PDA

View Full Version : What's the correlation between money and pets?

Greg
01-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Just wondered... I live in one of the cheaper parts of town. My g/f lives in a somewhat more affluent area. Here, there is an abundance of cats. I've made friends with a few. Whereas at her place there's loads of poncy dogs such as bichons, pekinese et al. I wonder why this anomaly?

gary67
01-10-2014, 05:36 AM
We live in family friendly Halswell Christchurch SWMBO has cats yet three of our neighbours have labrador cross dogs, not all the same size though. No poncy dogs in this street but there are some in the area. Cheaper areas such will usually have more mastiff, pitbull, doberman type dogs

pctek
01-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Cats outnumber dogs as a pet in general.
Cats are cheaper - you don't have registration, pet insurance is cheaper, neutering is cheaper...etc.

People think cats can be ignored and just fed and they will be happy (wrong) so tend to think they are easier to look after.

As for dog type, I know some large maori types who have chihuahuas. Pedigree.
Another came round yesterday, he bought his bichon/pomaranian (sp?) cross with him. Cute dog. But it makes me laugh these large scary looking guys with their handbag dogs.

One brother-in-law lives in Huntly - in the crap area. (Hey he got the house cheap). He also has a chihuahua.....when he said he was getting a guard dog I expected one of the scary breeds.....then he turned up with this tiny hairy thing.....hilarious....

Zippity
01-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Give me pussy over mongrel any day :)

R2x1
01-10-2014, 08:06 AM
". . . correlation between money and pets? "
The vet will adjust that balance as fast as she/he is able. ;)

dugimodo
01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Seems backwards to my experiences, when I've lived and visited in the cheaper parts of hamilton large dogs seem to be very common and not well restrained.
I've often wondered if I can drive around on any given day and see loose dogs running around why dog control can't. On the other hand I'm a dog person myself and wouldn't like it if someone took my dog (when I had one).

The main correlation to money I see is expensive "fashionable" pure breeds, both cats and dogs. In the cheaper areas people get pets from the pound for cheap or off a friend for free and choose them because they are cute or might make a good guard animal and pedigree doesn't come into it. Then there's those Idiots in any area that buy dogs that they think are mean looking and teach them to be aggressive.

As a dog lover and city dweller I've come to the conclusion that only smaller breeds should be pets in the city, no amount of walking or exercise parks truly gives a large dog the room it needs to run and play so I don't think it's fair to the dogs. That and all the large dogs and children in a small area is a recipe for disaster.

I've owned a Labrador cross, an Alsatian cross, and some kinda mutant Chihuahua cross that looked like a miniature sausage dog with a crooked face. As much as I loved my larger dogs I think the small one was much better suited to my small section. I probably looked hilarious walking the little bugger though - I'm just on 6'6"