PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Lawrence
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
This took some by surprise,they decided to skip Windows 9 and are in the process of releasing Windows 10

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/30/announcing-windows-10/

Looks to be quite a few changes

Here for the Preview(trouble accessing ATM) http://prev.windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

:thumbs:

01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
And since Win9 will be free, the rumour is that MS will pay us to install Win10

One of the key features of Win10 will be a cloud service that automatically deletes all your files .
There will also be a cloud feature that is pre-hacked & pre-leaked, just to save time & effort .
The start menu will be gone again, as will all support for keyboards.
You will need a Windows Live a/c & a MS Store a/c just to login to Win10, this will require your Credit Card to be uploaded . In the fine print you will be giving MS
access to everything on the PC, including all your contacts, photos, webcams (just like android apps)

wainuitech
01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
One of the key features of Win10 will be a cloud service that automatically deletes all your files . Apple already have that stuff up perfected. :D

01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Apple already have that stuff up perfected. :D

Yep, lets give apple some credit here. They deleted the middleman to speed up the process.

Other lesser providers make you wait for hackers using security flaws to do that . Or a very well known cloud service that had security so bad a worker could just take a huge list of user login/passwords home on his USB stick (who then had that list stolen by hackers) .
:thumbs:

pctek
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
MS new versions are getting as fast as Firefoxs....

bk T
01-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Only difference is, FF is free but MS isn't. :D

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Just downloaded and installed the preview. Theres two options, a exe file which looks like its a an upgrade to a current install at around 4 MB, OR the ISO at 3.81GB for a fresh install.

As MS have stated if you run the upgrade:
After you install Windows Technical Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.
So don't crying if its installed and the current OS is removed and cant be put back.

Just checked out the start menu - Sorry but its going to be a PITA ( first thoughts) yes it pops up like W7 and before, theres two options of either the Apps or Standard.

If anyone thought all the old settings would return exactly as they were - at the moment they aren't by default.

First thing to do was remove all the tiles that I don't use, that doesn't leave much ;)

The saving Grace is once you expand out the folders ( hunt in other words) you can pin items to the live tile section:

Control Panel for example:

If you want to use the start screen like W8 -8.1, the option is there as well.

It boots directly to the desktop and the tiles (old style start Screen) are not there unless its selected as above. I did read that if the OS detects you have a touch Screen they are enabled, but no touch screen to try :)

It does have multi Windows and desktops available, which will be good, but OS's like Linux have had that for a while AFAIK.

Over all currently it did install fast, exactly the same as W8, didn't have to sign into MS, as I Used the Customise setup ( same as W8)

More to follow no doubt.

dugimodo
02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I'll be interested to see what's different from windows 8 other than the cosmetic changes to the start menu/screen. So far it doesn't seem that different.

02-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I'll be interested to see what's different from windows 8 other than the cosmetic changes to the start menu/screen. So far it doesn't seem that different.

Given that MS (and others) still dont think there was anything wrong with Win8, it will be minor changes to the interface/GUI, and a few new features.
I doubt they will re-write the OS, so it should have been called 8.2
:rolleyes:

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Just got back from a job, so bit more time to "play" On the "How to" link from the feed back theres a video showing some of the Start Menu options.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/preview-how-to#how-to=tab0

One other way to add the option you want to the start menu I just located is to right click the Task Bar / Properties / Start Menu / Customise - a lot of the old settings are not activated. so you can make them active: Went nuts and ticked most ;)

The Task View and multi desktops will be handy.

Got 4 open here:

So far apart from that There's a not a lot cosmetically / Functions that are different from W 8.1.

For people who don't like the tiles, you can make them more or less disappear completely as long as you don't click on the "ALL APPS" from the start Menu :p

Think it will be a very quick learning curve if you are using Windows 8.1

If the upgrade to 10 from 8.1 is free as its been suggested then fine.

More testing and exploring to do -- Obviously. :nerd:

In case anyone's interested the preview is good till April 2015

plod
02-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Surely task view and desktops isnt new.

wratterus
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I like it. Seems even quicker than 8 on my crappy old Dell Optiplex.

Basically what 8 should have been first time around. Upgrades will have to either be free or dirt cheap to make it worthwhile though.

paulw
02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Ah Windows 6.4 huh?? Just downloading the 64 bit ISO as I read this post..

Lawrence
02-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Some report more speed with Win 10,already tinkering with it on MDL

Playing around with the start menu http://www.howtogeek.com/197586/how-to-make-the-windows-10-start-menu-look-more-like-windows-7/

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Surely task view and desktops isnt new.

You're right :thumbs:

Alt+Tab will show all open Windows and you can select which one. (Most general users don't know the shortcut keys)

In Windows there hasn't been a multi Desktops (by default) only Via third party software.

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Basically what 8 should have been first time around.

Deja Vu

What 7 was to Vista :lol:

ruup
02-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Interesting anyone got an anti virus that works?

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Interesting anyone got an anti virus that works? NOD32.

And right away it was advising of updates.

pcuser42
02-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Just beware if you're installing Windows 10 in Virtualbox, as the guest additions doesn't yet support Windows 10 (even under Windows 8 compatibility mode; the virtual graphics card crashes).

I can't judge performance for the above reason.

paulw
02-10-2014, 03:09 PM
I like it. Seems even quicker than 8 on my crappy old Dell Optiplex.

Basically what 8 should have been first time around. Upgrades will have to either be free or dirt cheap to make it worthwhile though.

Sure is. I can live with this out of the box instead of having to install Classic Shell first..

ruup
02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Is it possible to bypass the log on BS ?

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Is it possible to bypass the log on BS ? Yep, its EXACTLY the same as Windows 8 -8.1.

When you install the OS make sure its not connected to the internet /LAN ( this is VERY important) when you get to the screen setting, DONT select the Default /Express option. If you are connected to a working internet connection it usually wont give you the option to customize.

