PDA

View Full Version : Help me solve this delimma!

WalOne
01-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Dear PCW Press1 Angony Aunt

Today, my Canon printer ran out of black ink.

Warehouse Stationery offered to sell me a black ink cartridge for $48. So far, so good.

But then they offered me a brand new printer for $30, which came complete with a black cartridge - and a colour cartridge.

What am I to do?

:eek:

How the hell where do I get rid of (now) four Canon printers cluttering up a cupboard? That I've only used for as long as it took me to deplete the cartridges? And that I can't even give away because the ink cartridges cost too much?

:confused:

Jen
01-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Seems so wrong eh? Often the cartridges that come with printers are not full sized anyway. Do your bit for the environment and just get the refills. Alternatively, if you don't need colour then consider a cheap B&W laser printer.

WalOne
01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Yup, I've done the numbers, I really only use spot colour, and I did consider a cheap $99 laser BW printer. But my squawk here was more to highlight the ridiculous pricing of Canon and others like them.

BTW Jen, you've been silent lately in the moderating department. Business must be good if you don't have much to do :)

R2x1
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Plan A/.
Sell the old cartridge body on TardMe as a "refill starter kit" with a reserve of $55.
List the Printer as Pre-loved, refill-ready, Apple compatible with reserve of $220 and a Buy-Now tag of $180. Be sure to emphasize that stocks unfortunately are strictly limited. ;)

Plan B/.
Wash the cartridge thoroughly so no visible ink traces remain. Fill with water.
List on trade me as an encrypted secret printer for Confidential File printing, guaranteed to resist the SFO and SIS, ideal for South Auckland MP's.

Yours etc.
Aunt Betty

P.S. For your delimma, try a tree surgeon.;)

B.M.
01-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Buy some ink off the likes of Trade Me and refill the cartridges Wal.

Works out cheap as chips and when the heads pack it in then buy another $30 printer and start all over again. ;)

lakewoodlady
01-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Plan A/.
Sell the old cartridge body on TardMe as a "refill starter kit" with a reserve of $55.
List the Printer as Pre-loved, refill-ready, Apple compatible with reserve of $220 and a Buy-Now tag of $180. Be sure to emphasize that stocks unfortunately are strictly limited. ;)

Plan B/.
List on trade me as an encrypted secret printer for Confidential File printing, guaranteed to resist the SFO and SIS, ideal for South Auckland MP's.

Yours etc.
Aunt Betty

P.S. For your delimma, try a tree surgeon.;)

Lol!

LL

Jen
01-09-2014, 10:12 PM
BTW Jen, you've been silent lately in the moderating department. Business must be good if you don't have much to do :)The spammer's are still here - the software catches most of them. I just sent another one on its merry way...

However, I am expecting a bit of action with the pending election and heated debates going postal. :D

Jen
01-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Plan B/.
List on trade me as an encrypted secret printer for Confidential File printing, guaranteed to resist the SFO and SIS, ideal for South Auckland MP's.You ought to try that! :lol:

R2x1
01-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Election debates with banning! I'll vote for that . . .

Agent_24
02-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Refills are OK, some are really cheap too - just don't use them for photos and expect them to last under sunlight, or anything else for that matter.

Otherwise: printers go eventually on TM at $1 reserve, but fly out the door if you use Freecycle.

Greg
02-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Personally I'm lucky not to have to have to use my HP inkjet much, so I don't hesitate to buy originals. But I do keep an eye on specials from DSE and Warehouse Staionery.

02-09-2014, 09:58 AM
I remember when I worked for an Importer, he imported NEW color carts for about 50c each, they sold for about $25.
Not a bad markup :-)

My New (not cheap) canon inkjet had those awfull starter cartridges.
I got maybe 100 pages out of them , then I had to buy new ink carts

If buying a new printer
- find out the cost of the ink carts
- find out how many pages per ink cart : some ink carts are really tiny .
- refilled/aftermarket color carts are often terrible color wise , black refills no problems.

Throw the old printers away. Its mainly plastic, not even worth recycling. Its going to end up at the dump regardless.

wainuitech
02-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Its not just inkjets that have expensive cartridges. I got a really good Lexmark Office laser, does a great job with color as well as Black, BUT you cant buy third party Cartridges here in NZ for it, and the Originals are over $300 each, theres 4 of them. You cant get refills either. They can be brought in for The USA, but by the time they get here its still not that cheap.

Cheaper /easier to buy a whole new Laser :(

dugimodo
02-09-2014, 12:05 PM
I have a Brother multifunction B & W laser and the replacement toner cartridge is worth a significant chunk of the original price by itself and totally uneconomical if you replace the drum which is apparently often required as well. When it eventually runs out I'll see if I can find a cheap alternative and if not I will throw it away and buy a new one. At least with laser the toner doesn't disappear on it's own over a period of time (ink dries up or evaporates)

I also have an epsom inkjet photo printer which I have completely given up on due to the ridiculous price of original ink cartridges and the inconsistant results with cheap cartridges. For any colour prints I want I'll just take them into one of the many shops that offer photo printing services. You get a better print that way anyway.

kahawai chaser
02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
I guess need treat them as disposables. Like spark plus or tyres or something. I mean I have dumped a Lexmark, a Cannon, a Epson, and all in one 1 Hp over the last 10 years or so. Probably do so for a mid priced wireless one I'll be buying soon. At the various times of disposal, too many were more or less dumped cheap on Trademe to sell.

Though cartridges have remained the same size more or less, the volume of ink has reduced dramatically over the last decade from what I have read. Even the large XL of recent seems to contain less than standard of the past. Volumes don't seem to be mentioned on cartridges. Wonder if draft mode still exits? (Used to use it on HP laser at work to save ink)

It's about nudging more people, with higher frequency, to buy more ink, according to this interesting "invisible ink" article from Ayslebury Cartridge World (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/feb/23/printer-ink-cartridges-paying-more-getting-less) (from UK The Guardian)

gary67
02-09-2014, 10:25 PM
I buy generic cartridges for my canon printer from computerfood
com cheap overnight delivery and no hassles in 5 years of using them

03-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Though cartridges have remained the same size more or less, the volume of ink has reduced dramatically over the last decade from what I have read.

I doubt it.
There is a huuuuge difference in ink capacity between the different current models , allways has been.
Some have very small ink carts, some have high capacity ink carts that do actually last a reasonable time.

When the office needed a replacement printer, I bought a used HP LJ5 for $10 on trademe. Its a great printer that will last some time .
The toner cart it came with should last a few years.
Quality printers do last a long time (Ive seen a LJ4 with a 500,000 page count) ,and they do alot of pages per toner cart.

Real Quality costs real money, and thats the issue here .
No point in complaining about a plastic printer that cost $30-$150