PDA

View Full Version : AA membership

Cicero
29-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Have been a member for 2 years, get discount petrol and that is about it.
They want $100 for the 2 of us, do we think it is worth it, I am thinking not.

DeSade
29-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Not

R2x1
29-09-2014, 06:50 PM
In town late at night, in the rain with a flat battery - ???

CYaBro
29-09-2014, 07:15 PM
I've been a member since I got my drivers license so about 22 years.
Wife is also a member but she gets a discount being my wife and since I have been a member for so long I get a pretty good discount as well.
They've saved us plenty of times so I think it has been money well spent.

gary67
29-09-2014, 07:34 PM
I joined when I started studying at the Open Poly. I got associate membership as wife has been a member for years and gets great discount, mine is dirt cheap and you get 10% discount off Open poly papers which are about $600 each, Niece did her degree with them and saved enough money to get two of her papers basically free

Lawrence
29-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Been with them over 15/18 years,always think when paying the Annual sub do I really need this

Last august I did,locked the keys in the Boot with the car locked with mobile/house keys inside on a beach Reserve which was due to be locked in a few hours

Took over a hour to get in and were going to remove with a Tow truck if it got close to being locked out

Did not question paying this year
To add,the fuel discount is not worth diddly squat around Tauranga as you can get cheaper elsewhere

coldot
29-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Wife & I have about 90 years combined membership which means very big discounts on membership subs. We have called them only 3 or 4 times in the past 25 years, but getting service when you need it is worth much more than the current years subs. My advice is start when you're young and when you're over 60 the discounts mount up. (Note - in my experience cars break down rarely, but when they do it is at the most inappropriate time, place, weather etc!)

bk T
29-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Been with them since I came to NZ 26 years ago.

Called them for flat batteries a couple of times.

lakewoodlady
29-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Been a member for three years, have called them out twice. I think good value for woman on her own.

LL

psycik
29-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I preferred the old scheme rather than the stupid petrol discount, you could essentially pay your membership with the discount coupons.

plod
29-09-2014, 09:29 PM
We have a business membership with work, swmbo still calls me

Bobh
29-09-2014, 11:21 PM
I have AA come to my rescue twice this year due to flat batteries. Spec Savers give AA members free eye examinations. The AA magazine has some good reading it.

Good value I think.

gary67
30-09-2014, 06:39 AM
I have AA come to my rescue twice this year due to flat batteries. Spec Savers give AA members free eye examinations. The AA magazine has some good reading it.

Good value I think.

True once every 2 years though. I'm due to get another free eye test this coming Christmas

30-09-2014, 09:49 AM
In town late at night, in the rain with a flat battery - ???

Do they even come out late at night ??
When I was a member, the one time I needed them (12.30am) they wouldnt come, just got the answering machine saying it was after hours & message telling me
to find/ring a AA approved towie instead .
That was many years ago, has anything changed? If they dont have someone on call 24/7, then whats the point ?

Roscoe
30-09-2014, 10:13 AM
As well as the petrol discounts and call outs you can also have as many free maps as you can eat. I know that you can access maps on your phone, but phone maps do not show as large an area as maps.

I am not a mechanic and have no interest in fiddling with a car so the call out service is very useful for me. We recently had them attend to a flat battery. Very helpful and cheery service.

CliveM
30-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I have never been a member and I have never needed to be one. With a bit of common sense and keeping your vehicle seviceing up to date it would seem to me to be a waste of money.

Now I shall probably be eating my words before the end of the year :)

DeSade
30-09-2014, 11:40 AM
My insurance covers all of these scenarios, I see no need to duplicate that service.

Webdevguy
30-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Have been a member for 2 years, get discount petrol and that is about it.
They want $100 for the 2 of us, do we think it is worth it, I am thinking not.

Ive been a member since I got my drivers license when I was 15. I'd say $50 pa per person is a small price to pay.

Greg
30-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I think the concensus suggests... people should be driving more reliable cars, and... tie a damn spare key around your neck.

Cicero
30-09-2014, 12:48 PM
I think the concensus suggests... people should be driving more reliable cars, and... tie a damn spare key around your neck.
And a battery up your bum

Whenu
30-09-2014, 03:07 PM
As DeSade says, the insurance covers breakdowns, got a fuel discount card, best of both worlds.

Whenu
30-09-2014, 03:30 PM
As Desade says, the insurance policy covers breakdowns, only got the fuel discount card, best of both worlds.

kahawai chaser
30-09-2014, 04:18 PM
I have never been a member and I have never needed to be one. With a bit of common sense and keeping your vehicle servicing up to date it would seem to me to be a waste of money.

