PDA

View Full Version : E-Reader Kindle or Nook

learning
01-09-2014, 07:39 AM
I plan on buying either Kindle or Nook primarily for the purposes of reading E copies of IT books if you will.

Is there a recommendation on what I should get. I have never used a E-Book reader.

The E Copies of those IT books are pretty inexpensive then hard copies and is luring me in.
Anyone has experiences with this E Readers with reading "IT " books on it ?

Also the fact I don't have to lug those big chunky "Windows 7 Resource Kit" kinda books is a plus!

Thanks

CliveM
01-09-2014, 08:51 AM
I have not used either of those models but I have used a few tablets for that purpose and they are just fine in my opinion. I guess it comes down to how rough you are, do you need colour and how much do you want to spend.

Neil McC
01-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Still using my early Kobo.No problems with it.

Zippity
01-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Go with the Kindle. More options available.

R2x1
01-09-2014, 10:27 AM
My Kindle is used daily, good selection of raw material at an acceptable price, read it under any lighting I could read a dead tree book by, great battery life, easy to get more books. Very handy for storing and retrieving PDF manuals. All told, just a simple easy to use gadget that always works as I would wish.

Greg
01-09-2014, 07:15 PM
A mate has the Kindle paper white. Looked fantastic

Sherman
01-09-2014, 08:02 PM
What format are the IT books in that you would like to get?

If they are PDF, I personally would forget an e-ink based ereader. Reading most PDF's on a 6 inch screen isn't much fun.

If the books are in an ereader friendly format however (epub, mobi, azw3 etc), they are wonderful devices.

I see you are in the US, so your main options are Kindle or Nook. If you can find anyone who sells them, Kobo make some very nice devices as well (I have the Kobo Glo myself). Kobo has just announced the Aura H2O, which has a high resolution 6.8" screen, frontlight, and is waterproof.

Between Kindle and Nook, as much as it pains me to say it, I would have to choose Kindle. B&N are having troubles, and I don't know what's going to happen to their ereader department.

Not long ago, Sony readers were very nice devices. They have exited the market however, but you still may be able to find some being sold.

Just my 2c

Webdevguy
01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
I plan on buying either Kindle or Nook primarily for the purposes of reading E copies of IT books if you will.

Is there a recommendation on what I should get. I have never used a E-Book reader.

The E Copies of those IT books are pretty inexpensive then hard copies and is luring me in.
Anyone has experiences with this E Readers with reading "IT " books on it ?

Also the fact I don't have to lug those big chunky "Windows 7 Resource Kit" kinda books is a plus!

Thanks
My fiancÚ has a Kindle e reader which seems to do the trick. She also had an iPad mini which can be used as a very good book reader. It has a full colour screen.

learning
02-09-2014, 08:20 AM
What format are the IT books in that you would like to get?

If they are PDF, I personally would forget an e-ink based ereader. Reading most PDF's on a 6 inch screen isn't much fun.

If the books are in an ereader friendly format however (epub, mobi, azw3 etc), they are wonderful devices.

I see you are in the US, so your main options are Kindle or Nook. If you can find anyone who sells them, Kobo make some very nice devices as well (I have the Kobo Glo myself). Kobo has just announced the Aura H2O, which has a high resolution 6.8" screen, frontlight, and is waterproof.

Between Kindle and Nook, as much as it pains me to say it, I would have to choose Kindle. B&N are having troubles, and I don't know what's going to happen to their ereader department.

Not long ago, Sony readers were very nice devices. They have exited the market however, but you still may be able to find some being sold.

Just my 2c

I am not sure if the E-Book for example Amazon sells are in PDF format. I think they are azw3 or something.
Thanks all, for the info. I will perhaps go to a store and try it out as I have never even seen a Kindle in person.

user
02-09-2014, 09:44 AM
One thing to bear in mind is the difficulty in finding a page if you want to quickly refer to it for advice. Kindles are great for reading novels but less so for technical work if you don't necessarily want to read from front to back.

dugimodo
02-09-2014, 12:31 PM
I think the main difference is not in the devices themselves but the services behind them. Amazon for the kindle for example have a huge range of books. I'd search the websites for the books you want to compare availability and price and buy a reader based on that rather than which is the better device as they are all perfectly functional.

I have a basic kindle (cheapest model) and love it for reading books. I've also tried some equipment manuals in PDF format on it and they are ok, text is quite small but legible. Not the best for A4 sized pages with diagrams though. I would recommend one of the better touch based models such as the paper white as the base model I have is awkward to navigate on or use the store with because you have to use an onscreen keyboard and a D-pad.

I also have a 7" nexus tablet and that's not a bad reader either, I prefer the kindle for straight reading but the tablet does other things of course. I find I use my tablet or PC to buy the books from amazon and then download them to the kindle as it's just too much hassle to navigate the store on the kindle. Most books on amazon allow you to download onto up to 5 devices on the same account so I can read the same book on the kindle or my tablet or smartphone and they all keep in sync. Comes in handy, last week I was finishing off a book and the kindle battery went flat. I put it on charge and finished reading the book on my tablet.

Roscoe
02-09-2014, 12:50 PM
If you are thinking of borrowing books from the library, you may want to reconsider buying a Kindle. We were going to buy a Kindle but found out that they are not compatible with the programmes that the library uses whereas the Kobo is compatible. It would be advisable to check with your library as borrowing books cost nothing. Cheaper than buying and the libraries have a large selection of e books these days.

R2x1
02-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Much the same way you should insist on a car having a bench above the windscreen to enable the coachman to properly control the horses when using grass power instead of fossil fuel power . . .
For many books, the price from Amazon is less than the bus fare to and from a library. So far I have never encountered school parties of screaming ankle biters, nor have I been bothered by weather while getting Kindle books. The opening hours are always convenient, the list of choices is several million titles larger too ;)

Roscoe
02-09-2014, 05:10 PM
But if you are borrowing books from the library, there is no need to go to the library. Simply access the library website and download the books of your choice. And the opening hours at the virtual library are also very convenient. Simple really.

Richard
02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Why do libraries not cater for Kindle users? Is it because Amazon won't license the format?

Roscoe
02-09-2014, 06:24 PM
It is because the programme that they use for accessing and downloading books - I think it's called Overdrive - is not compatible with Kindle. I'm talking about Auckland City Libraries. Other libraries may use the same software so it is worth checking if you want to borrow books.

While Kindle is a good name and has a great reputation, it is not the only make out there. We were advised to use Kobo which is compatible and works very well. We are very pleased.

So think about whether or not you want to borrow from the library. If so, check with your library to make certain your e book can work with the library's software.

gary67
02-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I think all libraries are using overdrive, I know Nelson, Tasman and Christchurch are

kenj
02-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Napier as well. I use a Sony. Found it excellent

Ken

R2x1
02-09-2014, 08:08 PM
The very best possible brand is the one you have. All the others have the controls too hard to reach ;)

Morgenmuffel
08-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Overdrive is compatible with kindle but only in the US, it wasn't for a while because of licensing,
however it is still not compatible in NZ (small market) last I heard.

I have a kobo mini, and its good for novels in the epub and txt format but obviously crap for PDFs.

If you are wanting to read IT books do you need colour? as code tends to be easier to read when the syntax is coloured, reading screeds of code in black and white can be a pain