PDA

View Full Version : Printer won't print

Greg
22-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Printer is an approx 8 month old HP Deskjet 1050 All-In-One, connected to my Win 8.1 lappie.

I've barely used this printer, and although I haven't used it for several months, suddenly when I want to print a doc it won't print. The machine feeds the paper and the heads run rapidly from side to side, no no ink whatsoever is printed, ie it spits ot the page completely blank.

Tried the help files on the installation disk, and searched HP's help online, but all the queries I searched for returned no result for my searches.

Any ideas please?

gary67
22-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Dried up print heads?

Terry Porritt
22-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Inkjets need to be used, or, if you are not actually printing, then periodic head cleaning is required with a test page.

The Brother I bought last year is left on 'standby' and it periodically carries out some automatic self maintenance, so even if I haven't used it in a while it always prints ok.

KarameaDave
22-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Tried new cartridges?

Krakka
22-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I'd agree with Gary.
You need to print at least 1 page every week to keep the heads from drying up. Even then you might get lines missed when you print.

Greg
22-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the comments. But it ain't dried heads - if it were the cartridges wouldn't cross the page and eject in 5 seconds - a page of print normally took close to a minute.

wainuitech
22-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Try a test page only from the printer Properties, if its still not working, Have a look at the head cleaning options, run the cleaners. A High % of printing faults as described are exactly as its been mentioned before.

Sometimes the drivers may also be damaged, so run the head cleaners, and if that doesn't work, you can remove all HP Printer drivers, reinstall new ones, or load the printer onto another Computer.
If it prints OK from another PC, then its the laptop, if not its the printer. You NEED to find out which is at fault.

Was at a place today, the Epson printer wouldn't print, the lady insisted the black was only 3 days old and done two prints so it has to be OK ( a CartridgeWorld refill heap of crap :yuck: ) -- in the end I found the old cartridge in the rubbish bin, put it back and what-da know the printer worked. ;)

KarameaDave
22-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Was at a place today, the Epson printer wouldn't print, the lady insisted the black was only 3 days old and done two prints so it has to be OK ( a CartridgeWorld refill heap of crap :yuck: ) -- in the end I found the old cartridge in the rubbish bin, put it back and what-da know the printer worked. ;)

The look on their faces when something like this happens is often a classic.

Moral: Take nothing at face value when troubleshooting.

The ones I looooove are those that have a mate or neighbour who's 'Right up there in IT'

So why the hell ring me then?

Or you fix the thing in less than a hour and they say 'I could have done that!'

So why didn't you then?

Luckily there aren't many of those here, not many of anyone.

But they were thick on the ground back in Chch.

wainuitech
22-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Moral: Take nothing at face value when troubleshooting.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah :D To many people also try to look for items /problems being complicated, the basic's often are a good place to start.

Don't know how many times I've been heading to jobs thinking ahead thinking it may be a long job, get there and its completely different and fixed quickly.

linw
23-08-2014, 12:29 PM
snip
Don't know how many times I've been heading to jobs thinking ahead thinking it may be a long job, get there and its completely different and fixed quickly.

And, then, there is the opposite!!!!! Too many of those.

wainuitech
23-08-2014, 02:28 PM
And, then, there is the opposite!!!!! Too many of those.And -- While you're here --------------;)

KarameaDave
23-08-2014, 02:30 PM
You couldn't just.....

Robin S_
23-08-2014, 02:47 PM
You couldn't just.....

... fix the washing machine while you're here, could you? It just keeps ...

Agent_24
24-08-2014, 10:20 PM
... beeping at me and I can't get the hubcap off

gary67
25-08-2014, 07:37 AM
...to fill it with gravel to strain the dirt from the water

linw
25-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Keep 'em coming:)

Funny how people laugh at nerds but, boy, are they (we) needed!

25-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Sometimes with HP's, a cartridge fault can cause strange issues with the printer , as the printhead is in the cartridge.
The only things you can do are

- try a test print from the printer itself, either a status page or try doing a "copy" without the PC (ie copy a page via the scanner)
- replace ink carts: ALL OF THEM. Dont assume they are OK. This will cost $$, being an HP .
- option 3 : get a warranty repair. take it back. Make sure it only has genuine HP inks(no refills) or they may may not honor your warranty.

dugimodo
25-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Try Wainui & 1101's suggestions, especially try printing from another PC first so you know you are not chasing your tail. I don't print often and constantly had issues with my inkjet because of that. I'd put a brand new set of cartridges in, do a few test pages, print whatever I needed. Then a few months later when I went to print something it wouldn't work or would come out in stripes missing one or more colours. Finally I just abandoned it and got a cheap B&W laser.

...to fill it with gravel to strain the dirt from the water
...So I've had to use an old shirt and a broom handle but it keeps getting stuck and I think it's interfering with my modem

KarameaDave
25-08-2014, 03:01 PM
...So I've had to use an old shirt and a broom handle but it keeps getting stuck and I think it's interfering with my modem
but the problem is intermittent, so maybe the goldfish is blocking signals now and then