PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection woes...

R.M.
26-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I have just returned from a trip to Canada (great trip!). Prior to leaving home, my wireless network was working perfectly (well, well enough) - to allow me to use both my laptop and iPad at home. I took both of these with me to Canada and used them everywhere, in spite of very dodgy connections at times.

On returning to home, I find that when trying to use the wireless network, both the iPad and the laptop fail to connect, the laptop giving the following message:
"The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network". The iPad just says 'Incorrect password'.

So - I have 'managed' my wireless networks on the lappy and removed all the stray Canadian networks.
I have done a Factory reset on my NetComm NB6BPlusWn Router.
I have installed a new network on the router via my desktop (works perfectly there), but still get the same messages from the lappy and iPad...
I have tried to use an Ethernet cable to access/change the settings for the laptop (unsuccessfully). Not sure if the Ethernet cable is the right sort (I read on the Net it must be 5 or more, and don't know how to identify, but will go to town in an hour and ask).
The lappy is an Asus Ultrabook, I use Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

And I want to talk to my family in Sydney on Facetime tonight on the iPad (they have Apple gear there).

Help - any suggestions? Do I need to hire 'Rent a Nerd' or something similar? I've run out of ideas. :(

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2014, 09:09 AM
You have to connect to the modem again, then type in the right password from the laptop and Ipad

wainuitech
26-10-2014, 09:10 AM
"The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network". You "normally" get that message if you have connected to another router the same as yours, but with a different password.

Example: Meaning, if you connect to a NetComm with the password "qwerty" and its set to auto connect it will then try to connect to another NetComm automatically, but the password for the second Router could be "123456". Because the two routers are the same it tries to connect, but the passwords are wrong which could be why the iPad is saying so.

removed all the stray Canadian networks. What you can try, remove ALL the networks, then reboot (not needed but wont hurt) and then try to reconnect from fresh.

R.M.
26-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Ok - will try, and report back.

R.M.
26-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Ok - did that. Removed all networks from lappy, rebooted both the laptop & router. No joy. By the way, the password I use on the router is verrrry strong, have my doubts that anyone else would be using the same one (set up by the software engineer son...).

And unfortunately, the son lives a long way away, and can't help me just now. :(

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2014, 09:39 AM
So did you find the modem name on the laptop and Ipad then type the password in?? Did it bring up an error if it didnt work?

R.M.
26-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Yes, in both cases, and no, I didn't get in. And yes, the same error again.

Webdevguy
26-10-2014, 10:15 AM
My guess, when you are entering your password into the ipad you are entering a wrong character somewhere. I do that periodically with my Vodafone router which has a 13 character password which is easy to get wrong.

wainuitech
26-10-2014, 10:23 AM
From post #1
I have done a Factory reset on my NetComm NB6BPlusWn Router.

From Post #5
By the way, the password I use on the router is verrrry strong, have my doubts that anyone else would be using the same one (set up by the software engineer son...).

Log into the router Via the Desktop Computer that can access it. Check to see what the password actually is. By resetting it as suggested in Post 1 it will have wiped the one your Son put in, and set it to its default. Which of course will be completely different to what you are entering.

R.M.
26-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Ok - have been to town, now have an Ethernet cable (wot I was trying to use was a telephone connection - :(), so now have laptop connection to the internet. I am now able to connect with the Ethernet cable, but still get the same errors with wireless, in spite of setting up the NetComm page on the laptop the same as for the desktop (not sure of the logic of that). And no, I haven't made errors putting in the password (I have checked and checked again).

So - now what will I try?

wainuitech
26-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Try changing the password on the router to something different.

R.M.
26-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Erm - thought you might say that! (In the meantime - I have found there is a need to repartition and sort out my C Drive. It never rains but it B... well pours!).

R.M.
26-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Erm - thought you might say that! (In the meantime - I have found there is a need to repartition and sort out my C Drive. It never rains but it B... well pours!).

Oops - sorry about double post - symptom of the day, I suppose.

R.M.
26-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Right - doesn't fix it. (And I failed to repartition C Drive too...).

