PDA

View Full Version : Is Zone Alarm good or really bad?

17-12-2001, 06:51 PM
Hi, I was just wondering is Zone Alarm a good firewall programe or is it not that good. I mean...it's free. And is the defense good?
I have Zone Alarm for some times now and it had block alot of internet access(hackers). And just don't know if Zone Alarm actually block it or not.

Thanks alot

17-12-2001, 07:29 PM
hi Mike,

others will disagree, but I think it's a gimmick.
Did you really need to know about these attacks?

It is more important not to let something nasty like a trojan on to your system, this task can be performed by a good virus scanner kept up to date.

Only a properly configured dedicated firewall is a real solution.

17-12-2001, 09:01 PM
Hi Mike,
I believe its a good thing.
1) It shows you how active various probes are on the internet.
2)It makes you invisible to any probes.
3)It does protect you from these programs especially if your computer is not configured properly.
4)It stops your infected computer accessing the net to spead, and pass information on.
5 It does provide some email protection.
Together with a good AV program you should be pretty well protected, provided you are cautious with email and downloading from unknown sites.( I don't use IE Explorer and Outlook).

17-12-2001, 09:04 PM
According to Steve Gibson ZoneAlarm is the best personal firewall. http://grc.com/ is his site. It is not foolproof though because if you get a malicious program on your computer(eg. an Email attachment) it can utilize you internet software which has full access usually to access the net. I certainly don't believe that it is a gimmick.

17-12-2001, 09:24 PM
any protection is better than no protection.

thou its not as good as a full firewall set up zone alarm is the best software firewall for newbies and medium users. more advanced users might like tiny, sygate or nortons better.

don't forget any firewall/computer setup is not toatal secure. they are not foolproof.

'make it idiot proof and some one will make a better idiot' ;-)

17-12-2001, 10:48 PM
zonealarm may not be perfect but in software terms, it's not far off. probably the only better soft firewall is zonealarm pro. pc worlds test rate it high also. what is for certain is that it's the best freeware available.
get the updates regularly though. latetst is vers 2.6.362

18-12-2001, 01:37 AM
...and if you get sick of having all those warning boxes interrupt your work - right click on Z/A Icon in System Tray > restore Z/A Control Centre > Click Alerts tab > and uncheck 'show the alert popup window'.

e_

19-12-2001, 11:29 AM
I think Zone alarm is quite especially knowing that you can apply the internet lock and know that your system is safe.

However, beware of uninstalling zone alarm, go to www.zonelabs.com for uninstall instructions before you do. I did this and had problems with web browsing and outlook, I ended up reimaging my PC to solve the problem.

19-12-2001, 01:09 PM
It's GOOD !