PDA

View Full Version : TV Card Alternative (USB)

goodiesguy
18-10-2014, 12:17 PM
My old PCI TV card will not fit in my new box (which is a pizza style box, yeah, I know, not the best, but it's practically silent). All I need is something with a composite (yellow AV) input so I can connect my VCR and SKY to my computer to record (in DV or lossless .avi)

What are my options? I know I can get USB ones on TradeMe for $15, but I thought I'd consult here first. My TV card is pretty old anyway, and didn't give the best picture.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2014, 02:24 PM
I think most cards or adapters record in MP4.. Not AVI. What do you need the VCR for. Most tuners can record to hdd

Agent_24
21-10-2014, 11:21 PM
If you are going to be recording through composite the quality is unlikely to be any better over your old setup which I assume was using the same thing.

Of course if your source is a VCR it's unlikely to make much difference either way.. but if your VCR can do S-Video or something better than composite, you might want to use that instead, and get a card that can handle it.

Sky decoder will be better if you keep the output digital, but you would probably need a HDCP stripper as well as capture device that supports HDMI etc.

goodiesguy
22-10-2014, 10:30 AM
I think most cards or adapters record in MP4.. Not AVI. What do you need the VCR for. Most tuners can record to hdd

The VCR is for transferring old VHS tapes to my hard drive.

goodiesguy
22-10-2014, 10:31 AM
If you are going to be recording through composite the quality is unlikely to be any better over your old setup which I assume was using the same thing.

Of course if your source is a VCR it's unlikely to make much difference either way.. but if your VCR can do S-Video or something better than composite, you might want to use that instead, and get a card that can handle it.

Sky decoder will be better if you keep the output digital, but you would probably need a HDCP stripper as well as capture device that supports HDMI etc.

I just used my old card to tape things off sky to my hard drive, and ocasionally I'd plug the VCR in and transfer VHS tapes.

dugimodo
22-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Why not just try one of the $15 ones and see how well it works, no great problem at that price.
Some older TV/Capture cards ignored macrovision protection and recorded anyway, you may find newer ones don't do this and you may not be able to record from sky or copy protected VHS tapes. I had a winfast TV2000 or something like that that recorded anything you connected to it but my Hauppage HVR900 USB tuner gave me a grey box with a copyright message from some sources. I long since gave up transferring VHS or recording from composite though, once you go HD it's hard to live with such low quality.

goodiesguy
24-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with one of those cheap USB ones for now. I've got nothing to lose.