PDA

View Full Version : A HDD problem

curly
23-09-2014, 10:41 AM
My windows 7 has two HDDs. One HDD is c: and it works perfectly well.

However my D: is acting up. The D: is a Samsung HD154UI and according to the computer has 12.6 Gb of space.

Now however I have another local disk named E:, which contains 136 TB. How is it that D: has split its self in two ?

Both drives D and E have $recycle.Bin and System Volume Info (which is not accessible) ?

23-09-2014, 11:16 AM
OK. How may PHYSICAL hd's are there , HD's not partitions
You dont have 136 TB

have you confused partitions with actual physical HD's ?
Its not unusual for a HD drive to be spit up into more than 1 partition (eg D & E, or C, D & E) . It all depends on how it was initially set up.

curly
23-09-2014, 12:21 PM
OK. How may PHYSICAL hd's are there , HD's not partitions
You dont have 136 TB

have you confused partitions with actual physical HD's ?
Its not unusual for a HD drive to be spit up into more than 1 partition (eg D & E, or C, D & E) . It all depends on how it was initially set up.

There are two physical Hard drives, one being C drive and the other is D drive (which is 1500 Gb).

I have personally had these drives from new and neither has been partitioned by myself, if fact I have never created a partition on any drive that I have ever had, I would not know how to :-)

Do you think, if I deleted E:, would the drive space be returned to D: drive, or would that be a bit risky ?

wainuitech
23-09-2014, 01:15 PM
First thing that comes to mind is -- You didn't make a backup to the second drive did you ?

As for simply deleting E, a person would have to be damn crazy ( and dangerous) to say yes without seeing whats there. Can you take a screen shot of the Drives that shows the details of the partitions.

dugimodo
23-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Partitons don't make themselves and they don't grow to use spare space by themselves either, it can be done though.
Right click my computer, choose manage, go to disk management. That'll show you the physical drives and the partitions on them. If you could screenshot that it'd be useful to help answer your questions.

Basically as long as D and E are on the same drive and no programs are installed to E and no boot files are on it THEN you can copy off any data you want to keep, delete the partition in disk management, then expand the D drive to use the space.
relatively simple but risky to advise on remotely as Wainui said.

23-09-2014, 01:36 PM
I have personally had these drives from new and neither has been partitioned by myself, if fact I have never created a partition on any drive that I have ever had, I would not know how to :-)

Who installed the 2nd drive & set it up ? It may just be it was setup a bit weird.
Whats the TOTAL size of D & the TOTAL size of E ?
Whats the amount of used space in D & E

They can be resized or repartitioned, but you really need to know what youre doing else you'll loose all the data on them.
You could, backup ALL data on D & E. Remove D & E partitons & then setup a single full size, 1.5T D: partition
Or move any data off E , delete E & resize D (be carefull)