Any other thoughts for today? Pretty please!

wainuitech
26-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Just as a trial, go into the Router settings Via the desktop, in the wireless disable the security / Password. This will make it open, so you don't need one at all.

This of course is dangerous because anyone can jump onto your wireless. Scan for your network, select it, you may get a warning saying its unsecured, ignore it and see if it connects. If It does then log back into the router and try a uncomplicated password ( for the moment) this time reconnect and see if the password is accepted. If it is then you can increase the strength till it refuses again.

The open connection is only to test to see if it will connect OK.

What you can also try is renaming the network to something different (change the SSID displayed)

Make sure you save any setting that are changed. Seen it a few times (and done it myself), changed setting and forgot to click Apply / Save --oops :blush:

R.M.
26-10-2014, 02:08 PM
No - neither works. :(

wainuitech
26-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Okay--- lets just clear up a couple of things.

1. You can scan and see the network name ? Yes / No
1a. The signal is a reasonable strength ? Yes /No

If Yes:
2. It tries to connect with a password ?
3. It tries connect with out a password (open) ?
4. When it doesn't connect what is the exact (complete) message ?
5. It will connect to the internet Via a Ethernet cable ? Yes /No

Something else to check, have a look at the channel output on the router, see if its set to Auto, or is there a channel number ?

R.M.
26-10-2014, 03:21 PM
1. You can scan and see the network name ? Yes.
1a. The signal is a reasonable strength ? Yes.
2. It tries to connect with a password ? Yes.
3. It tries connect with out a password (open) ? Yes.
4. When it doesn't connect what is the exact (complete) message ? Windows unable to connect to ....
5. It will connect to the internet Via a Ethernet cable ? Yes.

I'm not sure what to look for channel output on the router, but can't see anything it might be, and don't see it being set to set to Auto, or is there a channel number.

Many thanks for your time and help on this, Wainui. It is truly appreciated. I do want to talk to my family in Sydney tonight on Facetime - haven't 'seen' them for 8 weeks. :(

wainuitech
26-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Hmmmm Okay, its as I Thought ( been one of those days today) Theres a couple of things you can try here: http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/fix-windows-is-unable-to-connect-to-the-selected-network/ Some you have already tied.

I suspect its the router since both the laptop and Ipad are having the same problem (password not being accepted)

To access the wireless Channel, open the router interface, along the top click on the Wireless Tab, near the middle is the Channel Number: (See Pic) This is from the Manual:

Just checked on a Netcomm Router I use as a tester that's been in more peoples places than I can remember, and never misses a beat :)

All I can suggest is have a look at the settings I have on the tester I use and see whats different. Of course the SSID and password will be different.

SWMBO has just brought in some "happy drinks" ;) so I wont be much use any more (not that so far been any use).

About the only other thing I can think off off hand, is to check for a firmware upgrade on the router, OR if you have an option, try some other wireless device that's never been on the connection and see if it connects. Since its two devices I suspect the router ( as previously mentioned).

R.M.
26-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes - it has been one of those days... You wouldn't believe what I have just done! I have inadvertently set about reformatting/reinstalling Windows.... Don't ask!

I've done it before, so I can do it again. Might take a while though.

I'll look at your suggestions in greater detail once I get this machine working again.

Two further thoughts - perhaps I could join you for some 'happy drinks'?
Other one - would buying a new router be an option for getting out of some of the wireless network difficulties (or would it just be a copout?)

Cheers & thanks again.

CliveM
27-10-2014, 08:28 AM
If the steps Wainui has given do not fix your problem then it definately looks like new router time to me.

R.M.
28-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Ok - update! Have a new router installed (Netgear N300 Wireless) after a few hiccups, but now I am getting the internet on my desktop. But nothing else has changed - I can't connect to the internet via wireless to my laptop of my iPod! It is telling me the Wireless is currently not enabled and the Password is still incorrect.

