PDA

View Full Version : finding and backing up outlooks archive files

dugimodo
17-10-2014, 09:48 AM
My work laptop has hard drive issues and some bad clusters so I'm anticipating it going off for repair shortly.
I have my outlook set to archive old E-mail to the C: drive. Anyone know how I backup that archive and transfer it to a new machine?
I tried googling it but the instructions seem more about backing up your current E-mails rather than the archive.

I think it's office 2003 we are using and windows XP, they are not in the habit of upgrading software much around here.

Currently Chkdsk has been running for about 90 mins and is 50% through stage 5. It has found some bad clusters so things don't look good.
All this came about just because I can't save files from paint or acrobat reader, everything else seems to be working fine for the moment si I have a chance to back stuff up.

17-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Archive is just a single PST file
easy way : search for archive.pst. copy to USB HD

better way. Control panel, mail, data files , open file location. Copy/backup .
You may also want to backup your .nk2 file (autocomplete). Thats not so easy.
What about your current email, back that up as well ?? & your docs

The IT tech doing the repair SHOULD be able to easily do all this for you.

dugimodo
17-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Our IT people are in India.... things take days sometimes and I'm sure backing things up is something I can handle.

Current E-mail is on the exchange server so no need to back that up. I'm just trying to anticipate issues because I may have to send it away for repair and need some way to access my files in the mean time, should be able to find a spare pc around the office somewhere temporarily. A lot of my files are stored on the network anyway so impact isn't too bad.

nmercer
17-10-2014, 01:18 PM
just find all the .PST files on your hard drive and copy them

cmd
c:
cd\
dir *.pst /s

inphinity
17-10-2014, 02:21 PM
If the email archive is worth keeping, is it not already being backed up somewhere?

ronyville
18-10-2014, 08:15 AM
If you are using Windows 7 than by default it should be in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook