PDA

View Full Version : Blogsite Help...Again

Poppa John
30-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi All. As you know I have had another small stroke. It has not seriously affected me physically. Slowed me down a bit more , yes. Mentally I am definitely slower. I don't "Comprehend" as well. Thank goodness for Spellchecker. I don't need pity or sympathy.. what is...IS.

http://mikedoncaster.blogspot.co.nz/

I still need help. Not links to sites to read.

Like this...
A Do this & enter
B Now do this & enter.
C next do this & enter.

I want to do... 1) Put on an advert or Gadget.
2) Put appropriate Key Words to help people find my site.
3 Add a second page with Book titles etc.

I would like to try & do it my self with a little help from PF1 friends.

Anybody willing? Either on the open forum or by PM? Thanks/

kahawai chaser
30-09-2014, 06:37 PM
OK...

1. Ads - you can add adsense via the adsense gadget or the html/javascript gadget. I have only added adsense ad scripts via the html gadget and directly in posts. And by adding scripts within the posts. I think though the gadgets look easier. But you need to sign up to Google Adsense to get your publisher number and ad scripts to copy and paste. I'm not sure today for the requirements to be approved. But usually sufficient content.They (bots) will scan your blog. Manual inspections by a human sometimes as well.

But you may be able to sign up, via the adsense gadget once you set up a adsense ad that way. Important to read their terms and conditions to prevent violations. Main one being no clicking on your own ads, and the number of ads allowed per page - without overdoing it without sufficient engaging, semi unique, etc content or posts. Also helps to test the ads to see if they suit, e.g. link ads, banner ads, image/text, colours, etc.

PJ Maybe use gadgets for adsense for now. Easier. On home page/dashboard click on Blog Title. Then Layout on L/H. Then add gadget for adsense. Leaderboards (e.g. 728x90 usually for the top gadget) and rectangles along sides and bottom - Size dependent. Links side/top. But trial and error to match colours (for text, links, etc) to your blog and of course to entice visitors to...click. Bit time consuming though.

Amazon is one I use for direct product sales. Maybe visit their site - It's huge - to see if products match your blog (Dog products maybe?). I can help there if you want. I have some gadget types on my MP3 blog in my sig. NZ Fishpond might still have their affiliate program.

Note: You generally need to add a privacy policy (relating to "cookies") if using ads. That can come later. Welcome to use mine, from my blogs in my sig below. - just alter the text a bit. I link out to Google's privacy policies, etc.

2. Keyword Research (KR). Helps to use a keyword research tool/table and enter terms that relate to your blog's story or theme. Popular ones are SEMRush, Keyword Eye, and Wordstream. Enter your terms/words to get a feel for the number of searches for those keywords (and alternative keywords that should display) - that you can work into your post. Suggestions tools can also help like Google's Auto Suggest and Ubbersuggest. KR is a little tedious and time consuming. Though you could think of your own that you believe suits. Note go easy on using keywords, just a "little" to use in posts. Search engines frown on too much use.

3. a. New Post I assume - this should create a new post page. Homepage and click the orange (should be) pencil tab to create a new post. But for titles you could add them on the new post and later link to future titles.

b. But perhaps also by using the page feature link on L/H side (below posts and above comments). This should create a link/tab along the top or L/H side. Pages normally for relatively static content though.

c. Or in layout mode you could use the Gadgets - link list or popular posts. But there is also the page feature tab to rearrange your page (from 3b above).

But not sure whether a new post or new page would suit for your titles or info. Maybe pages feature if relatively little content or largely unchanged.

Poppa John
01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
K C...Thanks for that, have printed it to study. PJ

kahawai chaser
01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
OK. Thanks. I forgot to mention you can use Google Properties - Google Search, AdPlanner (now called Google Display), and Trends.

For Google Search...enter keywords/queries...
a. Look at the Search Results Titles - they could be a source of keywords - then enter those in search again for more variants of keywords to use. Also visit some of those result pages (that are relevant to your blog) for more keyword ideas. Additionally you may be able to copy the url in Google Display (landing page I think it's called), to instantly get more keywords/groups.
b. Look at the number of results and type of results (text, images, videos, etc). and whether if on main domains or sub domains. If too many authoritative main domains, then hard to rank for those keywords in your blog.
c. See if search Ads are in abundance on the search result pages.
d. From b and c you can assess the type of content but more importantly the level of competition against your blog's theme...

