PDA

View Full Version : Eudora client and Win 7 and 8

Robin S_
23-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Does this client work with the new OSs? If not, does anyone know the last one it works with?

TIA

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Install it, you'll find out. Altho since it no longer gets updated, I wouldn't use it

Robin S_
23-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes I know that, but it is a consideration in whether or not to upgrade to 7 or 8.

paulw
24-08-2014, 09:38 AM
I have Eudora 7 working in Win 7 32 bit OK. 64 bit may put some of the user directories in places that Eudora and Windows can't find.. I just copied the Eudora directory from the old PC to the C:\ of the new on and called it "Eudora" and then reinstalled it back into that directory..

Robin S_
24-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks Paul. That is what I would have tried, but it's good to know that it should work.

FoxyMX
24-08-2014, 11:19 PM
I am using Eudora 7.1.0.9 on all of my computers which run Windows 8.1, 7 and XP. No problems with any other than one or two Eudora's usual quirks. Prior to installing I always create the user directory folder in a location of my choice, copy the contents of the folder from my other PC to there then direct Eudora to use that folder upon installing.

Robin S_
24-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks Foxy. That is the way I have successfully done it in the past with other Windows upgrades. In view of Paul's comment above I am interested in knowing if this method works for 64-bit Win 8.

25-08-2014, 09:37 AM
OK, which version of Eudora?
The original or the later version that was based on thunderbird.

Either will work on Win7 (I used to use it)

But Eudora is very much dead now, there has been no development for many years. Even the newer version based on Thunderbird didnt get
far & was abandoned by the developers.

So get something newer, you may find it has very real issues with some html email in Win7 . I had to stop using it for that reason.

Robin S_
26-08-2014, 12:21 AM
OK, which version of Eudora?

Either will work on Win7 (I used to use it)

The last version - 7.1.0.9

Did you use it with 64-bit versions of 7 or 8?

26-08-2014, 10:18 AM
The last version - 7.1.0.9

Did you use it with 64-bit versions of 7 or 8?

I'm pretty sure I had in running on 64bit Windows.I'll check tonight.
You may not even have to install it, you can probably just copy the whole directory across to the new PC (Im sure thats what I did)

But honestly, cut your losses now. Things will only get worse with in-compatibilities as time goes on. You will also find it near impossible
to import its email into another email client in the future.
You WILL end up having occasional emails that wont display & cant be read (as I did)

I still have it on my PC, only to read old email . I use thunderbird for all new email instead.

This is actually the last version
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE
:thumbs:

Robin S_
26-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks 1101 - very interesting and helpful. My wife is not very computerphilic and currently uses Eudora 7.1.0.9. I am looking into replacing her old laptop and all new ones come with Win 7 or 8, hence my interest in transferring Eudora to one of those OSs. I was aware that there was a project starting to create an open source version but had not seen where that had gone. Were you using "the newer version based on Thunderbird" (presumably Eudora OSE) in 7 and 8, or the older 'last version'? How do you find Thunderbird? I have seen on various forums that numerous Eudora users tried Tb and were dissatisfied with it and gave up on it.
As for not being able to open some HTML emails in Eudora, she uses 2 web-based email services (picked up via Eudora client) so presumably she could open the difficult ones via the services' web pages - not an ideal situation but at least a workaround.
I would be interested to know if it was indeed the 64-bit OSs that you were using as many new laptops come with that.

FoxyMX
26-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks Foxy. That is the way I have successfully done it in the past with other Windows upgrades. In view of Paul's comment above I am interested in knowing if this method works for 64-bit Win 8.

Yes, my version of Win 8.1 is 64-bit. My Windows 7 is 32-bit. As 1101 mentioned some HTML messages do not display correctly - usually those "joke" emails that do the rounds - and I cannot reply to HTML emails in HTML format but these issues are a minor nuisance to me. I keep mail on the server for a few days and just view the non-displaying messages in webmail if I need to.

I don't care that Eudora is old and dead. I have tried other email clients but really start missing the wee tricks that Eudora can do and have to go back to it within a day or so.

apsattv
27-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Hmm still on Eudora version 7.0.1.0 on XP but planning a move to a new PC with Windows 7. Following this thread with interest.

Robin S_
27-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Yes, my version of Win 8.1 is 64-bit. My Windows 7 is 32-bit. As 1101 mentioned some HTML messages do not display correctly - usually those "joke" emails that do the rounds - and I cannot reply to HTML emails in HTML format but these issues are a minor nuisance to me. I keep mail on the server for a few days and just view the non-displaying messages in webmail if I need to.

Thanks again Foxy - just what I was hoping for.

I don't care that Eudora is old and dead. I have tried other email clients but really start missing the wee tricks that Eudora can do and have to go back to it within a day or so.

Views that I have seen numerous others express. It's a neat client and does all that we want.

Apsattv - you're welcome. Join the Eudora club.