PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Windows 7

GameJunkie
06-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Hi guys

Currently my PC specs are FX-6300, Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P, GTX 660 SC, 8GB ram with my OS on a WD 1TB black, and a 2TB green drive as additional storage.

Very soon I will be moving to a system consisting of a 4690K w/H100, GTX 660 SC(for now), 8GB 2400MHz ram, and i ill be reusing the above drives, all housed in an Air 540.

Several questions: Can i just plug in the drives and be on my way???, or no??

If i have to reinstall, will there be any problem using my product key again??

Thanks

pctek
06-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Very soon I will be moving to a system consisting of a 4690K w/H100, GTX 660 SC(for now), 8GB 2400MHz ram, and i ill be reusing the above drives, all housed in an Air 540.

Several questions: Can i just plug in the drives and be on my way???, or no??

If i have to reinstall, will there be any problem using my product key again??

Thanks

Motherboard different? Then yes, it will BSOD probably.
If not too dissimilar then you can update the drivers and get away with it.

O/S? Which one? Used to be you could get away with it, but newer stuff MS has made it way harder if there are any hardware chnages.

wainuitech
06-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Since the board will be changed it may throw a fit and simply blue screen. The Board listed is AMD where as the CPU listed is Intel.

"Legally" if your OS is OEM then you are not allowed to change the OS to another system/Hardware, as its locked to the original Motherboard.

Sometimes you can simply change drives and reinstall all the drivers etc, other times it will BSOD. ( there are ways around that as well) But often when changing like that its never the same as a fresh install. Some say windows will automatically boot and install drivers, -- But I can tell you now it doesn't always.

As for reactivating if you have to you'll have to call MS and get it manually activated as their records will say its already been activated on another PC.

GameJunkie
06-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Motherboard different? Then yes, it will BSOD probably.
If not too dissimilar then you can update the drivers and get away with it.

O/S? Which one? Used to be you could get away with it, but newer stuff MS has made it way harder if there are any hardware chnages.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Since the board will be changed it may throw a fit and simply blue screen. The Board listed is AMD where as the CPU listed is Intel.

"Legally" if your OS is OEM then you are not allowed to change the OS to another system/Hardware, as its locked to the original Motherboard.

Sometimes you can simply change drives and reinstall all the drivers etc, other times it will BSOD. ( there are ways around that as well) But often when changing like that its never the same as a fresh install. Some say windows will automatically boot and install drivers, -- But I can tell you now it doesn't always.

As for reactivating if you have to you'll have to call MS and get it manually activated as their records will say its already been activated on another PC.

I brought it when i built the PC last year

Looks like a reinstall and a call to MS

whats the number i would have to ring??

GameJunkie
06-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Edit: found the page on MS site on doing the phone activation

Edit 2: the stuff on the second drive( The 2TB green), i can just plug that one in no trouble??

wainuitech
06-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Edit: found the page on MS site on doing the phone activation

Edit 2: the stuff on the second drive( The 2TB green), i can just plug that one in no trouble??

As long as its only data on the second drive, no worries. Some people change the default location to install programs to a second drive, this may cause a problem if it was done.

Microsoft Number 0800 676 334 / Option 1 ( know it off by heart, call them enough - Sad eh ! ) :)

raymond_wd
06-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi GameJunkie, hope you're doing good. As on your query, if the Windows 7 installation has been formatted or deleted, you can install it again on another computer. It can only be installed on one computer at a time. Even for that, you might have to call Microsoft and explain what happened to complete the activation.

On top of that, you may replace any component of the computer except the motherboard without any problem with activation of an OEM Key. This is because OEM Keys are locked to the first motherboard on which they are activated. The only time they can be transferred to another motherboard is when it is replaced under warranty conditions.

Alternatively, you may contact the Windows support team for more information on the Windows activation, here is the link for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

Hope it helps.