....Which means regardless of keywords to use - it could take a long time to rank on or near page 1 for competitive core keywords. Particularly if there is commercial intent. Therefore when starting out it's better to use lessor keywords (called longtails), unless of course if you are well branded, have a strong social presence, or have an authority domain.

2. Using Google Adplanner/Display...
- Breaks down keywords into groups (as does other tools such as Wordstream and Word Tracker) - instantly - which you could possibly use. Though it's primarily geared for PPC Advertisers - so results may not show lessor terms if no commercial intent. But Try and see.

3. Google Trends...
- Put your keywords in that to see if they are sustainable - Search queries can change, i.e. a trend downwards, which may mean it may not worthy to use those keywords...

4. The other thing you need to rank in most search engines are back links, preferably from authority, trusted domains, to form a diverse back link profile. Which is usually the hard part as requires reaching out and forming online relationships, and listing your blog in relevant directories or other platforms, with others similar (or complementary) to your blog theme.

Poppa John
03-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I will sort this damned thing yet. PJ

kahawai chaser
03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah can be a heck of a lot of work doing all this Keyword/Back Link/Content optimization thing....But then again one can do absolutely little or none of it initially, for their websites, and rank and convert well. Two NZ examples are Geekzone and Buildeazy, which got reviewed by Google Adsense here, (http://google-newzealand.blogspot.co.nz/2010/02/adsense-bringing-extra-income-to-kiwis.html) because of their very high adsense income.

So PJ - Maybe write as you "feel"- kind of naturally and see how that goes in terms of rankings/search visitors. It's what I have done for my first 10 or so posts for my blogs and sites.

Poppa John
04-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Sooo...here I am again.

Two things I want to do.
Put a menu on the front screen to click on & get page 2.
Put page two on it.
I believe that I cannot "Insert" a word doc across, is that correct?

When you sit next to someone & watch what they do, it is easier to understand. What I need is step by step instructions. I haven't found any yet. PJ

Poppa John
04-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I have just been into the Google blog help & I think there are clues to what I want. Just have to try & understand them now. PJ

Webdevguy
04-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Sooo...here I am again.

Two things I want to do.
Put a menu on the front screen to click on & get page 2.
Put page two on it.
I believe that I cannot "Insert" a word doc across, is that correct?

When you sit next to someone & watch what they do, it is easier to understand. What I need is step by step instructions. I haven't found any yet. PJ

PJ You are correct. You cannot "insert" a word doc into any website. The formatting on word docs clashes with html.
Have you heard of the website called codecademy

I could post the 5 lines of html code that you would need to make a menu, but it would require you to be able to use the HTML editing facility that Google blogger has.

wainuitech
04-10-2014, 06:04 PM
When you sit next to someone & watch what they do, it is easier to understand Thats the best way.

JUST a suggestion / solution, ( no pressure on anyone) if someone is able to help, even though more than likely in another city, what about installing team Viewer, and using the Audio chat option. That way if someone is willing to teach they can connect, give instructions verbally and then the task be done and replicated, and any alterations to the action can be corrected "live"

Often when giving instructions whats easy for the person giving hem is hard for the person learning. Done this myself and it works quite well. :2cents:

Webdevguy
04-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Thats the best way.

JUST a suggestion / solution, ( no pressure on anyone) if someone is able to help, even though more than likely in another city, what about installing team Viewer, and using the Audio chat option. That way if someone is willing to teach they can connect, give instructions verbally and then the task be done and replicated, and any alterations to the action can be corrected "live"

Often when giving instructions whats easy for the person giving hem is hard for the person learning. Done this myself and it works quite well. :2cents:

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that :thumbs:

kahawai chaser
04-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't know fully enough for web coding. I get my scripts and learnt from tutorials such as blogger buster (http://www.bloggerbuster.com/) or blogger tips and tricks. (http://www.bloggertipsandtricks.com/)

PJ - you should be able to get a menu link (give it a title, e.g. page 2) by using the pages feature. Then write/copy your text on that page. I have just tried it and works. It creates a link across the top. Try it. I just did for the first time. No scripts required. It's the easiest way. HTML/Javascript gadgets could also be used.