Select CUSTOMIZE Button. As shown in the setting picture ( the picture shows Express -- DONT click that)

Once you click Customize you can basically go next , next etc, you'll get to a window to enter your name, Thats it. It Wont boot to a log in screen unless you enable it later. ( Via the Store for example) Even then its easy to disconnect the log in and set it back to the local log in. I've found that if you do setup to log in Via a account first, it can be difficult to disable it.

This "Setup" is from W8, 8.1 and now 10.

ruup
02-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Bummer,so I have to reinstall it...nuts.Is it possible to gain admin rights so I can delete windows old?

Bryan
02-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Have a look on google for netplwiz. You can bypass the need for a password. You will still get the sign on screen but it goes straight through.

Lawrence
02-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Quite interesting comparing Windows from vista to Windows 10 TP(with more to be added it seems)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/olivnie/archive/2014/10/01/who-really-knows-windows-10-technical-preview.aspx

wainuitech
02-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Bummer,so I have to reinstall it...nuts.Is it possible to gain admin rights so I can delete windows old?

To delete the windows.old folder - always done it this way - windows-old-folder-delete-windows-8-a.html (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2527-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-8-a.html)

As for the removing of the password, sometimes you can do it by removing the password as Bryan points out, but I've often found it comes back.

Doing it the way I posted before, you can remove/ switch accounts. Let me explain, when you sign in it logs into an account, when you don't its actually a local account ( not a internet one) hope that makes sense.

What you can try is how I usually get the accounts to swap over.

Works as I said if not signed in from the start, should work this way, but cant guarantee it. No Idea what will happen in W10, haven't tried it.

Open the control Panel - User Accounts - near the top is a link "Make changes to my account in PC settings"

Then click "Disconnect" The picture below says connect to a MS account, but yours will say disconnect.

You'll be prompted for the current password, enter it, then you will need to select your account if more than one, other wise the default will be there (don't enter a password).

It "should" automatically create a local account with all your previous guff. On disconnecting it will show the log in window, BUT as long as it loads up OK on reboot it should go straight to the desktop.

The above method doesn't always work if a local account isn't created first, so in W10 it may be a trial and error.

ruup
02-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Many thanks for your help.Cheers

Agent_24
02-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Just beware if you're installing Windows 10 in Virtualbox, as the guest additions doesn't yet support Windows 10 (even under Windows 8 compatibility mode; the virtual graphics card crashes).

I can't judge performance for the above reason.

Bare metal all the way...

pcuser42
03-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Bare metal all the way...

I'm now dual booting on my tablet ;)

paulw
03-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Hey Wainuitech. I have been playing with this as dual boot on my laptop. One thing I can't change is the way updates are done. I like to set mine to download but let me install. The option to change this is grayed out. Yes I am the admin..
Thanx in advance..

pcuser42
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
At a guess, it might be disabled because it's pre-release software?

wainuitech
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Yep, its designed so it cant be turned off.

From windows-10-tech-preview-keep-these-7-things-in-mind.html (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690912/trying-windows-10-tech-preview-keep-these-7-things-in-mind.html) Last sentence #3

In addition, Windows Update will be set to automatically install important updates on your PC as they become available. “You won’t be able to turn off automatic updates in Windows Technical Preview,”

pcuser42
03-10-2014, 10:37 AM
It appears Windows 10 has removed support for floppy drives. I was wondering when that would happen. :thumbs:

paulw
03-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Yep, its designed so it cant be turned off.

From windows-10-tech-preview-keep-these-7-things-in-mind.html (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690912/trying-windows-10-tech-preview-keep-these-7-things-in-mind.html) Last sentence #3

Thanx..

nmercer
04-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Hey Wainuitech. I have been playing with this as dual boot on my laptop. One thing I can't change is the way updates are done. I like to set mine to download but let me install. The option to change this is grayed out. Yes I am the admin..
Thanx in advance..

Windows Update will be set to automatically install important updates as they become available. You won’t be able to turn off automatic updates in Technical Preview, but you will be able to choose between a fast or slow update cadence. To change when preview builds are installed, open PC settings, click Upgrade and recovery, click Preview builds, and then click Change the time my PC installs preview builds

wainuitech
04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
So far its working fine on my old laptop as well, apart from the fact it doesn't want to install the AMD graphic Drivers. But the default MS drivers are working fine.

Had one minor BUG / Hiccup Hmmmmmm Went into This PC, and enabled desktop Icons,- The thing went all nuts for a second - Had a desktop FULL of Multiple "This PC" icons :illogical

Unticked the option from change desktop icons and re ticked, it then came back to the one it was meant to have. Bit of fun :)

pcuser42
04-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Had a desktop FULL of Multiple "This PC" icons :illogical

So it's not just me then...

I found just refreshing the desktop got rid of them, at least temporarily.

Agent_24
04-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I had a problem like that once on XP IIRC, had about 6 "My Network Places" or something, for about 10 seconds

nmercer
04-10-2014, 01:04 PM

What you're seeing is an early Technical Preview version for business, primarily for desktop/mouse/keyboard users

It shouldn't seem that different. People complain when things are different like the Win8 Start Screen and moan about it.

