PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 and Skype

advena
22-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Have recently had to move to Windows 8.1 andthere's lots to dislike about it. My main hassle right now is with the Skype programme (app?). Its horrible and cumbersome. Among other things I cannot seem to minimise it while in use or go to voice only - although I'll continue to try to find ways..

Am wondering if its possible to delete the Skype that came with the machine (HP Pavilion) and just reload the bog standard edition. Has anyone tried that? And what was the result? Or does the standard download become the Windows 8 monster again?

Any advice appreciated please.

pcuser42
22-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Am wondering if its possible to delete the Skype that came with the machine (HP Pavilion) and just reload the bog standard edition. Has anyone tried that? And what was the result?

Yep, just uninstall the app and install the desktop version from the Skype website. I've got the app on my tablet and the desktop version on my - well, desktop - Windows 8.1 on both.

wainuitech
22-08-2014, 08:24 PM
On the APP, ( or any other Full screen App) you should be able to move the mouse to the top, and the - & X buttons appear. This came out in the updates.

dugimodo
22-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I didn't like the app either and just use the desktop version. There is nothing stopping you using any desktop software with windows 8.1, the new apps are entirely optional. I changed all my default associations to the desktop software almost immediately when I started using windows 8, now since one of the patches that's the default behaviour for a desktop PC anyway.

I quite like windows 8 and don't really have a problem with the new apps (it's not like anyone is forcing me to use them). I imagine they are probably more useful in a tablet environment. To me it's good to have options, you can stay entirely in the desktop environment and ignore all the new apps or you can use them if you want to. One lingering dislike for me is the charms bar and they are removing that in windows 9.

advena
24-08-2014, 08:55 PM
pcuser - Thanks for your advice. It gave me confidence to go ahead and I'm very happy with the 'tried and true' result.