PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who

Tony
19-09-2014, 02:38 PM
I hope I'm not duplicating an existing thread...

What do we think of the new Dr Who? I'm still suspending judgement. It all seems a bit OTT atm, but maybe it will settle down. I think the storylines need improving apart from any qualities Pete Capaldi may have. I did think in the last episode that Clara was going to end up stuck in the Dalek to give us full circle for when she first appeared - but no. /[NerdRant]

DeSade
19-09-2014, 02:44 PM
I like him.
Warming up to him faster than I warmed up to Matt Smith.

So far I am enjoying seeing the darker side of the Doctor that was hinted at with the War Doctor.
Story-lines will get better as the series goes on.

the_bogan
19-09-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm not keen on the new Doctor Who. It just seems to be trying to do too much but too little, and the rate they're going through the storyline, it wouldn't surprise me if the series ends again inside three years.

Maybe biased, but I'm currently reading through the "new series" of Doctor Who that carried on after the original series finished. That is so awesome compared to the current series.

dugimodo
19-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I like him, feels more like classic Dr who to me with an older looking Dr. I've liked all the new doctors and was dubious about this one but I think he'll work out fine.
Whether he appeals to the younger audience as well as the last 2 remains to be seen. I remember thinking Matt Smith looked too young and goofy to be the Dr when he was first announced and that worked out ok.

Personally I really liked how they've brought bad classic villains and stayed close to how they looked originally but I think it's time they moved on, enough Daleks, Cyberman , etc We've seen all them many times before, time for something new.

Tony
19-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Personally I really liked how they've brought bad classic villains and stayed close to how they looked originally but I think it's time they moved on, enough Daleks, Cyberman , etc We've seen all them many times before, time for something new. +1

kenj
19-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Wot??? Dr Who without Daleks? Never Sir!!!!

Ken

paulw
19-09-2014, 06:07 PM
My wife and I are having a hard time getting into this new series. Will wait until a few more eps pass..

R2x1
19-09-2014, 07:34 PM
My wife and I are having a hard time getting into this new series. Will wait until a few more eps pass..

Having trouble passing those eps? Try prunes washed down by syrup of figs. ;) That should get things moving along nicely, and you and the Dr can meet less formally.

Cicero
20-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Get some chocs and hold hands while watching, that would be nice.

Strommer
22-09-2014, 05:57 PM
I am having a hard time warming up to this new Dr., but most likely will accept him OK in time.

Glad to see Jenna Coleman / Clara back ;)

I did like the two previous Dr's although SWMBO could not stand them.

Tony
22-09-2014, 10:26 PM
I thought the latest episode was definitely the best so far of this series.

Whenu
23-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Dr. Who?

Greg
23-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Dr. Who?x2

I used to watch this TV series when I was a seven year old - was fascinating then, but oh so boring ever since I noticed an episode or two in recent years. Definitly not for grown-ups, no matter who plays the part.

dugimodo
23-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Definitly not for grown-ups, no matter who plays the part.

Speak for yourself, I refused to be defined by someone else's Idea of "Grown up" I'm 46 and I love this show.
You should say "definitely not for me" and leave the rest of us out of it, we can make our own judgements.

People have different tastes and that's fine, but your comment is mildly insulting. You also can't judge a show fairly by "an episode or two in recent years"
Didn't mean to rant and I'm not as annoyed as this may make me sound, but I wanted to make the point.

the_bogan
23-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Speak for yourself, I refused to be defined by someone else's Idea of "Grown up" I'm 46 and I love this show.
You should say "definitely not for me" and leave the rest of us out of it, we can make our own judgements.

People have different tastes and that's fine, but your comment is mildly insulting. You also can't judge a show fairly by "an episode or two in recent years"
Didn't mean to rant and I'm not as annoyed as this may make me sound, but I wanted to make the point.

Agreed. Go back and look through some of the scenes in the new series. I doubt anyone but a grown up would get any of the humour/sarcasm

Cicero
23-09-2014, 02:58 PM

The insulting bit I find a bit PC.

dugimodo
23-09-2014, 04:24 PM
The insulting bit I find a bit PC.
I'm not quite following you, mildy insulting is exactly what I meant. The 2nd part of my comment was made when I read the first back to myself and it sounded to me like I was really pissed off when I wasn't. Maybe I should have just let the first bit stand.

Tony
23-09-2014, 04:32 PM
The insulting bit I find a bit PC.PC?? What? Explain how you would have expressed what was said without it being "PC".

Greg
23-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Hmm. Hmmmmmm! I care, mate. Just 'cos you're re-defined? Grow up pal, and whatever you define yourself I don't "define" you.

May I suggest you read our good friend Plod's comments - he has more than an ounce of maturity.

C'mon Dugi - let's get along.

plod
23-09-2014, 06:43 PM
I was always found hiding behind the couch when the music started

plod
23-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Hmm. Hmmmmmm! I care, mate. Just 'cos you're re-defined? Grow up pal, and whatever you define yourself I don't "define" you.May I suggest you read our good friend Plod's comments - he has more than an ounce of maturity.C'mon Dugi - let's get along.?

Tony
23-09-2014, 06:51 PM
The ambiguity and enigmatic discourse here is well worthy of Dr. Who.

R2x1
23-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Witch Doctor?
;)

dugimodo
23-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Plod's comments? am I missing something else. Until you mentioned him I didn't see any comments from Plod in this thread for me to read.

Anyway there you go telling me to grow up after saying a show I like is not for grown ups. Are you trying to convince me to change into someone who won't watch this show because that's your opinion of it?
I'm good and grown up and have been for a long time now and I still like this show. I disagree with your definition of a grown up I guess. Calling shows you don't have an interest in not for grown-ups seems like a not very grown up thing to say to me.

Anyway, I don't feel like we're not getting along just yet. I'm just telling you I consider Dr Who as absolutely a show for grown ups. I don't doubt there are shows you like I have absolutely no interest in, it's the differences that make life interesting.

kahawai chaser
23-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Yeah Must admit that TV theme from the 60's/70's Dr Who was a bit scary. Thought he was never coming back after vanishing /transporting in the phone box.

Cicero
23-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm not quite following you, mildy insulting is exactly what I meant. The 2nd part of my comment was made when I read the first back to myself and it sounded to me like I was really pissed off when I wasn't. Maybe I should have just let the first bit stand.
We must assume you are easily insulted.

To be insulted there must have been that intention and I would be very surprised if there was.

wainuitech
23-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Doesn't rally matter the age of the viewers, you either like it or you don't.

Considering it first aired in November 1963, and still around must say something. The program is probably older than a lot of the people here on PF1.

One thing that has not changed hugely over the last 51 years is its theme music, sure its changed from time to time, but the basic theme still remains and anyone who knows the program can recognise it, almost a :devil and pending evil sense. Can still remember watching it on TV when a kid ( AND in black and white, no colour TV's at that time) :horrified

Tony
23-09-2014, 11:14 PM
One thing that has not changed hugely over the last 51 years is its theme music, sure its changed from time to time, but the basic theme still remains and anyone who knows the program can recognise it, almost a :devil and pending evil sense.I have a teenage friend who knows more about Dr Who than anyone I have met. He has all the different theme tunes on his cellphone, and if you mention any item from a past Dr. Who he will say "oh, yes, that was episode x from series y". It's a pity Mastermind is no longer around - he'd be a shoo-in.

gary67
24-09-2014, 07:35 AM

+1 and I still don't watch it, but that's because I have never been a Sci-fi fan