PDA

View Full Version : Icon instead of pic

Cicero
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM
In my pictures I find instead of pics I have icons.

Can't see answer in view?

Thanks lads.

Webdevguy
01-09-2014, 02:44 PM
In my pictures I find instead of pics I have icons.

Can't see answer in view?

Thanks lads.

Usually that means that the images are not in the folder that the img url is pointing to. What website are you referring to Cicero?

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Right-click on some white-space when in the folder --> View --> Medium Icons

:)

Cicero
01-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Right-click on some white-space when in the folder --> View --> Medium Icons

:)
None of the options in that lot change icons to pics.

Cicero
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Usually that means that the images are not in the folder that the img url is pointing to. What website are you referring to Cicero?

Not a web site, talking of my pictures in Win 7

kahawai chaser
01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Look in folder options for icon preferences. Change it.

Cicero
01-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Look in folder options for icon preferences. Change it.
There are no folder options in drop down menu apart from month day etc.

kahawai chaser
01-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Look for Folder options in control panel.

Cicero
02-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Look for Folder options in control panel.That was it KC,it was ticked to show icons instead of thumbnails.

Wonder how that happened.?

Thanks pal, it was irritating to say the least.

kahawai chaser
02-09-2014, 01:36 PM
OK Thanks. Seems odd pref's set to icons. Because if you restore defaults it becomes unchecked if manually checked.

Note: you can also click Organize in the top L/H corner then click Folder and Search options. Click the view tab and see if the "always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked.

Also - Under system properties - Advanced system settings - advanced tab, click on settings under performance -click on the Visual Effects tab, check (or unchecked) the -show thumbnails instead of icons. Click on apply then on OK.

All this is under "Let windows choose what's best for my computer" - Suggesting that changes may have occurred by windows - which may have selected icons at some stage rather than thumbnails for faster speed when opening folders (I think). I guess may occur if folders have increased in the number of image thumbnails. Or if appearance/performance settings are selected.

Cicero
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Note: you can also click Organize in the top L/H corner then click Folder and Search options. Click the view tab and see if the "always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked.

They do like to hide things, if they keep this up I may have to abandon Windows.:<)

Webdevguy
02-09-2014, 03:11 PM
They do like to hide things, if they keep this up I may have to abandon Windows.:<)

Would that be a bad thing?

Cicero
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Would that be a bad thing?

You certainly need to ask the question.

jinja_thom
02-09-2014, 08:31 PM
I seem to remember that some years ago thumbnail view caused windows file explorer to crash trying to resolve the thumbnail for a video file which could not be opened because the required codec was not installed on the system.
If the video file had been saved to the desktop it got into a continual crash cycle as soon as the system loaded and gave no clue as to why.
Microsoft's fix was to set 'icons, never thumbnails' option, they may have a better fix now but if explorer starts to crash unexpectedly when you open a folder, look out for a video file that can't be viewed.

kahawai chaser
02-09-2014, 09:00 PM
I seem to remember that some years ago thumbnail view caused windows file explorer to crash trying to resolve the thumbnail for a video file which could not be opened because the required codec was not installed on the system.
If the video file had been saved to the desktop it got into a continual crash cycle as soon as the system loaded and gave no clue as to why.
Microsoft's fix was to set 'icons, never thumbnails' option, they may have a better fix now but if explorer starts to crash unexpectedly when you open a folder, look out for a video file that can't be viewed.

That's what I got way back when converting/encoding and editing files using freeware. Thumbnails issues/play-ability for non supported or new format. Always remembered the icon to thumbnail preference. But then along came k-lite codec pack and others to resolve playing issues.