PDA

View Full Version : new SDCards & old cardreaders

23-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a few older cardreaders that support SDCards.
Problem is they wont read my new SDcards.

Is this a known issue, or could it be that all 3 of my older cardreaders are faulty ?
Do I need a newer cardreader thats compatible with modern SDcards ? eg 8G or 32G SD-HC

KarameaDave
23-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I didn't think so but then I saw this when searching your problem, I have not tried it so your mileage may vary, as they say.

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/219/adding-sdhc-support-for-windows-with-your-old-sd-card-reader/

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Could be because the new cards are SDHC? Older card readers didnt support them / higher capacity SD cards. Buy a card reader that supports SDHC.

KarameaDave
23-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Could be because the new cards are SDHC? Older card readers didnt support them / higher capacity SD cards. Buy a card reader that supports SDHC.

That's what I thought too Speedy.
But that article has comments from many who have enabled SDHC support on SD readers that don't 'officially support' it
using those hotfixes, worth a look at I would have thought.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2014, 01:16 PM
There have been updates for windows to support it. But I doubt that will work on a card reader that doesnt support it at all

autechre
24-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Yep, you'll need a new reader if the old one wont read the SDHC cards. They're cheap enough these days :D

linw
24-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Yea, had to re-buy as well.

PPp
25-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Not only do the older readers not support the newer style cards they don't have the right slot either. you should be OK once you change over, as the newer cards can store thousands of pics at higher capacity's. I brought a 64 GB card last year and it is just about impossible to fill up unless you go crazy with your photography or do video's!

Agent_24
25-10-2014, 10:32 PM
But that article has comments from many who have enabled SDHC support on SD readers that don't 'officially support' it
using those hotfixes, worth a look at I would have thought.

Who are these people? I have 3 card readers that came out before SDHC and none of them have ever worked no matter what I do.

That said, the card reader in my Toshiba laptop wouldn't read cards above 512MB until I upgraded the drivers.