PDA

View Full Version : BNZ Scam Email

Winston001
27-09-2014, 04:07 AM
I think I'm reasonably careful and can spot obvious scams. However a couple of days ago an email from BNZ advised someone had tried to access my account. It looked kosher and referred to ip addresses so I thought it was genuine. After clicking on a web link and entering my details fortunately I paused because the ip looked odd.

And it was.

This is a sophisticated scam which I've reported to BNZ so please be aware of it. BNZ are not publicising the scam because they don't want to frighten the horses but a heads-up for everyone makes sense.

Scary stuff.

pctek
27-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Banks do not email you about account matters.
The way to change your login details is NOT to click on links but to go the usual way to your bamking site.

BNZ are not publishing the scam because they are as common as dirt and already mentioned everywhewre.
If I go into my spam folder I see this sort of message from a whole bunch of banks ....the latest was Heartland Bank.

Hilarious as my bank is ASB.
Even if I had such a thing from ASB, it would be bogus.

Banks also only notify you if money disappears in a way that doesn't look normal, not incorrect login attempts.

pctek
27-09-2014, 08:29 AM
All of it is made clear on their website:

https://www.bnz.co.nz/personal-banking/footer/privacy-and-security/phishing

BNZ will always send out e-mails from bnz.co.nz. We will never send you electronic communication (email, text messages) that asks for your confidential information or with links to your Internet banking login pages or pages that ask you to provide your personal banking information.
If you are contacted in this manner do not click on any of the links in the email.

My bank - ABS - for instance, send emails via the email facility in online banking. You have to login first then there is a message system at right under one of the menus.
This is because you don't get generic emails direct to your email address from them......

wainuitech
27-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Banks do not email you about account matters. Actually the ANZ stuffed up a while back. They did email out a mail that contained a link. It was to do with setting up the two step sign in procedure. The link took you to their actual site ( it was real) But you have to sign in to activate the second stage.

With these scammers making pages so convincing it wouldn't have been hard to duplicate ANZ's site. I didn't log in Via their link, but only by the normal means I do all the time, the actual two step setup was the same.

A few days later got a call from ANZ (My account manager) while talking I mentioned the email, and he said No we dont do that -- I told him he had better check, gave him the time and date - so he did, and in fact ANZ HAD sent it out. He was WTF :horrified - Said heads will roll over this, someone stuffed up and it will be taken care of right away to make sure it never happens again.

WalOne
30-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Said heads will roll over this, someone stuffed up and it will be taken care of right away to make sure it never happens again.

Yeah, the last banker who said this to me was Ralph Norris when he was at ASB.

I requested a recording of the satisfying and unique thud a decapitated head makes as it bounces on the scaffold. Strangely my request was not acknowledged :D

WalOne
30-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Said heads will roll over this, someone stuffed up and it will be taken care of right away to make sure it never happens again.

Yeah, the last banker who said this to me was Ralph Norris when he was at ASB.

I requested a recording of the satisfying and unique thud a decapitated head makes as it bounces on the scaffold. Strangely my request was not acknowledged :D

kenj
01-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Echo?

Ken :)