PDA

View Full Version : Drug Testing

pctek
04-09-2014, 07:48 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11318645

Relative had to have one recently for her job as phone person for animal control.

Drug testing is allowed if the work can be a health and safety issue.
Phone work??? But hospital staff are not drug tested.

Yeah Right as the billboard says.

Why aren't they? Because of the numbers that would fail.

Greg
04-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Interesting thought pctek. But would you agree that any job should be required to drug and alcohol test be a standard employment procedure?

I do. But within certain standards/codes of conduct.

plod
04-09-2014, 10:05 AM
When I signed my contract it mentioned random drug and alcohol testing. I asked if it was to be random if they would be supplying the drugs and alcohol. Still got the job and syill havent had to test for drugs 6 years later

pctek
04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Interesting thought pctek. But would you agree that any job should be required to drug and alcohol test be a standard employment procedure?

I do. But within certain standards/codes of conduct.

No.
I agree with the rather vague law - if there is a safety aspect to the job, yes, regular testing should be done. Especially in hospital operating rooms.

I'd fail on codeine. Never mind it's bugger all, I was asked at one (admin and counter work) job I went for, explained it was prescription but that eliminated me instantly.
Because - it's not impairment, it's the fact that you have a medical condition - and others don't,. so process of elimination.

dugimodo
04-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Our company has a random drug testing policy and I'm not sure if all positions could really claim a health and safety issue. Doesn't worry me though.

I know of another industry which I won't name where employees regularly fail the random drug tests and are just stood down for a few days as a result with no real serious repercussions. Makes a joke of the whole thing really.

prefect
04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I was talking to a forestry gang owner on the East Coast around 2 years ago. He said if he drug tested his gang probably over half for fail and at one time so he does not test. I remember fixing forestry equipment in Woodhill forest for one gang who bored in the old Grand Hotel which was then really a backpackers. They would go on the piss every night but Friday night was take no prisoners piss drinking night and smoking electric puha outside in the beer garden. Some of the digger guys would slam the grapple into a stump so it would knock off a fitting or rip a hose so they could get some sleep as they waited for me to turn up I went to a couple of their sessions at the Grand so thats how I know.

pctek
05-09-2014, 07:31 AM
I was talking to a forestry gang owner on the East Coast around 2 years ago. He said if he drug tested his gang probably over half for fail and at one time so he does not test. .

Probably why there are so many logging accidents.

fred_fish
05-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Probably why there are so many logging accidents.

Indeed.
An incorrect usage of awk or grep is all too common while under the influence :thumbs:

Cato
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
When I signed my contract it mentioned random drug and alcohol testing. I asked if it was to be random if they would be supplying the drugs and alcohol. Still got the job and syill havent had to test for drugs 6 years later

Such a policy comes in handy when people want to play politics, especially when things go all back-stabby.

R2x1
09-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Indeed.
An incorrect usage of awk or grep is all too common while under the influence. . .

:banana:D:clap:D:banana