PDA

View Full Version : Active@ Image Recovery

bk T
12-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Senario:

Win7 Ultimate SP1

1 TB Seagate HDD with the following partitions: C:\ 292GB D:\488GB R:\150GB

Created Image with Active@, stored in R:\Active@ verified image OK

Now, I have encountered a problem and wish to restore from the image created earlier but only find that I'm greeted with the following message:

Here is the Souce partition I selected:

What have I done wrong?

pctek
12-10-2014, 02:24 PM
First, you have booted off the CD to run it right?

Second, you say the image is on R: which is 150GB.
The selection I see there is not 150GB and Header and System are not partitions you should touch - so that is not the SOurce.

Source is where you have the image stored.

Destination is the partition you wish to overwrite - which would be C: I imagine - 292Gb.

CliveM
12-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Boot off the Active@ Boot Disk. Select the image you wish to restore and you should be good to go. If you try to do it while you are running Active @ after a normal boot into Win on C: it cannot write to C: because you are already using C: to run the program.

bk T
12-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I know it looks not quite right. But when I selected 'Image to Disk' , Image to Disk Wizard -Locate Source Image File opens up and could browse through to select the image I created without any problem; but, after I clicked Next, the 'Select Source Disk or Partition opens up as shown in my first snapshot above, there's no other options - the R:\ where my image file is not visible.

* I did booted Active@ from USB and tried from CD as well gives same results.

wainuitech
12-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Dont know if I'm reading the explanation correctly or not, ( nice day, few drinks outside in the sun weeeeeeee :) )

But once you get to the point of selecting the Location of the Image, in this case Drive R, you should see a folder called DiskImage (unless you renamed it) you double click the Folder, in there will be a Image file, once you select that next and you'll be presented with the Picture you have above, if you tick everything / Drive Like its shown it wont work if only restoring one partition, as selecting the drive option as you did will do just that, the complete Drive, As its trying to put back the complete drive. Select Only the actual drive/partition you want to restore,as shown below

Once you have selected Only the partition, on the Next, you'll get the option as to where to put it. This is an example of My PC here: ( in the photo it will be drive C)

Just make sure you dump it in the right partition other wise it can really ruin your day :) Been there - done that :o

bk T
12-10-2014, 10:22 PM
OK, so the mistake I made was, I selected the the whole HDD rather than the just the partition itself. It's a bit confusing here, this is supposed to be 'Select Source Disk or Partition' and the 'Source' partition (where my image sits) is not visible!

Will try it again tomorrow.

wainuitech
13-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Is the Drive R, an external USB HDD or a internal ?

bk T
13-10-2014, 09:44 AM
R:\ is just a partition of the main and only 1TB internal HDD.

wainuitech
13-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Hmmmm OK So when you click on image to Disk, and browse for the Image, does R not show up as mine does ( drive V) ?

bk T
13-10-2014, 10:16 AM
When I selected 'Image to Disk' , Image to Disk Wizard -Locate Source Image File opens up and could browse through to select the image I created.

It shows up when I clicked browse to select the image file and I've no problem in locating the image file.

wainuitech
13-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Found your problem, (Had time this morning, duplicated it) The problem is because you have the backup on the One Drive.

What you need to do, as per your pictures above in post 1, untick everything except E ( this is actually R - look at its size , about right for a image with data/programs etc), on the next window you will then see all the partitions, select the partition thats got the OS currently on it - It should be D - See Note below (assuming you want to replace it) the window after that, make sure its set to Primary (default settings) and it will put back the Image.

BUT you'll find it wont boot, you will get invalid boot disk error, so you will need to boot from your WIndows 7 DVD, and repair the boot options by selecting start up repair.

Note:
You will find the system reserved will be C, your main Drive D and the other partitions something different to what you named lettered them. What a lot of people dont know, is when Windows installs, the system reserved IS actually C, but its hidden from windows so thats why Windows is seen as C, but in bootable CD's the real drive letters are shown.

You would be better off saving your Disk Image to either another HDD or external HDD, saving it to the one drive ( even partitioned) is dangerous simply because when the drive fails (all drives fail one day) the image will be lost along with the rest of the data.

If you were to have the image on an external HDD, you would select everything as you have in the second picture post #1 - this then puts back everything and it should boot fine right away.

wainuitech
13-10-2014, 11:59 AM
oops double posted.

bk T
13-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, wainuitech.

I did what you suggested and used the Win7 DVD to perform the repair and got it up and running again.:thanks

bk T
12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, I tried this:

From Active@ Disk to Image, I selected only C:\ (System Reserve partition not selected), image file location: D:\Active@ where D:\ is a partition of the same HDD as C:\.

When restoring, I selected only C:\ and it went through smoothly and booted to Windows 7 without any issues.

However, I don't know if I were to use the PC for sometime, will there be any changes made to the 'System Reserve Partition' and whether or not it will be able to restore correctly? Could it be that Active@ is not capable of backing up and restoring more than one partition at a time?

gary67
12-11-2014, 06:28 PM
It certainly can and does. On my desktop I always image just C and the boot partition whereas on my netbook I always image C7D drives as it has so little stored on it anyway. Never had an image fail always tested after creating.

wainuitech
12-11-2014, 07:00 PM
It certainly can and does. On my desktop I always image just C and the boot partition whereas on my netbook I always image C7D drives as it has so little stored on it anyway. Never had an image fail always tested after creating.
:+1:

The problem appears because the backup was on the same drive as the Original OS. ( as posted in #11) On separate drives no problem.