PDA

View Full Version : Apple Goofed -- OOPS!!

wainuitech
30-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Just another reason NOT to put all your data in one place on cloud storage, and have it syncing automatically, hopefully Apple has "backups" of their own servers, other wise there's a lot off really annoyed users :mad:

apple-ios-8-reset-bug-deletes-icloud-drive-files. (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/396299,apple-ios-8-reset-bug-deletes-icloud-drive-files.aspx?eid=3&edate=20140930&utm_source=20140930_PM&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter)

Guess storing your own backups on an external drive isn't a silly idea after all ;)

For such a big companies its amazing how many times these things aren't tested and any bugs sorted out. :groan:

kahawai chaser
30-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Should never have happened? Surely not if Steve Jobs was still around.

wainuitech
30-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Should never have happened? Surely not if Steve Jobs was still around. If Steve was still about, heads would roll that's for sure. He certainly ran a tight ship and didn't stand for slackness.

Webdevguy
30-09-2014, 08:25 PM
If Steve was still about, heads would roll that's for sure. He certainly ran a tight ship and didn't stand for slackness.
Interestingly enough, Tim Cook runs a tight ship too.
Update 5:33 PM: All iCloud services appear to be functionally normally again as indicated by Apple's System Status Page.

wainuitech
30-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Interestingly enough, Tim Cook runs a tight ship too.
Update 5:33 PM: All iCloud services appear to be functionally normally again as indicated by Apple's System Status Page. It should never have happened in the first place.

No big deal that the service is back up and going -- What about the data people have lost ? Some of it years worth of Documents etc. As one person posted on the forum:

I told it not to delete data and it did. Everything on my iPad and iCloud. 3 Years worth with hundreds of files. Critical marking spreadsheets as well.
So you can not trust iCloud with your data.
I suspect Apple are unable to get the data back, and think this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Another user:

I lost all of my documents in Pages across all of my devices as well as in iCloud. When I called Apple, they put me in "troubleshooting" mode so their engineers could work on retrieving my documents. This is the response that I have now received.

I just heard back from the engineers and they said they are unable to restore any of those documents.

Nice going -- tell the device not to delete and it does.

AS I mentioned before, a good reason NOT to have everything on cloud storage.

icow
30-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Guess storing your own backups on an external drive isn't a silly idea after all ;)

People never learn do they? That being said you'd think something like this shouldn't happen.

johcar
01-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Perhaps it's a newly implemented Apple privacy feature - remove the files so no-one else can see them, including you...

Greg
01-10-2014, 01:08 PM
But c'mon... anything beginning with a lowercase i should be suspect. Caveat emptor