There are a bunch of under the cover features in Windows 10 around enterprise-grade security, identity and information protection features simplified management and deployment etc that are in there, that you can't really "see"

More Windows 10 features will be announced at a later date, but Technical Preview offers several key features and experiences today:

• Expanded Start Menu: The familiar Start menu is back providing quick one-click access to the functions and files that people use most, and includes a new space to personalize with favorite apps, programs, people, and websites.
• Apps run in a Window: Apps from the Windows Store now open in the same format that desktop programs do. They can be resized and moved around, and have title bars at the top allowing for maximize, minimize, and close with a click.
• Snap enhancements: Working in multiple apps at once is easier and more intuitive with snap improvements. Have up to four apps snapped on the same screen with a new quadrant layout. Windows will also show other apps and programs running for additional snapping and even make smart suggestions on filling available screen space with other open apps.
• New Task View button: The new task view button on the task bar enables one view for all open apps and files allowing for quick-switching, and one-touch access to any desktops created.
• Multiple desktops: Instead of too many apps and files overlapping on a single desktop, it’s easy to create and switch between distinct desktops for different purposes and projects—whether for work or personal use, or both.

paulw
04-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Just installed it on my home PC. A couple of glitches. Setup didn't like the D-Sub that my monitor was using . Plugged in a DVI cable and all was well. The other problem was setting up my old Brother HL1440 printer. Had to ask the setup to look in Windows Updates for the driver. It found it and installed OK. Downloaded Office 2013 to try but when I put in the 60 day key code it gave an error message and now I only have 30 days.. Overall it was a quick and painless setup. I suspect that Windows 10 will be the new Win XP or Win 7.. All hardware was recognized and works..

Edit. Now it's doing 2.5Gig of updates..

nmercer
04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Given that MS (and others) still dont think there was anything wrong with Win8, it will be minor changes to the interface/GUI, and a few new features.
I doubt they will re-write the OS, so it should have been called 8.2
:rolleyes:

Its called 10 because it is a significant overhaul. Windows 10 carries Windows forward into a new way of doing things. It is not an incremental change, but a new Windows that will empower the next billion users.

Windows 10 brings EVERYTHING together, the foundation is the same, kernel, drivers etc. – from PCs to phones, to IoT (Internet of Things) devices. And the application platform is the same across all of these devices.

One Windows means:

•One Universal App Platform
•One Security Model
•One Management System
•One Deployment Approach
•One Familiar Experience

Agent_24
04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Have they yet managed to support different wallpapers for each monitor like Linux does?

nmercer
04-10-2014, 01:12 PM
You're right :thumbs:

Alt+Tab will show all open Windows and you can select which one. (Most general users don't know the shortcut keys)

In Windows there hasn't been a multi Desktops (by default) only Via third party software.

Microsoft did release an XP utility called Virtual Desktop Manager Powertoy for Windows XP :)

nmercer
04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Is it possible to bypass the log on BS ?

curious to know why you see no value in cloud accounts?

Do you have an Apple ID on iOS or Google account for Google Play?

You don't see any value in having an account to do cloud backup, syncing storage, synching system settings across machines, SSID passwords etc?

nmercer
04-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Just installed it on my home PC. A couple of glitches. Setup didn't like the D-Sub that my monitor was using . Plugged in a DVI cable and all was well. The other problem was setting up my old Brother HL1440 printer. Had to ask the setup to look in Windows Updates for the driver. It found it and installed OK. Downloaded Office 2013 to try but when I put in the 60 day key code it gave an error message and now I only have 30 days.. Overall it was a quick and painless setup. I suspect that Windows 10 will be the new Win XP or Win 7.. All hardware was recognized and works..

Edit. Now it's doing 2.5Gig of updates..

2.5GB does not sound right at all

The only update published for Windows 10 Preview is about 1Mb
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3001512

bk T
04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
... I suspect that Windows 10 will be the new Win XP or Win 7.. All hardware was recognized and works..

Just installed on my old PC and everything seems to be work fine, all hardware was recognised and works, too.

Installation was a breeze. Loads faster than Win8.1 on this old PC - surprised.

Looks it will be here to stay like XP and Win7. MS shouldn't have released Win8 - it was a silly move.

nmercer
04-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Just installed on my old PC and everything seems to be work fine, all hardware was recognised and works, too.

Installation was a breeze. Loads faster than Win8.1 on this old PC - surprised.

Looks it will be here to stay like XP and Win7. MS shouldn't have released Win8 - it was a silly move.

its not a silly move to be running Windows 8 on a mobile PC with touch like a Tablet

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
If I wanted to backup anything I'll use another hdd, not the cloud. Dont trust the cloud / whatever you call it for anything

wainuitech
04-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Personally I dont log into the Cloud. I do log in BUT its to my own Servers.

I do have Skydrive connected automatically which contains certain documents I use every day that get altered so they do get auto backuped. The other backups are done automatically to my own servers.

As convenient as having things on the cloud can be its can also be a pain-- a few weeks back some businesses I know about use the cloud 100% for their work after changing from a local setup that has worked for years -- the internet went down (ISP Problem) they were stuffed couldn't do anything.

Cloud storage for my server backup -- Not going to happen, 2TB of Data/Programs would cost $$$$$$$ where external drives are so much cheaper.

paulw
04-10-2014, 02:11 PM
2.5GB does not sound right at all

The only update published for Windows 10 Preview is about 1Mb
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3001512

I think most of these were for Office 2013. I only saw a couple for Won 10 . Did the same to my Laptop at work..

nmercer
04-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Personally I dont log into the Cloud. I do log in BUT its to my own Servers.

I do have Skydrive connected automatically which contains certain documents I use every day that get altered so they do get auto backuped. The other backups are done automatically to my own servers.

As convenient as having things on the cloud can be its can also be a pain-- a few weeks back some businesses I know about use the cloud 100% for their work after changing from a local setup that has worked for years -- the internet went down (ISP Problem) they were stuffed couldn't do anything.

Cloud storage for my server backup -- Not going to happen, 2TB of Data/Programs would cost $$$$$$$ where external drives are so much cheaper.

its a slightly different scenario, you're not going to go offline and be able to do nothing if your Internet connection goes down if you assign a Microsoft Account (MSA) to your Windows 10 machine.
(for that business as well surely they made the choice to go all cloud, and the cost savings, that's one of the side effects if the internet went down, they also could have a 4G back router etc)

Also Office 365, $100 a year or whatever it is 1TB of included OneDrive

I'm genuinely trying to understand why people are cool to use a Google ID on Chrome/Android, Apple ID on iOS but don't want to use a MSA on Windows.

