PDA

View Full Version : File Association

18-12-2001, 04:35 PM
Win 95. Somehow the file extension .doc is associated with a file type of rnjfile which is not on my system. When I go to the View/Options menu in explorer and try and create the file association for .doc files I get the message that .doc files are already associated with rnjfile. Scrolling down the list of file associations I can't even find the rnjfile type to edit it out. How can I get .doc files associated back to Word (97).

18-12-2001, 04:47 PM
Steve,

To reassoiate files with the .doc extension, hold down shift, right click on the file, and select open with... Select Word from the list and check the box to alway use this program with this type of file. Click OK.

19-12-2001, 03:06 PM
Try a free file associaton program like this one:
http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/17/12/ut1712.001.html

The program is described as:

With this utility, you can:

review all registered extensions;
review the file types associated with those extensions;
clean up invalid entries;
correct erroneous associations;
add an extension to an existing file type.

19-12-2001, 03:25 PM
TIP...running Windows(???) then a File Manager is already on your System.

It may be a throwback to Windows 3.1 but the file manager [among many other useful things] is good for fixing file associations that may have been misapplied or hijacked by an application

Try this:

Go - Start > Run > type WINFILE > press Enter.

(i) When File Manager opens, click File for menu and select the 'Associate...' command.

(ii) In the 'Files With Extension' text box - type the extension that you want to get rid of . When you do, you'll see the hijacked file association appear in the 'Associate With' text box.

(iii) To remove the file association, select 'None' (or use the down arrow to select and highlight a programme of choice) and then click OK.

Done!!!

e_