PDA

View Full Version : Buying a DVD Burner

goodiesguy
13-10-2014, 07:25 AM
I've got a new setup, below in signature (given to me, it's not the best, but it's much better and faster than my old setup). The DVD drive with it is dead, and I am unable to use the ones out of my old setup due to them being IDE and this new setup is all SATA.

Where would I find the best deal on a DVD burner these days? I did think of getting a Blu-Ray drive, but I own ONE, yes, ONE blu-ray (which I don't even have anything to play on, but was given to me) and all the stuff I buy is mostly DVD only.

Playtech has one for $45 http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=174/ID=20205/SID=214309240/productdetails.html

I'm fine to pay that, But is there anything cheaper price wise, or is that the current going rate?

Thanks for any help :)

wainuitech
13-10-2014, 07:53 AM
I use either ASUS or lite-On. Normally Lite-ons because they are a couple of $$ cheaper, around $40. On some of the PC's I install a Blu-Ray combo drive, which has the ability to Play Blu-Ray, but not burn them, as well as a all the other DVD options ( Burn & Read)

dugimodo
13-10-2014, 08:30 AM
My last couple have been lg and they've been good too at a similar price. A while back though I bought a slim external USB drive.
It costs a bit more but I don't bother putting internal drives in my builds any more so it gets used for installing software as required.

goodiesguy
13-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I use either ASUS or lite-On. Normally Lite-ons because they are a couple of $$ cheaper, around $40. On some of the PC's I install a Blu-Ray combo drive, which has the ability to Play Blu-Ray, but not burn them, as well as a all the other DVD options ( Burn & Read)

Yeah, my previous drive was an ASUS, and my secondary one i think might be a lite on. Unsure. So around 40 seems the going rate. Just wanted to make sure. This is the newest stuff I've ever owned. The mobo doesn't even have PS/2 ports so I'm having to use a USB gaming mouse and an Apple keyboard until I've got the money next week to buy a $5 USB to PS/2 adapter.

Agent_24
13-10-2014, 09:56 AM
You may be able to get and IDE/SATA converter board for cheaper. Just make sure it supports optical drives as some only support HDDs

A PCI IDE card is probably cheaper still. That's what I bought since my newest motherboard only had one IDE port. Cheaper than buying two new drives.

FoxyMX
13-10-2014, 11:08 AM
<<A PCI IDE card is probably cheaper still. That's what I bought since my newest motherboard only had one IDE port. Cheaper than buying two new drives.>>

That's what I would do. I hate having to buy new parts, programs, etc just because the plugs or whatever are different when the ones I already have are perfectly fine. You get more use out of the DVD drive/s you already have and save money = win-win.

goodiesguy
24-10-2014, 11:39 AM
The one I bought (outlined in the first post) is bloody fantastic! I literally finish putting the disc in, and the autoplay popup shows. I can't believe how fast this disc drive is compared to my old IDE ones.

Agent_24
24-10-2014, 11:56 AM
More likely to do with faster optics than the data interface.