For me there is a huge amount of value in simplifying the experience of using Windows by synching settings, personalisation options, start screen tiles and layout, appearance, personalisation (all my mouse settings/themes/background etc), list of installed apps, web browser favourites, open tabs, homes pages, passwords etc

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want that.

nmercer
04-10-2014, 03:03 PM
If I wanted to backup anything I'll use another hdd, not the cloud. Dont trust the cloud / whatever you call it for anything

or do both?

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
or do both?

Nope. Not even if you gave me $1m

wainuitech
04-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I'm genuinely trying to understand why people are cool to use a Google ID on Chrome/Android, Apple ID on iOS but don't want to use a MSA on Windows.

For me there is a huge amount of value in simplifying the experience of using Windows by synching settings, personalisation options, start screen tiles and layout, appearance, personalisation (all my mouse settings/themes/background etc), list of installed apps, web browser favourites, open tabs, homes pages, passwords etc

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want that.

This is a bit long, but hopefully will give an incite as why :)

Well, cant speak for others, but in my day to day work, dealing with regular people there's one very common trend ( Two types of Users).

The before mentioned companies, Apple / Google more or less force a person to sign into some devices. If they are portable devices then having access to what ever you have in the cloud can be an advantage. BUT not everyone wants that.

MANY regular people I deal with are more than happy to have their data on a device, like a Desktop, laptop, external HDD's or whats becoming popular a NAS and use products like Windows live Mail, Outlook or some other program for email. Have a version of Office as well.

They Dont want to have everything syncing, no need for it either.

How a home user and a business user use their devices are quite often totally different.
What Microsoft are really aiming at is Business users that may need to have all their data available, the average home user doesn't need or want it, but does have the option if they so desire.

As I mentioned before I only sign into my own servers, while I do have Microsoft accounts, there is no need to use them all the time. For example I have my work email during the day on the office computer, the last thing I want is trying to relax in the evenings, maybe doing some casual surfing, playing movies, music or games with work emails consistently popping in. The mail that is on Live, is also connected into Outlook, so it syncs when I open, when I want. The only other time is to sign into the Microsoft Store.

I can tell you right now, MANY people are annoyed (polite Version) about having to sign in, they simply don't want it.
I've lost count ( so to speak) on how many jobs I've done since W8 came out to remove the sign in and boot straight into windows. Microsoft actually "trick" people into signing in - Meaning there's no "in your face " option to select sign in or not.

Having a shortage of computers is not a problem :) in the lounge right now, 4 computers, android tablet and the phones someplace :rolleyes:, I don't want them all syncing with one another, no point, another example of that is the Media center-- its not used for work, word, excel etc, or emails, its an entertainment device. About the only thing thats common to everything is connecting to a Server that has music, videos etc (as well as other stuff). Theres no way I'm going to store all that on the cloud only to use more data to stream it back to where it started from.

As for syncing, other items like phones - again some people live on their phones :rolleyes: Many only want a phone for basic's- making and receiving call, text messaging.

Lastly -- About cloud storage -- MANY dont trust it, no matter who it is. Take a couple of examples: ( this is not apple bashing its facts) iCloud gets data stolen and put onto the internet - the "naughty pictures", then just the other day, an Apple reset on mobile devices went wrong and wiped many peoples data from iCloud, some of it not recoverable. Yes it was a bad time for Apple, but it can happen to any Cloud storage.

So now that you're in a probable :waughh: state, a question>Since you work for MS, MS Cloud storage - World Wide, how many locations are peoples data actually backed up to. ?

Example if I were to have lost data due to a failure of one of MS servers in the USA, where else (and how many) are the backup copies so once the server is back up and going again everything will be as if nothing happened ? Think of it as having MS Cloud servers in USA, NZ, Japan, all syncing peoples data ?

pcuser42
04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Have they yet managed to support different wallpapers for each monitor like Linux does?

Windows 8 does.

nmercer
04-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Nope. Not even if you gave me $1m

why wouldn't you want an extra line of defence for DR. Put it into an encrypted blob if you're worried about 3 letter agency spooks

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm not worried about anything. Ive got nothing to hide. Just because I dont like the cloud doesnt mean I'm hiding anything

Whatever agency can do whatever they want. There's nothing here.

Agent_24
04-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Windows 8 does.

I guess that will be useful if I ever get Win8 or higher, which hopefully will be never.

pct
04-10-2014, 09:54 PM
I downloaded the technical preview on my computer and now have a flashing purple and black screen...any idea on a fix for this? :annoyed:

pcuser42
04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
I guess that will be useful if I ever get Win8 or higher, which hopefully will be never. Then don't complain you're being left behind when Windows 7 is no longer supported ;)

wainuitech
04-10-2014, 10:49 PM
I downloaded the technical preview on my computer and now have a flashing purple and black screen...any idea on a fix for this? :annoyed: Was it installed as an upgrade to what was on there, or drive wiped and a fresh install ?

It sounds like a graphic display / Driver problem.

pct
05-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Was it installed as an upgrade to what was on there, or drive wiped and a fresh install ?

It sounds like a graphic display / Driver problem.

hey wt, I installed it as an upgrade, it had windows 8.1 on it
If it helps a message just came up LogonUI.exe - Application error
The instruction at 0x774f645a referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Clicking ok the screen keeps flashing

Digby
05-10-2014, 10:31 AM
They are going after big business with Windows 10.

I don't know much about that etc, but I do hope they succeed in getting companies to migrate from XP and 7.

Keeping things in the same place would sure help lots of us eg Control Panel etc.

wainuitech
05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
See if you have an option to start in safe mode. That sounds like a graphic Driver fault, if it will start in safe mode uninstall the graphic drivers and let W10 put in its own.