Now I shall probably be eating my words before the end of the year :)

Yeah agree - to do or arrange car service. I was a member for a few years mid 80's to late 80's/early 90's. About $68 a year. Few months after terminating membership, I got stranded late at night, after stopping to get fuel near Whakatane. Had to wake up my Grandfather who came out and adjusted and cleaned/filed the contact points. Since then he emphasized and taught me what parts/tools to travel with, e.g SM/Alt brushes/Jump Starter/Bulbs/Hoses/His Home Made Plate door unlocker/fluids, etc. for long trips. I still carry and use his old tools.

But I recall the AA where complaining a bit in their directions article about members not maintaining their batteries, resulting in a large number of callouts. I frequently come across people needing a jump start. Recently was a car salesman in a shopping mall, transferring a car. People won't test/buy battery until the last minute it seems.

Tried to find the battery article at AA Directions (http://www.aa.co.nz/membership/aa-directions/aa-directions-winter-2014/) but it seems no index, unless you need be a member to log in?

But doing a bit of advanced Google Search displayed some previous articles - though cached for over 2 years. Here are time stamped search results (http://bit.ly/1yxsDse) if interested.

Cicero
30-09-2014, 05:28 PM
:cryingI have paid it so I hope you are satisfied.:crying

R2x1
30-09-2014, 05:53 PM
The Olden Days slogan of AA's insurance divisions (SIMU & NIMU??) used to be that it's "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

From their point of view, doubly so I guess. ;)

inphinity
30-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Seems great value to me. Certainly saves tons of time and hassle if you have an unexpected breakdown or similar. Rather pay that than lose an hour or two trying to arrange towing or roadside fix, etc, which would be at yet further cost.

Cicero
30-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Seems great value to me. Certainly saves tons of time and hassle if you have an unexpected breakdown or similar. Rather pay that than lose an hour or two trying to arrange towing or roadside fix, etc, which would be at yet further cost.
Nobody would argue with that, just that in the last 40 years I have not required them, so not a big risk.

decibel
30-09-2014, 08:54 PM
As Desade says, the insurance policy covers breakdowns, only got the fuel discount card, best of both worlds.

So which insurance company is that? All cover accidents, but I don't know of any that will cover a flat battery.

decibel
30-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Do they even come out late at night ??
When I was a member, the one time I needed them (12.30am) they wouldnt come, just got the answering machine saying it was after hours & message telling me
to find/ring a AA approved towie instead .
That was many years ago, has anything changed? If they dont have someone on call 24/7, then whats the point ?

But that is the man - the tow truck driver is the de-facto AA man after hours; he provides the service you need.

DeSade
30-09-2014, 09:31 PM
So which insurance company is that? All cover accidents, but I don't know of any that will cover a flat battery.

http://www.state.co.nz/about-state-insurance/pages/state-roadside-rescue.aspx

WalOne
30-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Back to the original question, I think it's a good deal. Twice in the last month I've had a flat battery and the AA arrived within 30 minutes to start me - at my home. The battery is only 3 months old but the (aging - like me) alternator had decided to pack an intermittent sad. The AA man diagnosed the alternator problem which I then had fixed by an auto electrician. I certainly got value for money.

I'm a fan for the AA SmartFuel scheme. I optimise the discounts by buying fuel in $40 lots and keeping the discounts, then before the discounts expire buy the 50 litre maximum amount to apply the discounts to. The last such transaction was today - because the discount expired today - and I purchased the 50L for a cost of $47 - a saving of around $53 on a pump price of $2/L.

Works for me.

kahawai chaser
30-09-2014, 10:04 PM
But deals for fuel discounts should come from Petrol companies for all motorists to benefit - not from AA or supermarkets. So why not? Rather than flyby's or confectionery/beverage discounts.

gary67
01-10-2014, 06:40 AM
I called them out at my last house because some sick person broke into my car and stole the battery and before that because i couldn't change the wheel after the operation on my shoulder and swmbo couldn't lift the wheel.

decibel
01-10-2014, 09:59 PM
http://www.state.co.nz/about-state-insurance/pages/state-roadside-rescue.aspx

I think you are stretching things a bit there - State Roadside Rescue isn't exactly a normal car insurance policy.
It is an add-on and at $30 extra for the first two callouts (provided you have a policy with them), it could be argued that it is no better than the AA which does not require an insurance policy.

I agree though, that most people would find that deal to be equivalent to an AA membership.