PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone come across this win8 install error before??

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Trying to install Win8 on the old PC here. Only prob is 1. It did something the first time and stuffed it up. The 2nd time it said it was locked.

So I decided to remove the hdd and format it on this. Which worked (only 1 partition). Then a 0x80070570 error kept coming up. Some sites said this maybe due to faulty ram which I doubt. Because its been there for the last 3-4 years. I removed 4 gb anyway. Tried again. Now with the Win8 Pro DVD. That is purchased and I do have a key. The only country I can pick is UK. But underneath I can pick NZ. It gets so far after I type the key in. Then it says it cant verify it??

wtf. So how exactly would you install it, if the install cant verify the key?

I know win 8 works on it. Because win8 was on it before I formatted it

Thought the hdd maybe the prob tried another same thing

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2014, 08:46 PM
The hdd does still work . I did connect it to this. Only prob is I cant reinstall on it

wainuitech
25-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Sounds like something my be up the creek in the Image/install. The UK / NZ options are right, generally the OEM is UK, where as retail are US by default.

When entering the Product key it checks to see if its correct, or the right version. This is done completely within the install /DVD. You don't need to be on line to get it to validate. Don't think I've ever been connected to the LAN when installing.

What you can try , is use one of the default / Pre installation / KMS product keys. These product keys cannot be used for activation, but will let you install, then once installed change the product key. http://lugns.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/windows-8-and-x-preinstallation-product-keys/ Link to TechNet at top of the article as well.

If the error 0x80070570 The file may be corrupt or missing, is the complete message, there could be a problem with the Image. Just reading, someone else changed the hard drive mode from AHCI to IDE - fixing the problem.

dugimodo
25-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I've had the faulty RAM causing disk errors problem, generally it acts as if there are file read errors on the disk if that's the case and it's bloody hard to tell what's going on at first. I had a windows install that would continuously fail with errors but not always at the same point despite trying different disks and another drive. So it can cause this problem.

What was the reason for re-installing windows in the first place, was it playing up and could a fault be the reason? Have you tried removing all partitions completely and letting the windows install re-create them? in case something weird is going on from the first failed attempt. Drives generally only get locked during partitioning or cloning actions and sometimes if that fails to complete properly they can stay locked. Also have you error checked the hard drive in case it's the problem or run a memtest on the RAM ?

One cool thing about windows 8 compared to previous versions is it is far more likely to boot on different hardware. I swapped motherboards between 2 pc's and all I had to do was change the keys to match and both systems activated and worked without re-installing (media PC had a better MB & chipset than my gaming PC and didn't need to). As a last resort you could install windows with one of those keys Wainui mentioned on a different PC then swap the drive in. Works best if the chipset is similar.

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2014, 12:25 PM
I think I borked (probably corrupted) the partition, when I tried to format / partition/reinstall windows. Because after that rigmarole the bloody install kept saying files were corrupt everytime it tried to copy the files to the hdd

Didn't think it was the DVD itself its hardly been used but created an ISO out of it, and used rufus to extract it to flash drive. Had to select NTFS and MRB in this so it'd actually install from the flash drive.

Same error. Then in the end I decided to connect this hdd to the new build. Deleted C on this (it's partition), and 2 of the empty partitions. And recreated them. Thats what fixed the install.

I would say thats what it was telling me when it was saying corrupted files / media. When it tried to copy the files from the DVD / flash drive.

The DVD / flash drive wasn't the prob, the hdd partition was knackered / corrupt lol.

Dont know if Speedstep had something to do with it. It was disabled previously. But I decided to turn it on. It played up.

Tried to turn it on after the install it crashed / and tried to do a repair. Had to kill it again to stop the crashing. But all good (so far), I'm typing this on it. And put the 4 gb back in, that I took out again. And it still shows 8 GB

I know the ram is fine it has never crashed on me since I built this system. Thats like 4-5 yrs now. And that bloody annoying error saying about verifying. I unplugged the USB wireless. That fixed it

I did something cant remember what and it went haywire lol

wainuitech
25-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Why didn't you simply wipe the drive ? If you have any USB drives/devices attached it can really screw up the installing, seen it more than once the OS try to install to a card Reader.
With everything removed, and drive completely blank, the OS will have created the partitions & Formatted on its own, then if you wanted to create more simply shrink C and add new ones. Last time I actually pre created partitions was on Win98.

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Thats what I tried but it hiccuped somewhere. Thats what stuffed it up

Dont have anything USB connected. But I did unplug / do unplug the internal card reader, everytime I do a clean install. I know I can delete the partitions, there's 4 of them. But one of them I wanted to keep its full of the updates etc. Its got 100 GB+ on it. Which thankfully is still there

Thats why I didnt delete the lot