You have to remember W10 is still only for testing, Microsoft make it very clear its got faults, not finished and expect bugs.

Personally If it were me, I'd download the ISO, wipe your drive completely and install as fresh, that way there wont be any previous driver problems.

Doing this of course will wipe all data, programs etc, BUT MS DO warn people, and you CANT roll it back: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab0

I've installed it on a workshop PC and an old Laptop so far, the PC works perfectly, but the laptop, there are no AMD drivers for it so its running on windows default ( quite nicely)

If its any consultation, you are not alone with this problem, several others have had it as well when upgrading from existing installs, no known fix yet.

You can try repairing it, as per the instructions logonuiexe-application-error (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/error-logonuiexe-application-error-the-instruction/5150f815-61cb-45c0-a137-19601167dc24) BUT I wouldn't hold my breath :(

Agent_24
05-10-2014, 11:41 AM
They are going after big business with Windows 10.

It looks like it, doesn't it? Return of the Start Menu, none of this fullscreen Metro rubbish.. maybe they realised that a lot of people want an OS they can actually use.

Then don't complain you're being left behind when Windows 7 is no longer supported ;)

I won't. If I had to get Windows 8\10 I would... but would really rather use Linux if I can.

wainuitech
05-10-2014, 11:55 AM
hey wt, I installed it as an upgrade, it had windows 8.1 on it
If it helps a message just came up LogonUI.exe - Application error
The instruction at 0x774f645a referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Clicking ok the screen keeps flashing

Just adding to my post above re the LogonUI.exe , it can also be caused by other software that's installed. Antivirus software can cause errors as well. This is because its not designed for the OS. Its always best to remove any Protection first.

"IF" you can get into safe mode, click on start, type in msconfig , open it, under the services tab, put a tick in "Hide all Microsoft Services" then untick everything that's remaining, try rebooting. If it starts OK then theres something installed and running that's causing the problem, then uninstall any programs ( starting with the Graphics and Antivirus).

bk T
05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Just had a brief 'play' with the new Win10 Preview, and already started to love it! :)

Windows 8 shouldn't have released! The guy who responsible for the release of Win8 probably already had a 'push'.

The MS routine seems to be still correct: :D

Win Me = no good
Win XP = good
Win Vista = bad
Win 7 = GOOD
Win 8 = BAD
Win 10 = GOOD - so far.

Agent_24
05-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Seems they need to release in a two-step process ... bring out the new features, then refine them in the next release after getting feedback ...

Makes one wonder why they don't ask people want they want to begin with, than wasting money releasing a crappy product every other version

wainuitech
05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Seems they need to release in a two-step process ... bring out the new features, then refine them in the next release after getting feedback ...

Makes one wonder why they don't ask people want they want to begin with, than wasting money releasing a crappy product every other version They DO. :)

They are called Previews, Beta's & Release Candidate. BUT its almost as if they take no real notice of the feed back unless its a fault that will effect the "planned" finished versions.

Take W8 for example: There were thousands (if not millions) of negative complaints about the tiled interface and start menu removal in the pre Release to manufacturing (RTM) & General availability (GA) - But look what came out :D

Many reports suggested having two OS's one for touch devices and one for Desktop without the Tiled interface But it didn't happen.

You can make W10 start with the tiled interface if you want instead of the Desktop / Start menu. Which is exactly what I'll be doing if I upgrade the Media Center. The tiled Icons are a lot easier to operate from across the lounge.

bk T
05-10-2014, 02:50 PM
They 'think' they are much 'smarter' than their customers, just toooo proud to ask and toooo proud to admit their mistakes.

Agent_24
05-10-2014, 02:57 PM
They DO. :)

Well not really, if they don't listen...

wainuitech
05-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Well not really, if they don't listen... Errrr Yeah, but the question was
Makes one wonder why they don't ask people want they want to begin with, than wasting money releasing a crappy product every other version So they do ask, BUT as to why they dont always listen - That's a different question and a complete mystery :confused: that someones keeping secret as to why they wont listen. Well they do listen, just takes a year or so to sink in :lol:

Agent_24
05-10-2014, 04:24 PM
I know, technically you're right.. but as we see, they don't seem to care too much, until perhaps the next version is released, sales are horrible, and then maybe they go "oh, perhaps we should try doing what everyone was asking for"

wainuitech
05-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Think you nailed it Agent :thumbs:

Wonder what the complaints about W10 will be ?

pcuser42
05-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Wonder what the complaints about W10 will be ?

People are complaining about the Start menu coming back ;)

nmercer
05-10-2014, 07:29 PM
They 'think' they are much 'smarter' than their customers, just toooo proud to ask and toooo proud to admit their mistakes.

there are 1.1 billion Windows 7 and Windows XP users
there are 200 million Windows 8 users

You can't please everyone

How do you design a pizza topping for 1.3 billion people that they will all like?

Windows 10 is an attempt at that, to please people that want to use Windows on a tablet with touch, and also traditional desktop/mouse users

nmercer
05-10-2014, 07:30 PM
It looks like it, doesn't it? Return of the Start Menu, none of this fullscreen Metro rubbish.. maybe they realised that a lot of people want an OS they can actually use.

I won't. If I had to get Windows 8\10 I would... but would really rather use Linux if I can.

Metro is not rubbish when you have touch or in a mobile scenario like on a tablet

nmercer
05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
They DO. :)

They are called Previews, Beta's & Release Candidate. BUT its almost as if they take no real notice of the feed back unless its a fault that will effect the "planned" finished versions.

Take W8 for example: There were thousands (if not millions) of negative complaints about the tiled interface and start menu removal in the pre Release to manufacturing (RTM) & General availability (GA) - But look what came out :D

Many reports suggested having two OS's one for touch devices and one for Desktop without the Tiled interface But it didn't happen.

