PDA

View Full Version : Usb Wifi Dongle

Poppa John
19-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi All.

Can somebody explain wow these work to connect to the Internet, or provide a Link? Thanks. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2014, 04:23 PM
You have to login to the router enable wireless set the security for wireless like WPA/WPA2 and give it a password. You have to do the same thing with the wireless adapter

Plug it in install drivers (windows may install generic drivers). Click on the icon for it on the taskbar, type in the password to connect to router. Obviously you need a wireless router to get online

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/setting-wireless-network#1TC=windows-7

wainuitech
19-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Theres the type that Speedy Described, and then theres another sort that many people also call USB Wifi. These are ones like Wireless Broadband. Still a USB type device or now Cards that install as Speedy points out, BUT you basically dial upto the internet (in non technical terms). You are not dependant on any other wireless router or internet connection as the USB device is the connection.

You can have plans from an ISP or Pre Paid. Here for example are some charges from Vodafone vodafone.co.nz/mobile-broadband (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-broadband/open-term-data/?gclid=COeDm_Os7MACFZEJvAodboIAsw)They are expensive compared to your home usage plans /Data.

Poppa John
19-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks Guys.
At home here we are with Telecom & a Wi-Fi modem/router. All works well. But supposing I need to take my laptop to a place where there is no Wi-Fi. Possibly for 1-3 months. How would I connect to the Internet?
SPEEDY...Assume no router at this time.
WT. I saw this at Warehouse Stat.TP-Link Nano Wireless N 150 USB Adaptor $29.90. Is this what connects to the Internet. Can I use the same account that we have at home? Or what? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2014, 06:44 PM

At home here we are with Telecom & a Wi-Fi modem/router. All works well. But supposing I need to take my laptop to a place where there is no Wi-Fi. Possibly for 1-3 months. How would I connect to the Internet?

You would have to buy something like this then (http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Spark-E3531-T-stick-Bundle?SKU=1788004). I think? Not a USB wifi adapter that you can use at home

2. WT. I saw this at Warehouse Stat.TP-Link Nano Wireless N 150 USB Adaptor $29.90. Is this what connects to the Internet. Can I use the same account that we have at home? Or what?

You would have to be somewhere, like a library or a place that has wifi available to use that. So you can connect to it.

Poppa John
19-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Speedy...With your link, who do you actually connect to? PJ

wainuitech
19-09-2014, 09:06 PM
The link speedy posted is the same sort of thing as the ones at Vodafone , this is the prepaid, along with pricing / GB http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-broadband/prepay/ ( other ISP's Have the same thing).

In a nutshell, in non technical terms, how they work is you plug them in, they set themselves up automatically ( usually) if its Pre Paid the "Account" is already included, When you want to connect to the internet its like dialing up ( so to speak) the connection of the ISP concerned, 3G or 4G http://computer.howstuffworks.com/mobile-broadband-service1.htm

As for using your current plan ( from home) it depends if its got mobile assigned. Some do some dont. BUT which ever way its a seperate cost to your normal Broadband charges ( usually a LOT more expensive depending on your plan) Easiest way is to contact your ISP and see what they can offer in Pricing. If its only a one off "trip" pre-pay would be the way to go, you should be able to top the prepay up when it runs low/out.

Poppa John
19-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Wt...Thanks. Speedy, too PJ

lakewoodlady
19-09-2014, 10:42 PM
PJ, do you have a "smartphone"? because if you do, then you can " tether" your phone to your laptop or tablet etc which turns your phone into a portable wi-fi hotspot. I do it all the time, sometimes I go stay with family in Taranaki who have no wireless modem, I just turn on my phone to tethering and then I can connect using the data from my phone plan.
This works in a similar way to the pocket wi-fi usb sticks from Telecom or Vodafone.

Hope this idea is helpful, LL. :-)

dugimodo
20-09-2014, 12:07 AM
With the mobile provider USB modems from Spark/Vodafone etc they are ok if all you want to do is a bit of light browsing and check your e-mail, but the data is way too expensive for anything that uses a lot of data.
I used a telecom T-stick once a month when I attended a LAN group for internet access and with a couple hours of online gaming and a bit of browsing I would use most of my 500MB allowance on the $19 pre-pay.

Some of the sticks come with 2GB free data as an introductory offer, at the prices they charge for data you could just throw it away and get a new one when it runs out and do better that any of the data packages you can buy (at least you could, haven't checked lately).

If you have a telecom (sorry spark, whatever) smartphone and can find a phone booth with wi-fi near where you are staying you can get 1GB Wi-Fi a day for free. It occurs to me if I lived near one I would almost not need broadband :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2014, 08:41 AM
You can even use a prepaid mobile, if the computer installs drivers for it. Using USB. I've used a normal Telecom R109 phone to get online. Using Joinme. Just click on connect in the program to get online. And disconnect to disconnect it. When you've finished