PDA

View Full Version : Java for different browsers

Marnie
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I cannot find it in search.
I've been dragged kicking and screaming into pensioning off my XP and have a new Win8 model. I use Firefox, Google Chrome and sometimes IE. Is there a one size fits all Java? In one particular game site, Firefox is fine, but with Chrome I can log into the site but the game won't start. A moderator told me I will need to download Java specifically for Chrome, which I've tried doing but am obviously doing something wrong as the message I get states I already have it installed. There may be a simple answer but I have yet to discover it...along with a few other 'blue word' causing moments.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Theres a 32 and 64 bit version of Java. Thats about the only difference between the versions. Dont think there's a special version just for chrome. So / But, if you're using 64 bit chrome, then you need the 64 bit version of Java

The only other thing it maybe is flash, Windows 8 comes with it (for IE). So unless you mean flash, there is a version for firefox, chrome / other browsers

Webdevguy
01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
XP is looooong over due for replacement. Have you found the version of Java that is on your PC?

PPp
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Marnie are you sure it was Java and not Flash? There are different versions of Flash for different browsers.

Marnie
02-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks for responses, Speedy, Webdevguy and PPp. I still haven't sorted it, outside life got in the way.
My Java is version 7 update 67. I do have Flashplayer and Chrome indicates it has flash included. Also, I don't seem to have any problems with Chrome in other sites that require flash/java. I will need to do some more searching.
I have Win8.1, not Win8 as I first stated and am not sure if that will make a difference.

I did know XP was loooong overdue for replacement. I still haven't forgiven Microsoft for enforcing the issue. :annoyed: I was away for a while and waited until we got home to act.

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Must be the site then if every other site works fine with Java / flash. Nope 8.1 is just an update of 8. It's still Windows 8

dugimodo
02-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Is there a reason to use multiple browsers for the same thing? can't you just use whichever one works.
I only use one browser for everything. It used to be IE which I have no issues with but I decided I quite like some of the addons available for firefox so I switched to that.
Tried chrome and didn't like it so I removed it.

nmercer
02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
java is insecure. are you sure you really need to use it?