You can make W10 start with the tiled interface if you want instead of the Desktop / Start menu. Which is exactly what I'll be doing if I upgrade the Media Center. The tiled Icons are a lot easier to operate from across the lounge.

Windows 10 is the response to that. Windows 8 was already done when the Developer Previews came out so it was too late to respond to the feedback.

Windows 10 is your opportunity to give feedback while Microsoft is listening and will be able to respond to that feedback in the design and future "flights" of the preview releases.

bk T
05-10-2014, 08:47 PM
there are 1.1 billion Windows 7 and Windows XP users
there are 200 million Windows 8 users

You can't please everyone

How do you design a pizza topping for 1.3 billion people that they will all like?

Windows 10 is an attempt at that, to please people that want to use Windows on a tablet with touch, and also traditional desktop/mouse users

There are One Thousand and One reasons for any simple excuse.

Pride, Pride, Pride is really hard to swallow. :D

Agent_24
06-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Metro is not rubbish when you have touch or in a mobile scenario like on a tablet

Sure, but on a desktop it's awful.

dugimodo
06-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Sure, but on a desktop it's awful.
Most users seem to agree with you and windows 8.xx is certainly unpopular but I don't find the start screen to be all that bad. Sure it's not the most attractive thing but I don't care about that, to me it's really nothing else but a place to organise all those shortcuts a lot of people like to clutter up the desktop with. I see it more as a customisable personal menu than a replacement for the old start menu which is more what the "all apps" screen seems like.

I created a group of tiles called games and put all my games on it, another for utilities like control panel, malware scanners, various other tools, and so on, removed pretty much all the default tiles, sized the tiles to suit myself. Now I have a tidy organised easy to navigate collection of all the software I commonly use available at the push of the windows key. I still have quick launch icons and desktop shortcuts for the things I do all the time and just use the start screen for the rest. Having gotten used to it I find I don't miss the start menu at all.

wainuitech
06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Most users seem to agree with you and windows 8.xx is certainly unpopular but I don't find the start screen to be all that bad. Sure it's not the most attractive thing but I don't care about that, to me it's really nothing else but a place to organise all those shortcuts a lot of people like to clutter up the desktop with. I see it more as a customisable personal menu than a replacement for the old start menu which is more what the "all apps" screen seems like.

I created a group of tiles called games and put all my games on it, another for utilities like control panel, malware scanners, various other tools, and so on, removed pretty much all the default tiles, sized the tiles to suit myself. Now I have a tidy organised easy to navigate collection of all the software I commonly use available at the push of the windows key. I still have quick launch icons and desktop shortcuts for the things I do all the time and just use the start screen for the rest. Having gotten used to it I find I don't miss the start menu at all. Very well explained :thumbs:-- Thats exactly how I have mine setup as well. Anything thats not as above I simply either click on the Control Panel Icon, or go to the tiled screen and start typing its name, search finds it and opens - Simple really. To be honest When W10 does come to being installed I think I'll be putting the tiled start back, its simple enough to do :)

Agent_24
06-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Most users seem to agree with you and windows 8.xx is certainly unpopular but I don't find the start screen to be all that bad.

My problem with it is that for me, a desktop (or laptop) computer is all about multi-tasking, whereas Metro and Metro programs with their full screen interface and hidden menus is quite the opposite.

Sure you could use it just for a menu, while running all your programs on the normal desktop, but then you have to put up with switching constantly between two very different UI styles and functions. It's bizarre.

dugimodo
06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
The thing I'm most happy about is that they are getting rid of the charms bar, I've never warmed to that particular part of windows 8 but don't complain about it because I find I can happily ignore it's existence. When you run dual screens like I do hovering near a corner is particularly awkward. I never used the other corner features either except for the "invisible start button" that was in the bottom left corner before they gave it a visible icon. Swiping is fine, hovering a mouse pointer in a particular spot is annoying.

Amongst all this postive feedback for windows 10 has anyone noticed that all the features MS want in windows that customers didn't ask for have been tweaked to work on a desktop better but are still there. I am mostly optimistic about windows 10 and will probably take up any cheap introductory offers if they happen but I find it amusing that all the things that seemed unwanted about windows 8 have just been toned down and tweaked a little and now people seem to like them.
Metro/modern UI - modified but still there
Start screen - optional but still there
Live tiles - still there, now able to go on the start menu as well as start screen
Flat non-aero UI - still there
Metro apps - altered to run in a window (about time, seems obvious) but still there
App store - well this one isn't going anywhere, MS want a piece of the pie other OS's enjoy selling apps

pct
06-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Just adding to my post above re the LogonUI.exe , it can also be caused by other software that's installed. Antivirus software can cause errors as well. This is because its not designed for the OS. Its always best to remove any Protection first.

"IF" you can get into safe mode, click on start, type in msconfig , open it, under the services tab, put a tick in "Hide all Microsoft Services" then untick everything that's remaining, try rebooting. If it starts OK then theres something installed and running that's causing the problem, then uninstall any programs ( starting with the Graphics and Antivirus).

THANKS wainuitech, haven't had any luck getting into safemode YET lol

I have tried F8 , its an HP computer...know of any other things to try for getting into safe mode?

06-10-2014, 02:01 PM
I have tried F8 , its an HP computer...know of any other things to try for getting into safe mode?

ha, good luck with that. Just what was MS thinking ???
http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

Perhaps thats another thing MS need to fix with Win10

My wish list...
fix the PC to PC file/folder sharing once & for all. It STILL has the same bugs there since vista
make the COA's readable without flashlight & magnifying glass . Dont use B or 8 in the COA key please......
MS please standardize all the boot/bios F keys . MS are the only entity that could force OEMS to standardise that
And yes, bring back F8 safe mode.
:badpc:

wainuitech
06-10-2014, 04:02 PM
THANKS wainuitech, haven't had any luck getting into safemode YET lol

I have tried F8 , its an HP computer...know of any other things to try for getting into safe mode? Yeahhhhhhhhhh There are ways to get into safe mode, but the UEFI BIOS is a PITA.