So - again - any suggestions? I am at the end of my tether. :(

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Okay, running out of Ideas here :illogical

Since this is happening to both the laptop & Ipad it has to be something in common. While they are both different OS's some things are similar:
Couple of things to check.
1. Think back to when you were away, did you have to change ANYTHING on both the Laptop & iPad when over seas ? no matter how minor or small it may seem, Eg: time, Date, regional settings, anything to do with the wireless to allow it to connect, any updates ?

2. This should be OK but check anyway -- Open Notepad or wordpad on the laptop. Type in the password, make sure its actually typing what you want, seen it happen before( and done it on my media PC) if theres something turned on that shouldn't be it could be typing something other than what you think.

3. On the laptop, reset winsock:
To reset Winsock:

1. Click start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.

2. Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note If the command is typed incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Type the command again. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt. Then, go to step 3.

3. Type exit, and then press ENTER. You should be prompted to reboot, if not you should reboot and test.

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Just adding to above, I assume the wireless settings are the same as I pictured previously Eg: AES encryption, WPA2 etc ?

R.M.
29-10-2014, 09:08 AM
'I assume the wireless settings are the same as I pictured previously Eg: AES encryption, WPA2 etc ?'

Yes - they are.

Now I'm away to get the 'Golden Locks' sorted out - something one can do while being paid by Uncle John! However, the resources are a bit less. :(
I'll ponder the rest when I get back.

Ta. :)

R.M.
29-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Rightoh, back again. I didn't even change the time/date while I was away - kept them on NZ time. Internet access in the wilds of Canada was difficult. I came back with increased enthusiasm about NZ's internet. Most places we stayed, connection was difficult, with frequent dropouts and difficult to make contact to begin with - this in spite of advertise wireless network wherever we stayed. So - other than frequent and difficult to make connections, we didn't make any changes on our laptops/ipad. My friend took the same type (Asus) and has had no probs connecting to her home network since we returned.

I have asked her (and another friend who has an ipad) to come to my place to see if they can connect to my network. But this probably won't happen for few more days. :(

I did the Notepad thing - no change.

I reset the wireless net adapter

I reset Winsock

I suppose I should be grateful I've got the desktop going (mostly, did lose a couple of year's emails - some of which were personally important to me) - but mostly all my programmes are going now. Good tidy up! Been putting it off for quite a while, had planned for it to be a retirement project!

wainuitech
29-10-2014, 01:53 PM
That's damn weird :confused: I'm right out of ideas for the moment. Maybe someone else can think of something ????

Try this -- Go into the routers settings, change the channel number on the wireless to 11, save - try again.

May pay to wait till your friends come over and try another device, the new router you got is fine, installed a few of them. Most devices should connect with a open connection (no password) They'll complain about security, yeah yeah carry on, but should connect.
Since its two devices, laptop and iPad with the same error one would suspect its the router. One router giving problems - Yes, two completely different routers, one being new-- not impossible, but unlikely.

Could be one of those " flippin hell ---dhurrr that's the problem" if it could be seen.

Had a job like that this morning relating to wireless, some other person who "knows all about computers" ;) had tried over the last few days and couldn't help. The way the person described what "could be the problem" on the phone, it sounded like a reinstall may be required, on arrival,when looking at the computer, saw the problem within a minute -- some third party firewall was causing the problem - removed it and everything came to life :thumbs:

R.M.
29-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm still hoping for an obvious solution, but one of my friends came just before - and no, we can't her lappy to get into my wireless network either. It works fine in her home (and she was with me in Canada).

:( :(

R.M.
29-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Right - getting closer! Took the password out altogether (had done that before on my NetComm router with no joy. THIS time - all good and in I went. Then put a password in - and I can still get in on the ipad, but not the laptop. Must check again what I did!

R.M.
16-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Just reporting back: Today the laptop really annoyed me. I wasn't able to get the data projector to show what was on the laptop, then Photoshop blew a fuse - so, I reformatted the laptop. Now the laptop has perfect wireless connection - BUT the data projector is still now showing the laptop stuff.

So - good news and bad news. Any suggestions about getting the data projector to talk to the laptop??? :)

R.M.
17-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Fixed it!