PDA

View Full Version : Software for new computer build

lostsoul62
15-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I know if I buy an OS put it on my computer and then later throw away the computer and build another one I can transfer the OS to the new computer. Can I do that with MS office? I have MS office student 2010 3 users on 3 computers and I built a new computer and spending $150 so I can use word and excel really sucks? I heard that buying 2013 Office for $139 put it on your computer and a week later your computer blows up you just lost that $139, does that sound about right?

wainuitech
15-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I know if I buy an OS put it on my computer and then later throw away the computer and build another one I can transfer the OS to the new computer Depending on what OS it is, will depend on if you can legally do it. If its W7 OEM, then legally you are not allowed to as its tied to the motherboard, only with a Retail version can be changed over. If its OEM its meant to die when the computer does.

The licencing changed in W8 so its slightly different-- Heres the actual Licence for W8 http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

As for the Office, if it has a 3 user licence, then as long as its not on anymore than 3 PC's at a time its fine. If it wont activate and you have to call MS, all you need to advise is its been removed from one PC that's no longer being used and put onto another - they usually will then manually reactivate it.

Re office 2013. Nope it was like that, but its now changed: Quoted in plain English:
Now the Office 2013 licensing works like you’d expect it should. Purchasing the license grants you the right to install the software on a single PC. If that PC breaks, or gets lost or stolen, or you upgrade and replace it with a new one, you can install Office 2013 on the new PC. You can also sell or transfer the license to another user. The primary requirement under this license is that the Office 2013 software can only exist in one place, and be installed on one computer at any given time. if you have office 365 that's different again. You can have it on as many computers as the Licence allows. For example, Office 365 Home Pre has 5 users, as long as its only on 5 devices, its fine, if you need to remove one or two, simply log into the office site /your account, select the ones you want to deactivate, then reactivate on a new device, again as long as you don't try to do it on more than the licence allows its fine :)

lostsoul62
15-10-2014, 11:51 AM
As for the Office, if it has a 3 user licence, then as long as its not on anymore than 3 PC's at a time its fine. If it wont activate and you have to call MS, all you need to advise is its been removed from one PC that's no longer being used and put onto another - they usually will then manually reactivate it.[/QUOTE]

I know sells won't do that so what department should I be looking for because they have a lot of departments

wainuitech
15-10-2014, 11:57 AM
If Office 2010 or any MS product for that manner throws up a " cant activate" message, you call the number given for your country, the voice prompts tell you want to select, and you'll be passed onto a human.

Had to do that the other day with W8, changed some hardware and it deactivated :( said exceeded the number of activations, called MS and finally got it re-activated. The guy at MS was hard to understand and had to repeat the 42 digit product ID 5 times -- if I had to speak any slower it would have been at a stop ;)

lostsoul62
16-10-2014, 03:33 AM
I called Microsoft up and it took about an hour but I took MS Office off my 6 year old computer and put it on my new build so I can have 3 computers running MS Office 2010 and can take it off one and put it on another but I must of went though a hundred numbers doing it but it was worth saving $139.

pctek
16-10-2014, 06:19 AM
OS or Office - if it's retail you can re-use it. Legally.
If OEM then you can't. Legally.

Why not just use Libre Office, completely compatible, free and you can change settings to save in .doc (or .docx) and .xls (or .xlsx)

wainuitech
16-10-2014, 07:02 AM
I must of went though a hundred numbers doing it :eek:

Didn't you do it like I mentioned. Every time I've had to do that it goes like this.

Install Office - it will simply install, activate and you carry on. If not then if its already on 3 PC's or being re-installed-- it comes up with a message cant activate (Similar wording)

Call the number from the drop down box that relates to your country.
The first option is activate a Microsoft Product you have purchased or came pre installed on your PC- Press 1 -- You enter in the 42 digit code on the screen into the phone.

You get a message saying its already been activated or exceeded the number of activation's - if you think you are getting this message in error press 1 ( From Memory)

You then get a Microsoft help person. Explain that the Office which has a 3 user licence was on an old PC, now dead (or original PC- What ever it was) and you only had it installed in total 3 times, you are just re-installing it- or removing it from one PC and putting on another.

As long as they believe you or they may ask a couple of simple questions - The MS help person may ask you to read back the 42 digit code to confirm -- Then gives you a new set of numbers to type in -- Done

Normally less than 10 minutes, hardest thing is sometimes the call center person doesn't understand or speak English to well.

If you simply call Microsoft, on their day to day number, then yes you'll get the run around.