PDA

View Full Version : MS Updates

Pato
29-10-2014, 09:46 AM
A couple of weeks ago I got updates 1 -17 but they froze on #10.

Since then, every time I close down, I get the usual "Don't switch off the Computer" and get update of 1 of 1, which on each occasion appears to be of the same duration.

I thought, rightly or wrongly, that they would just catch up, but that is not the case and I keep getting this update on closing.

Any clues of what has gone wrong and how I can fix it please.?

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Sometimes Updates get "Stuck" as I like to put it :)

The following will sometimes fix it sometimes wont.

First open a command prompt CMD / Run as Administrator type in net stop wuauserv < press enter> You should get a message saying the update server has stopped. ( you HAVE to stop the update server otherwise the following wont work) now open computer, navigate to C:\Windows -- Locate the SoftwareDistribution Folder. Either right click it, rename to something else Eg: SD.old or as I do delete it, ( it will end up in the recycle bin).

You can reboot, or open a CMD again, and type in net start wuauserv-- then try running windows updates again manually. I always reboot to make sure, the New SoftwareDistribution folder will be created automatically.

This will remove all downloaded updates that have not installed, and you may see that updates have never been run when you do it manually ( but they have).

The down side to removing it is you cant uninstall any previous updates should you have to.

Pato
29-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for you help. I got as far as renaming the SoftwareDistribution Folder but it says "Action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program".
I must have missed something.? Just re-read your info' and perhaps I should just delete it.?

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for you help. I got as far as renaming the SoftwareDistribution Folder but it says "Action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program".
I must have missed something.? Just re-read your info' and perhaps I should just delete it.?

You mean This ?

You generally will get that if the Update service is still running, what you should see is this when its stopped:

Pato
29-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I think I know where I went wrong. I rebooted after the update server had been stopped, and before I tried to rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder.

Should I now just delete the folder.? That will teach me to read your post properly.

Pato
29-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I saw your second example ok. Perhaps I should start again.?

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 02:38 PM
I saw your second example ok. Perhaps I should start again.? Run the command -- DONT reboot or it will restart it. Once the update service has stopped go into the Windows folder cut / paste the SoftwareDistrubition folder to the desk top ( or delete it) THEN reboot, once up and running, the update service will have restarted on its own and the folder recreated, run windows updates manually. :)

Pato
29-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks. I have always had updates done automatically. Sorry to be a pain, but how do I run updates manually.?

It appears to have fixed the problem of the repeating update so I have achieved something eh.?

I don't appear to have any updates on my computer now.?

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Click on check for updates in Windows update

Pato
29-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Click on check for updates in Windows updateDid that and two updates appear. Tried to install but they failed got a Code 66A. Checked for updates and only
the two failed updates appeared. There should be a heap of updates eh.?

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Was it a net framework 4 update?? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2507641/en-US)

If it is its corrupt. Depends if you've checked / installed any updates previously, on how many updates will appear now

Pato
29-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Was it a net framework 4 update?? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2507641/en-US)

If it is its corrupt. Depends if you've checked / installed any updates previously, on how many updates will appear nowYes a net framework 4 update. Prior to the trouble that
wainuitech is helping me with I had a page of updates, now have none. How do I get them back. Previously I had been receiving them automatically.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Follow that link

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 04:14 PM
After following the link that Speedy posted, re check manually for updates. Sometimes updates get selected that aren't required.

In real simple terms the software downloads to the SoftwareDistrubition Folder and installs. As long as the original folder and its contents are there previously installed updates can be removed if required, ( normally not a problem as most dont get uninstalled unless theres a "Bug" in the update). When rechecking manually it checks the system as to whats installed already, then offers any new ones. You'll find some may have already installed even though they were previously listed, now not OR not required.

Pato
29-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Does that mean when I deleted SoftwareDistribution my previously many listed updates do not show up.? I think I understand your explanation. Cheers.

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Does that mean when I deleted SoftwareDistribution my previously many listed updates do not show up.? I think I understand your explanation. Cheers. They should still show in Installed updates under programs and features, just not showing under windows updates ( on line)

Pato
29-10-2014, 05:31 PM
They should still show in Installed updates under programs and features, just not showing under windows updates ( on line)Yes they do. I have been further educated.
I sure appreciate your help.

