PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ice

Greg
27-08-2014, 07:26 AM
This morning I have a hangover. Haven't felt like this in years. Suspect it's got something to do with the bad ice I put into the 3/4's of a bottle of scotch whiskey which I vaguely recollect consumming last night. Vaguely? The remaining 1/4 tells me so, Greg you fibber!

Now why I wonder, should a simple blend of good Scottish whiskeys make me feel so foul this morning? I mean really, whiskey is a somewhat pure liquor - it's made up of distilled grain wash, water which is filtered through peat and charcoal, and clarified and aged to become a rather sublime means of becoming intoxicated.

Aha! It's gotta be the ice!

Never put local ice in your drinks kids. Ice can be BAD for you.

Now I'm not talking about ice made from Auckland, where the wherewithalls are made from part mud, part cow poop, part pesticides, part insecticides, part other as-yet-unnamed fungal detritis, part pseudo water; ie that liquid what comes from the Waikato river. No. I'm talking about ice from.... Napier!

Now herein lies the problem - Napier's water is fantastic. I don't even think that the authorities chlorinate it. So perhaps the ice I bought yesterday was imported? I did check for a use-before date, but none was perceptible. Admittedly I didn't research for a star grading, nor for a country of export. So I guess I have myself to blame. For all I know, the water used to make this ice could've come from Byrnyekivrstan. Nuclear fallout guaranteed.

Aha - a guarantee!

*groans*

Well, to cut this liturgy short, I recommend... lets call for an ice grading system

* It'll ensure quality of ingredients
* It'll ensure standards of production
* It'll ensure notice of source

Heck, it could even ensure quality of presentation!

Let's all vote for the Ice Grading party!

gary67
27-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Surely you know that Whisky is meant to be taken with a little water and not ice, there in lies the problem the Whisky is repaying you for being so unkind to it.

dugimodo
27-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Ironically the cure involves consuming more ice (in it's liquid form) and time. Perhaps you got the ratio wrong last night and have to correct it now.

R2x1
27-08-2014, 08:58 AM
More whisky is a frequently applied treatment.

However, thee affliction is more likely to be caused by sleep than by contaminated ice. You were probably very content and cheerful, then you slept, and blooie! Cranial discombobulations. Your sleep genes find themselves redundant due to the whisky aided sleep, and idle genes find mischief as evidenced by the battered condition of your hat support. QED

pcuser42
27-08-2014, 11:00 AM
And people wonder why I don't drink :D

Greg
27-08-2014, 11:16 AM
And people wonder why I don't drink :D'cos you're too young?

How can you ever experience the pleasure without first enduring the pain!?

*sigh* The youth of today :(

kenj
27-08-2014, 11:27 AM
We both live in Napier Greg, so here is an offer you can't refuse..... Drop a bottle of your best scotch round to me and I will check it out using my ice from my freezer. That will enable me to give you a totally unbiased opinion.

Ken :)

Greg
27-08-2014, 11:32 AM
My bad - I just realised I used the cursed American spelling of the word whisky instead of the English.

I hope some nubile, sweet, petite, single and gorgeous woman without a second brain cell spanks me for my mistake.

Sorry Are Two Ex One (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?8491-R2x1) - that excludes you.

Greg
27-08-2014, 11:35 AM
We both live in Napier Greg, so here is an offer you can't refuse..... Drop a bottle of your best scotch round to me and I will check it out using my ice from my freezer. That will enable me to give you a totally unbiased opinion.

Ken :)Ken -you're not a codger as per your title - you're a bloody dodger!!!! lololol

Nice try.

However as an afterthought we could give it a go, 'cept I won't be doing scotch again for a while. Gin maybe or tequilla. But not scotch in a hurry. :)

pcuser42
27-08-2014, 11:54 AM
'cos you're too young?

I'm 21... :p

How can you ever experience the pleasure without first enduring the pain!?

Other people endure the pain, I learn from other people's mistakes :p

Agent_24
27-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Other people endure the pain, I learn from other people's mistakes :p

I do the same, just like the way I let other people use Windows 8 ;)

pcuser42
27-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I do the same, just like the way I let other people use Windows 8 ;) It's why I let others use OS X and Linux ;)

plod
27-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm 21... :pOther people endure the pain, I learn from other people's mistakes :psome people are capable of having a drink with out goong overboard and suffering the next day.

BBCmicro
27-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Hmm... I recall some advice from my younger days:

"There are two things bad for a person - eating and sleeping. If you eat you can't drink and if you sleep you wake up with a hangover"

pcuser42
27-08-2014, 07:36 PM
some people are capable of having a drink with out goong overboard and suffering the next day. I know, I just find it more entertaining watching other drunk people :p

plod
27-08-2014, 08:03 PM
I know, I just find it more entertaining watching other drunk people :p
I can't think of anything worse then being sober around drunk people.

gary67
27-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I like a drink I never let myself get drunk and I hate being around drunk people. It's not hard to do just takes will power

KarameaDave
27-08-2014, 10:37 PM
I drove taxis on night shift in Chch in the 1980s, the whole freaking 80's.
Needless to say I am well over drunks, if only they could all hold their alcohol like me ;)

(I wouldn't be a taxi driver for any money now)

R2x1
27-08-2014, 10:55 PM
I have plenty of will power, but I refuse to be a slave to it. ;)