Being HP they don't always make things easy to bypass because if you disable the UEFI security in the BIOS so the legacy options appear, OR allow booting from CD/DVD, then other operations in one of the (normally 5-6) Partitions don't work and you can get into all sorts of troubles.

Have a look when its first starting, is there a option to go to the boot menu options (may be F12)

Personally since the OS cant be rolled back I'd be more inclined to boot from a DVD or USB drive, wipe it completely and install from fresh, of course as mentioned before, it WILL wipe any data / programs etc on the drive. Some HP's can still be a pain, have more than once removed the HDD, attached to a workshop PC to delete the partitions.

Extra Guff:
Only side effect you have to be aware of, W10 "may" not actually install anyway. If it doesn't then you would have to reinstall what ever OS was on there, download drivers etc. "If" its windows 8 or 8.1 all you would need is a install DVD, you wont find a product Key, it doesn't need one as its embedded on the motherboard for the original version of OS as it came. Meaning if you reinstalled it and it came with W8, then you would need to install W8, upgrade to 8.1 etc, you cant put 8.1 directly in unless that's what it came with from New.

gary67
06-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Why not make an image first I know you would Wai but surely that should be the first thing everyone should do before trialling a beta OS

Agent_24
06-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Why not make an image first I know you would Wai but surely that should be the first thing everyone should do before trialling a beta OS

I usually use a separate disk, specifically for testing different operating systems.

bk T
07-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Just updated Win 10 Preview, after it has restarted, I found that the Start .> 'All Apps' is empty other than 'Documents'.

All the Apps were there before that Windows update. How do I get it back?

wainuitech
07-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Why not make an image first I know you would Wai but surely that should be the first thing everyone should do before trialling a beta OSYeah I would make an image esp if I was going to be wanting to put it back to original, :)

The problem now is, as per post #62
hey wt, I installed it as an upgrade, it had windows 8.1 on it So the damage has already been done :(.

Microsoft make it clear on the download site that once the preview is installed it cant be uninstalled.Making any recovery partitions useless according to MS.

After you install Windows Technical Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

If you want to stop using Windows Technical Preview and return to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall your previous version from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC—typically a DVD.

Currently all a image would be any good for is putting onto another HDD and recovering any data.

I do the same thing Agent posted, use a different HDD, its easy (even on a laptop) and no fear of damaging the original OS.

dugimodo
07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
I got curious so I'm downloading it and will swap out a hard drive in my laptop and see how I go :)

wainuitech
07-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Just updated Win 10 Preview, after it has restarted, I found that the Start .> 'All Apps' is empty other than 'Documents'.

Was it a windows system update or a hardware update ?

Theres only been two Windows updates as described under file information http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3001512 Ones to do with Flash and the other is to do with update manager (by the looks if you expand out the + beside each KB number)

bk T
07-10-2014, 05:51 PM
It's hardware -and old Microsoft mouse driver update.

Anyway, after a couple of restarts, it's back to normal.

wainuitech
07-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Sweet :) more than likely a "bug" in the system, which is to be expected being a Tech Preview version.

May be the same sort of thing as my laptop deciding to fill the screen with "This PC" Icons when first installed.

You'll find the problem may have been sent to Microsoft automatically even though you may not have sent a problem report-- Wonder how many people actually read the Terms of use, that the OS can send any data or actions you may do. :eek:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement
(other wise you can always send a problem report Via the link on the desktop)

nmercer
07-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Sounds like you checked the box in the setup UI to not do an upgrade

nmercer
07-10-2014, 09:28 PM
My problem with it is that for me, a desktop (or laptop) computer is all about multi-tasking, whereas Metro and Metro programs with their full screen interface and hidden menus is quite the opposite.

Sure you could use it just for a menu, while running all your programs on the normal desktop, but then you have to put up with switching constantly between two very different UI styles and functions. It's bizarre.

That's what I do and I love it, its not bizarre

Full screen app launcher, mostly using desktop apps unless I'm out and about on the road using touch or on the couch with tablet.

Same as simple users like my mum.

For her its bizarre to hunt and peck thru fly out hierarchal menus to start apps, play digital media etc.

See the dichotomy

bk T
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you checked the box in the setup UI to not do an upgrade
You mean, during the installation process? Don't really remember as there are so may items to check or uncheck. LOL. BTW, don't remember that there's an item on 'upgrade', upgrade of what?

nmercer
07-10-2014, 09:40 PM
There are One Thousand and One reasons for any simple excuse.

Pride, Pride, Pride is really hard to swallow. :D

I didn't see any hubris or righteousness in the announce event video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfveyXCsiA8&list=UUVGOyzms_XJNk_DHqrffXCw

nmercer
07-10-2014, 09:43 PM
You mean, during the installation process? Don't really remember as there are so may items to check or uncheck. LOL. BTW, don't remember that there's an item on 'upgrade', upgrade of what?

If you just click next next next the default is upgrade and you don't lose your apps.

dugimodo
08-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Installed on the laptop, upgrade from windows 7 stalled and didn't complete but fresh install worked really well. Detected all the hardware and setup Wi-Fi very easily. Impressed with the install process. Ran out of time to really test it though but I intend to leave it on the laptop for a while to see if I like it.

Only issue so far is the default graphics drive for the AMD APU does not work well with an external 2nd screen. Scaling is all wonky. I'm downloading the AMD driver suite for windows 8.1 to see if that'll sort it out.

nmercer
10-10-2014, 12:45 AM
The thing I'm most happy about is that they are getting rid of the charms bar, I've never warmed to that particular part of windows 8 but don't complain about it because I find I can happily ignore it's existence. When you run dual screens like I do hovering near a corner is particularly awkward. I never used the other corner features either except for the "invisible start button" that was in the bottom left corner before they gave it a visible icon. Swiping is fine, hovering a mouse pointer in a particular spot is annoying.

