PDA

View Full Version : What is the relative cost structure for faster internet connections?

Billy T
22-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi Team

I am stuck in a near-city suburb (Birkenhead) and close to our local exchange, but can only get basic dsl speed, and there is no indication of when or if this will change.

An ADSL-2 modem turns out the same speed as the plain vanilla version, and in my area, fibre is something you take to keep your bowel habits regular.

On the Telecom 'service' map we are surrounded on all sides by coloured swathes indicating happy people dowloading movies etc in the blink of an eye etc, and to add insult to injury, the map says we have ADSL2 , but Telecom says No, and I have recently confirmed that with the free ADSL-2 modem they kindly supplied to go with their non-existent -2 service, as it just potters along at a leisurely pace like it hasn't a worry in the world.

What niggles me most though, is the thought that once faster internet does arrive in this forgotten backwater, their charges will rise commensurate with the increased speed. In fact, since I do not scrutinise our Telecom accounts myself, I wonder if we are already paying for a non-existent service upgrade to ADSL-2!

At this stage, I'm thinking that if we are, there is zero advantage in continuing to pay for that upgrade, because all it meant was a price rise and no increase in speed.

Rant over...

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :2cents:

22-08-2014, 04:58 PM
My internet connection speed is approx 5Mbs (not fast)
My best download speed ever was 900kbs ( a rarity at that)

So , just because the lucky few have super fast fibre, does not allways mean they will get super fast internet
Its only as fast as the slowest link.

ADSL or ADSL2, the price is exactly the same.

dugimodo
22-08-2014, 05:07 PM
I didn't think ADSL2+ cost any more than ADSL, in fact I don't think there is any offerings other than the same standard plans for those two connection types - spark doesn't even distinguish between the two on their website http://www.spark.co.nz/shop/internet/ VDSL does cost $10 more a month but that's not much compared to the overall price.

I'm surprised it's not at least ADSL2 capable though. If your connection speed (not download speed from speedtest) is over 8Mbps it's got to be ADSL2/2+ as ADSL capped at 8Mbps. In my street I went from 2Mbps to 8Mbps when the local cabinet was upgraded about 3-4 years ago, 8-16Mbps when I upgraded my modem to ADSL2+, and 16-24 Mbps when I upgraded to VDSL about 6 months ago. feels like it's been continuously improving since I've lived here :)

You pay for the cap more than the speed these days, if your connection is faster you can just potentially use up your cap sooner.
Sounds like you are connected to one of the cabinets or exchanges that are still running the older broadband equipment, if demand is enough to make it worthwhile they'll get to it eventually.

Most of the spark network is made up of fibre fed cabinets and most of those are ADSL2+ / VDSL2 capable. For various reasons though there are still locations where there is no fibre available to the cabinet and/or the installed equipment doesn't support the newer standards due to being previous generation equipment. One can only hope they plan to rectify that at some stage.

inphinity
22-08-2014, 05:08 PM
As 1101 has pointed out, ADSL services are priced the same, whether they are ADSL1 or ADSL2+, but if you were to be able to and chose to upgrade to VDSL, the price would increase slightly. Fibre, again, would be a price increase.

Out of curiosity, what sync speed do you get, and sync mode (most modems will have a 'status' type page that gives you this stuff, hopefully this is the case with yours)? It may be that you are getting degraded performance if your internal wiring is not the best, and/or no master filter is installed. There would be cost involved in addressing this if it were the case, but it may improve your speeds.

I would be quite surprised if you're on ADSL and not ADSL2+, as almost the entirety of the Birkenhead/Birkdale area falls within ADSL2+ coverage.

coldot
22-08-2014, 06:18 PM
UFB seems to be installed only along main roads and close to major business activity, MPs, city councillors etc. The trumpeting about "majority of city homes that can access UFB" just doesn't add up when you look at those Chorus maps. Many of us who thought we lived in a city face the prospect of UFB sometime after 2015 or thereabouts, maybe, given fine weather and the right wind direction. There are no definite plans available for us to view.