Using Pages Feature:

On the Dashboard home page - click on drop down arrow - next to page icon, which is next to the orange edit pen. Next to your Blog Title. Scroll down to layout. Click on it, You are now in layout mode. Click on Pages on left hand side. Then click on new page tab. This opens a page. Click on page title above to enter your title. Then in the large box below write/copy what you want.

Click preview or publish. See if it suits. If not delete the page title by ticking the little box. Please let me know how you get on by trying it.

As noted, can't easily add/embed word doc's in blogger. Though you could create a link - but need to host the doc. Or convert/upload to Google docs and link to it.

Another way is to use another platform, e.g. like slide share (http://www.slideshare.net/) - copy your docs to that then embed the code to display your text/articles in blogger. You also get more exposure.

I assume then you don't want to really create or publish posts within blogger but rather display your articles somehow (seems pre-written in MS word) directly?

Poppa John
05-10-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't know fully enough for web coding. I get my scripts and learnt from tutorials such as blogger buster (http://www.bloggerbuster.com/) or blogger tips and tricks. (http://www.bloggertipsandtricks.com/)

PJ - you should be able to get a menu link (give it a title, e.g. page 2) by using the pages feature. Then write/copy your text on that page. I have just tried it and works. It creates a link across the top. Try it. I just did for the first time. No scripts required. It's the easiest way. HTML/Javascript gadgets could also be used.

Using Pages Feature:

On the Dashboard home page - click on drop down arrow - next to page icon, which is next to the orange edit pen. Next to your Blog Title. Scroll down to layout. Click on it, You are now in layout mode. Click on Pages on left hand side. Then click on new page tab. This opens a page. Click on page title above to enter your title. Then in the large box below write/copy what you want.

Click preview or publish. See if it suits. If not delete the page title by ticking the little box. Please let me know how you get on by trying it.

As noted, can't easily add/embed word doc's in blogger. Though you could create a link - but need to host the doc. Or convert/upload to Google docs and link to it.

Another way is to use another platform, e.g. like slide share (http://www.slideshare.net/) - copy your docs to that then embed the code to display your text/articles in blogger. You also get more exposure.

I assume then you don't want to really create or publish posts within blogger but rather display your articles somehow (seems pre-written in MS word) directly?

Using the Pages I have put a second page up but there is no link on the home page. Have I missed a step? PJ

kahawai chaser
05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
You are on the right track. But because you have a custom template, and I think a large header space, pages won't display by default it seems. But we now need to take the next step - the gadget approach.

Go to layout mode to display the various boxes for your template. Click add a gadget - at the top. The long horizontal one. This will open another box with the various gadgets. Google+ Button, Google+ Followers, etc. Scroll down a bit to Pages gadget (red page picture). Click the plus sign to open up another box. Then tick the little box next to your page title, and also click the home page box. You can further customize if you want by re-ordering the links/tabs. Click save. This will close the box. Then click save arrangement. This should publish your blog. Then visit or preview your blog. This hopefully will display their links at the very top of your blog if not reordered.

If not displayed then the html template has to be edited at the pages gadget section. Bit tricky that one, been long time since I have hacked a blogger template, but I think tutorials about.

Poppa John
05-10-2014, 08:57 PM
KC..thanks. Tomorrow. PJ

Webdevguy
05-10-2014, 09:03 PM
If not displayed then the html template has to be edited at the pages gadget section. Bit tricky that one, been long time since I have hacked a blogger template, but I think tutorials about.

Let me know if you have to resort to doing it via the HTML editor, I can help :)

Poppa John
06-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Let me know if you have to resort to doing it via the HTML editor, I can help :)

And KC. Just going to have another go. To recap...I have got page 1 introduction on screen. Page 2 is a book synopsis & is in there somewhere. I am trying to put a p2 link on p1. Or a basic menu.. So here goes. Thanks Guys. PJ

Webdevguy
06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
And KC. Just going to have another go. To recap...I have got page 1 introduction on screen. Page 2 is a book synopsis & is in there somewhere. I am trying to put a p2 link on p1. Or a basic menu.. So here goes. Thanks Guys. PJ

PJ, if you copy the url for page two and paste it in place of the # you will create a link to page 2

<p><a href="#">Book Synopsis</a></p>

it should look something like this when you have finished

<p><a href="http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/">Book Synopsis</a></p>

You can do that in the html editor section. Just use your url instead of the PC World url.