PDA

View Full Version : What does Government mean by a financial surplus?

mzee
01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
How can the Government declare a financial surplus when at the same time they are cutting back on expenses and services? It's all accountants bullshit! Balance the books at all costs, even if the country is fast becoming a member of the 3rd world. I can't see any point in selling off state assets, doing so will only balance the books once. After that there are no assets and no money.

I know that with my own finances I am only in surplus when all debts are paid off.

Webdevguy
01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
How can the Government declare a financial surplus when at the same time they are cutting back on expenses and services? It's all accountants bullshit! Balance the books at all costs, even if the country is fast becoming a member of the 3rd world. I can't see any point in selling off state assets, doing so will only balance the books once. After that there are no assets and no money.

I know that with my own finances I am only in surplus when all debts are paid off.

That's how they "balance" the books. Every government attempts to do the same thing. When Labour was in power they did the same thing. No ruling party is any better than the party that was in power before it. Many(but not all) of us hated Helen Clarke with vengance. A lot of big companies do similar things in order to reduce how much tax they have to pay. That is also why good accountants are worth the high salaries ;)

I don't agree with selling off state assets either as it only gives a short term gain with no long term benefits.

If you don't like the way the country is being run then have your say and VOTE for a better alternative. ( Just not sure what that "better" alternative is...)

R2x1
01-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Gov't works differently to reality. Basically, after all the snouts have left the trough, anything left either in or around the trough is surplus and can be thrown to the happy serfs. Never mind keeping the country running, any emergency tactics to rescue the situation with sleight of paper will be run by cronies of the nobility and just classed as running costs. The peanut ration for the peasants can be cut after the election, let them live on gleanings that trickle down. A few more knighthoods for the gentry will see it all sweet again for the new year.

With Gov't finances, anything left after parliamentary salaries, perks and pensions are covered is profit and a percentage of that can be used as rewards to the faithful two hundred the country exists for.
Remember, the majority of the strength in the economy (LOL) came from the Canterbury Earthquake, which shows just how effective the Gov't is if the best boost was a major shakeup. A nuclear blast or three should have us in clover??

The country's in the very best of hands.

BBCmicro
01-09-2014, 06:30 PM
... Many(but not all) of us hated Helen Clarke with vengeance...

I have heard other people say the same thing but they were probably religious nutters. (Anti gay-marriage, that sort of thing).

I can't understand why anybody would hate her as she did more for the poor than anybody else in 30 years

Please enlighten me. What is it that people didn't like about Helen Clarke?

gary67
01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
I have heard other people say the same thing but they were probably religious nutters. (Anti gay-marriage, that sort of thing).

I can't understand why anybody would hate her as she did more for the poor than anybody else in 30 years

Please enlighten me. What is it that people didn't like about Helen Clarke?

They hate her for doing a better job than John Key and being a woman to boot

mzee
01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
David Lange and Helen Clarke put New Zealand on the world map. Prior to them the country was sleeping, over regulated and licking the American arse. The only people who had any money were farmers and big business.

gary67
01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
David Lange and Helen Clarke put New Zealand on the world map. Prior to them the country was sleeping, over regulated and licking the American arse. The only people who had any money were farmers and big business.

An National have take us right back to those early days before Lange and Clarke

WalOne
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
If you don't like the way the country is being run then have your say and VOTE for a better alternative. ( Just not sure what that "better" alternative is...)

But not a positive alternative :D

pcuser42
01-09-2014, 07:37 PM

A party named after a colour and not led by Colin Craig :thumbs:

plod
01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Is it a coincidence that the governments surplus is roughly the same amount the EQC has yet to pay out

prefect
01-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I am not 100% sure National will win the election as a commie coalition may well have numbers. But I think 3 years of watching the commie left tearing itself to bits may well be intertaining, it will wreck the country for years afterwards but the entertainment maybe worth it. After that I would hope people learn their lessons and dont vote the commies back in for a few hundred years.

Krakka
01-09-2014, 10:49 PM

It does sound a bit backward I agree.

That is why it's termed a Financial Surplus.
Meaning, after paying out everything that is required, including debt servicing, there is money left over.
Same as when you have a credit card debt of say $1000 and each month you pay the minimum amount, but you meet budget with maybe some left over to go to the pub with.

We were becoming a 3rd world well before the Nats got back in. Helen's gang saw to that. My opinion is that it is welfare that is killing us kindly. We simply cannot continue to spend billions on welfare and expect to get any better off.