PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't start

18-12-2001, 02:36 PM
I have a 6 year old 486 that I went to switch on last week and unfortunately it didn't go. The screen switched on fine which draws its power from the computer. But no response from the computer.
What repairs am I looking at and how much would they cost?

18-12-2001, 03:06 PM
Does the mobo show any power signs at all?

The power for the monitor and the mobo are separate. So you can have either the mobo working or the monitor working if one or the other fail.

Just replacing a the power supply would fix this problem. Though you wouldn't want to fork out for a new power supply you could probably pick up a second hand pretty cheap.

The mobo could be dead too you can perform tests on the power connections to the mobo with a voltmeter.

18-12-2001, 04:46 PM
6yrs old is pretty well near the end of its life.

Power supply fitted about $100.00

Could be other things wrong too.

Depending what you use the computer for, could be time to consider a new one.

If it does every thing you need, then consider repair, but no garantee how long other components will last.

18-12-2001, 05:04 PM
Do any lights appear on the front of the box? Any sounds from disk drives? Is the fan going? Do you see the Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll lock lights flash after power on?

19-12-2001, 08:15 AM
step 1
clear a space aprox 1 meter around the main unit

step 2
gently hit with the palm of your hand graduating in force till your hand gets sore

step 3
feelings of satisfaction should be starting as you take your frustrations out on the bad bad machine

step 4
get large sensative two way adjuster...(sledge hammer)

step 5
pound the hell out of the thing

step 6
go to shop and buy new computer while you still feel satisfied and before you remember all the painful hours spent staring at the screen wondering what the hell the puter is doing now and the sinking feeling when you get the blue screen of death

step 7
I'm only joking.... please dont actually do this

sorry I have no actuall idea how to fix your puter but good luck

19-12-2001, 09:16 AM
Hi Jeremy,
Same thing happened to our 'younger' computer (by 2 yrs). Had helpful advise from this board, but had to take it to our computer repairer. He found he had to replace the CPU (total cost $160.00), thats been done, but because we live in the back of beyond, have not been in to collect it to see how it runs. Good luck
Heather

20-12-2001, 01:31 AM
Where do u live? i know a fair bit about 486's and have alot of parts about the place and certianly wouldnt charge that much to fit a power supply. email me and let me know if you need any help lisa_marie40@hotmail.com