Pato
17-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I have this problem back again. On 12/11/14 I got 13 updates, automatically installed, and every day since, I get 'update 1 of 1' each time I close down.

wainuitechs solution previously fixed the problem but it is not working on this occasion. Can anyone suggest what else I can try please.?

wainuitech
17-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Try this, My son had the exact same problem on his W8.1 lappie last friday.

Open a command prompt CMD as Admin, type chkdsk /r <Press Enter> You will get a message saying it needs to reboot, press Y then reboot, it should run the next time it starts.

It will take a while to run, but DONT stop it. His appeared to "hang" on 13-14% for roughly an hour -- he asked if he could crash it -- NO -- LEAVE IT ALONE, crashing it can cause all sorts of problems. When it finished roughly 2 hours later, windows updates went in fine this time. :) Happy son again.

Pato
17-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi and Thanks.

Pato
17-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Tried that and I got the following;

"The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked
the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

I can guess how to proceed but don't want to much things up?.

CliveM
17-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Select Y and reboot,

Pato
18-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Select Y and reboot,Dumb me. I didn't read wainuitechs instructions did I.

Pato
18-11-2014, 03:11 PM
wainuitech, Thanks for you further help with this problem. I ran chkdsk and it appears that the problem has gone, never to reappear, I hope.

I can beat your Sons effort, as it took 4.20 hours to run. Found 48KB of bad sectors.

wainuitech
18-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Good that it worked :)

My son-- Has his main Computer, then his laptop sitting right beside him on the desk as well, talk about multi tasking LOL, one is out for a while ( laptop) and you'd think someone cut his hand off ;) I'm damn sure if the desk was big enough he'd have another as well :D

Pato
18-11-2014, 04:37 PM
LOL. Oh to be young again!!

linw
18-11-2014, 08:27 PM
With bad sectors found, make sure you keep up those image backups! It is not a good sign to have bad sectors.

Pato
19-11-2014, 09:07 AM
wainuitech, I can't win. After two shutdowns without the problem it returned with a further shutdown. It looks like I will have to put up with the dam thing.
Fortunately it doesn't delay shutdown by too much but it is just annoying seeing it each time.

wainuitech
19-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Run chkdsk /r again, sometimes it may take a couple of goes.

you can also try running sfc /scannow.

Pato
19-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Run chkdsk /r again, sometimes it may take a couple of goes.

you can also try running sfc /scannow.OK. I will give chkdsk another go sometime. Thanks.

Pato
21-11-2014, 12:54 PM
wainuitech, I ran chkdsk again with the same results.

Tried sfc /scannow and that only got to Verification 23% complete. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them".

I presume that these corrupt files will be causing the "updates 1 of 1" each time I shut down and there is no way around it.? Looks as though I may have to live with it until such time as a reformat.?

linw
21-11-2014, 01:48 PM
If you have hard disk errors, a reformat isn't going to be the answer. I'd be doing a surface/error check on that drive to try to isolate the source of your errors.

Try the surface check using Hard Tune or use the disk manufacturer's diagnosis program.

Pato
21-11-2014, 02:14 PM
If you have hard disk errors, a reformat isn't going to be the answer. I'd be doing a surface/error check on that drive to try to isolate the source of your errors.

Try the surface check using Hard Tune or use the disk manufacturer's diagnosis program.OIC. The disk errors will still be there eh.? It looks like I will need a new HDD eventually.

What is Hard Tune likely to reveal.?

linw
22-11-2014, 08:40 AM
It is supposed to show bad sectors. Green = good, red = bad. It's probably not infallible but it's free and can't hurt to run it.

Edit: sorry, name is HD Tune.

Pato
22-11-2014, 10:46 AM
It is supposed to show bad sectors. Green = good, red = bad. It's probably not infallible but it's free and can't hurt to run it.

Edit: sorry, name is HD Tune.Thanks linw, Would a bad sector cause the problem of getting an "update 1 of 1" each time the computer was shutdown.?

linw
22-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Can't really say except that it depends where the bad sectors were and what was stored in that area.

It is also possible that you have two problems. File corruption and unrelated bad sectors!

But if chkdsk is reporting bad sectors it is still wise to check with another tool.