Amongst all this postive feedback for windows 10 has anyone noticed that all the features MS want in windows that customers didn't ask for have been tweaked to work on a desktop better but are still there. I am mostly optimistic about windows 10 and will probably take up any cheap introductory offers if they happen but I find it amusing that all the things that seemed unwanted about windows 8 have just been toned down and tweaked a little and now people seem to like them.
Metro/modern UI - modified but still there
Start screen - optional but still there
Live tiles - still there, now able to go on the start menu as well as start screen
Flat non-aero UI - still there
Metro apps - altered to run in a window (about time, seems obvious) but still there
App store - well this one isn't going anywhere, MS want a piece of the pie other OS's enjoy selling apps

Metro is not going away anywhere. It makes sense when you think about it

how many of your PC illiterate friends end up clogging up their systems with downloads, addons, toolbars, optimisers etc

To me, Metro is about:

· A safe API which prevents software from destroying your experience.

· Sharing across platforms (phone, tablet, desktop).

· Easy installation/removal.

· Easy discovery.

· Allowing devs to make money from the apps (via store, ads).

icow
10-10-2014, 03:18 AM
If it wasn't for the tile design being so heavily integrated into microsoft software (xbox one, windows mobile etc) I could honestly see them axing it in the next iteration of windows. Not really a real reason but probably justification enough for them I guess.

gary67
10-10-2014, 06:40 AM
There should be a shut off the kindy screen button built in for those who don't have a touch device, the apps are real cruddy compared to desktop programs on a non touch device.

wainuitech
10-10-2014, 07:42 AM
There should be a shut off the kindy screen button built in for those who don't have a touch device, the apps are real cruddy compared to desktop programs on a non touch device. In W10 you can hide them and never have to use them, they are easy to remove from the start menu (on the right) and you can replace with what ever you want. So the Tiles are kind of out of site out of mind.

Personally in W8.1 the only Tile that I generally use is the Windows Store.

linw
10-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Anyone else having sleep problems? What happens is that an update (they are pretty much all win defender ones at this stage) comes through and it rightly tells the power system to set up a request to hold sleep off but the problem is that that request does not get cancelled after the update has completed. Result is that timeout sleep does not occur till you restart (clears pwr request).

cmd (admin). powercfg -requests shows svchost.exe under EXECUTION.

If you wait till another update comes along, you get another svchost request registered!

I have found this problem with my update over 8.1 and clean installs on this system and on another hardware platform.

I've registered this on the feedback app but wondered how many of you have seen this.

dugimodo
10-10-2014, 10:05 AM
No Sleep issues but I do have a graphics issue. My laptop has dual graphics with an APU and a dedicated graphics chip as well. The theory is the APU is used whenever the workload doesn't require the power of the dedicated GPU to save power. Windows 10 default driver finds both cards and works properly on the laptop screen but will not give me a decent picture on an external monitor. The picture is squashed up in the middle of the external monitor with a distorted aspect raio and a large uneven black border all the way around. I may try a different monitor at some point

I can't install catalyst control center but if I could I expect it would solve the issue, I think this is the sort of thing that would be fixed by release date. I should get on the feedback app and submit the issue I guess but I'm sure AMD will release a better driver in any case.

wainuitech
10-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Never had any problems with the sleep functions, -- I disable them all any way, one of the first things I do :)

The AMD graphics -- Same problem, the laptop Had W8.1 and installed the drivers from AMD fine. W10 Same Laptop, same drivers while they went in ( or meant to have) didn't actually do anything :rolleyes: Still runs off the Default Windows Drivers.

dugimodo
10-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Catalyst control center installer fails at the autodetect hardware stage and closes, I was hoping it's scaling controls would be the fix.

linw
10-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Never had any problems with the sleep functions, -- I disable them all any way, one of the first things I do :)

The AMD graphics -- Same problem, the laptop Had W8.1 and installed the drivers from AMD fine. W10 Same Laptop, same drivers while they went in ( or meant to have) didn't actually do anything :rolleyes: Still runs off the Default Windows Drivers.
I wouldn't have a sleep problem if I disabled it as well!!

But do you get a sticky svchost power request?

wainuitech
10-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't have a sleep problem if I disabled it as well!!

But do you get a sticky svchost power request? Nope.

Only problem I've had with W10 So far ( apart from displaying a screen full of "This Computer" icons on the laptop the first boot), was Wednesday, the search wouldn't load correctly (on the new start menu) even after a reboot, so disabled it, went back to the W8.1 tiled screen, then it worked OK after that.

wratterus
10-10-2014, 12:01 PM
I have a HD5450 in this PC, a graphics driver update came down through Win update, and worked with dual screens a treat. Suspect it's probably more of an APU thing than an all-over ATI issue.

Agent_24
10-10-2014, 12:53 PM
To me, Metro is about:
· A safe API which prevents software from destroying your experience.

That's hilarious! :lol:
Any half-decent malware writer can write a program for *any* platform\API that will destroy the experience. I guarantee it.

homelybelly
10-10-2014, 06:25 PM
I never liker liked Windows8. It's very confusing. I hope this Windows 10 is good.

gary67
10-10-2014, 06:53 PM
In W10 you can hide them and never have to use them, they are easy to remove from the start menu (on the right) and you can replace with what ever you want. So the Tiles are kind of out of site out of mind.

Personally in W8.1 the only Tile that I generally use is the Windows Store.

I might be tempted then SWMBOS comp will need an update from XP by the time Win 10 is released

paulw
10-10-2014, 07:18 PM
I never liker liked Windows8. It's very confusing. I hope this Windows 10 is good.

I personally thinks it's what Windows 8 should have looked like from the start..