Billy T
22-08-2014, 09:44 PM
It may be that you are getting degraded performance if your internal wiring is not the best, and/or no master filter is installed. There would be cost involved in addressing this if it were the case, but it may improve your speeds.

I have a Telecom-installed splitter/filter at the point of entry, and from that connection onwards, all internet is on dedicated Cat5E cable and all the right hardware, so I am getting the best signal quality possible out of Telecom's feed.

A few weeks back Telecom responded to my complaint about slow speeds and advised that neither fibre nor ADSL2 were available at my location. It goes without saying that anything faster is also out of the question!

Never mind UFB, I have USB (Ultra-Slow Broadband).

Bit of a bummer really, but most of the time my line speed is adequate for normal purposes, it only bugs me when I need to do a larger than normal download.

Average of three different speed tests: Download 4.6Mbps Upload 0.74 Mbps

It is always around those figures, so at least it is consistent, and it was exactly the same on an ADSL-2 modem

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2014, 10:03 PM
You must be in the sticks then if you cant get ADSL2. A mate of mine lives in Birkenhead, and I'm pretty sure he's on it, and he's going through TC

I can get ADSL 2 here in Taupo but AFAIK I cant get fibre or UFB yet. But there is a cabinet around the corner (there were laying cables about a year or 2 years ago now inside green tubing), not long after I moved down here. But ADSL2 is fast enough for me (for most things).

KarameaDave
22-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Well I am 500m from our exchange.
Remote we are, all traffic from here goes through a microwave link to Westport.
In the day I can get up to 5Mb/s.
From 3pm the situation changes and sometimes it's painful.

Rumour has it that a mystical fibre will travel over the bluff and save us all.

I'll believe it when I see the results.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2014, 03:03 AM
A few weeks back Telecom responded to my complaint about slow speeds and advised that neither fibre nor ADSL2 were available at my location. It goes without saying that anything faster is also out of the question!
Average of three different speed tests: Download 4.6Mbps Upload 0.74 Mbps

I believe they mean "Fibre or VDSL2". If they're talking about ADSL, they'll either call it "ADSL" or "ADSL2+". Knowing roughly where you live, you're on ADSL2+ :)
There is no cost difference between ADSL / ADSL2+.

Peter Coleman
23-08-2014, 08:57 PM
You may be talking at cross purposes here.ADSL,ADSL2 and VDSL are all to do with connection speeds,not download speeds.What are the connection speeds shown in your router.You need to get into the settings of the modem and find the downstream and upstream rates and that may possibly tell you if you are on adsl2.How far are you from the exchange,the Birkenhead exchange is in the middle of the shops on Mokoia Rd.

b....
24-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Billy, we are in suburban Chch on ADSL2+ with Spark and get the same speeds as you.
Fibre is at the gate but I haven't been able to convince the other half that we NEED fibre yet. She reckons that we pay enough already.

linw
24-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Has 'she' looked at plan charges? Fibre is about the same for most suppliers. What do you pay/mth now?

b....
24-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Currently pay $99 (80GB=$85, National toll calls=$14).
Fibre would be $95 for 80GB without toll calls.

I know we could possibly go to VOIP with Snap, but would prefer to stay with Spark.

Have to wait until Spark lifts their data cap, or we cut down on our toll calls.

inphinity
24-08-2014, 08:57 PM
The $10/month difference is like, 2 coffees a month or something...

gary67
24-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Currently pay $99 (80GB=$85, National toll calls=$14).
Fibre would be $95 for 80GB without toll calls.

I know we could possibly go to VOIP with Snap, but would prefer to stay with Spark.

Have to wait until Spark lifts their data cap, or we cut down on our toll calls.

Jeepers I'm in Halswell using Snap fibre and we pay $75 for 100Gb free national calling not that we actually ever make any national calls, the service is totally stable have had no down time in a year, installation was free. I wouldn't go to Spark (Telecom) if you paid me.