PDA

View Full Version : Danger of having too many wireless keyboards and mice in one room ??

Misty
19-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Greetings
At our local Seniornet we are contemplating buying multiple wireless keyboards and mice as an improvement over our current wired units. We currently have seven PC's in one room and eight in another. One danger we are aware may exist is that some of the frequency of the waves from the USB connections operating wireless keyboards and mice may interfere with each other ? Once upon a time, this did certainly occur in some businesses. How much of a risk is this nowadays please ?
Many thanks in anticipation
Jim

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Dont think it'll hurt. We've got quite a few wireless things here. The Xbox was wireless 2.4 along with 3 wireless keyboards and mouse. (Which we're using at the mo), And a wireless printer. And 3 wireless USB adapters for wifi.

Didnt notice any interference.

Altho since I've got a dual band modem now, I'll be getting 3 dual band USB adapters. And I'll be using the 5ghz wireless instead of 2.4

The Xbox (was 2.4), but I decided to put the Xbox Wireless N adapter on it (which is dual band). Which is currently connected at 5 ghz

Alex B
19-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Should be OK long as you buy half decent gear. Logitech etc.

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Should be OK long as you buy half decent gear. Logitech etc.

^^ this. I ran into issues with some cheaper junk back in the day. Logitech is nice.
One more thing to consider is that if it's on the 2.4Ghz range it'll interfere with WiFi.

For this reason, I'd personally suggest going with Bluetooth :)

Misty
19-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks Speedy, Alex, Chill - Logitech is rather expensive - would need to talk with the Committee further if that brand is considered further. Had noticed Dick Smith's " Microsoft Desktop 800 USB" - will check whether it is Bluetooth. Dick Smith staff are frequently not very knowledgeable about the product so am taking that into account. The five reviews that customers on site have made are very good. I have a Microsoft mouse at home and it is great for my purposes. Dick Smith website says that you get up to 8 months use from batteries.

Alex B
19-08-2014, 12:44 PM
If it was me, i'd personally avoid Wireless Desktops. They are great at home, but just another thing to manage with batteries etc in a setup like you have. Unless it's a real issue, keep it simple.

19-08-2014, 12:46 PM
One more thing to consider is that if it's on the 2.4Ghz range it'll interfere with WiFi.
For this reason, I'd personally suggest going with Bluetooth :)

BT is also on 2.4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz#Bluetooth
:)

Something else to consider is battery life.
You want something that doesnt chew through batts.
And allways , keep some spare batts on hand , for both the keyboard & mouse (they arnt allways the same batts )

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm using 2 MS wireless keyboard 800 combos here. Never had probs with them. The new build is using a Logitech K400r with touchpad. Saves me using a mouse. But it can be a bit niggly at times

Or to save on batteries buy one of the Logitech solar keyboards. Altho, (theyre not cheap), and I dont think they come with a mouse. I maybe wrong tho

Speaking of batteries, think I may change to Eneloop, these energizer's are starting to loose their charge I think. And dont last long

BBCmicro
19-08-2014, 06:58 PM
A switch on the device might be useful. Not only to save battery life but to re-set the software

My Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 5000 works great has good range and batteries last well. Has a switch on the back which I always use but it is not needed for re-set purposes

My Rapoo Bluetooth mouse also has a switch on the back. Battery life/range is excellent but I have to re-set it every second day or so because I lose the pointer display. (This might be because I am not using the included dongle. I pair the mouse with the native Wifi/BT antenna that came with my MB)

CYaBro
19-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Stick with Logitech or Microsoft.
I've got a Microsoft Wireless 5000 desktop that I've had for over a year.
Replaced the batteries in the mouse 3 times I think and never had to replace the keyboard batteries yet.
There are no switches on either of these though so I can't turn them off when not in use.

I've sold an accounting office Logitech wireless desktops and they have a couple of rooms where there are at least 10 machines within 10-20 metres of each other and they have no issues with them interfering with each other.

Chilling_Silence
20-08-2014, 01:01 AM
BT is also on 2.4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz#Bluetooth
:)

Oh snap, what the hell was I drinking earlier, you're right!

Misty
10-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Yesterday I had a talk with a staff member at Warehouse Stationery. I was looking at the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo (damn, didn't record which model !). Anyway, he said that this model is not bluetooth and thought there could be issues between bluetooth and Wi-fi (which we have). He believed that because all the Logitech combos work on the same frequency that they have individual identifiers. Having these is to prevent cross-talk, in the same way that identifiers are used to prevent cross-talk between different Wi-fi systems working in close proximity. Sounds logical to me, but then although I can understand the concept I don't know the mechanics ! (electronics)

Agent_24
10-09-2014, 02:09 PM
If it was me, i'd personally avoid Wireless Desktops. They are great at home, but just another thing to manage with batteries etc in a setup like you have. Unless it's a real issue, keep it simple.

I don't even use them at home either. Don't need to and it just adds fuss. Plus if you lose the transceiver the whole keyboard etc becomes useless. I have one wireless mouse that I use very rarely (when I connect a PC to the TV) and that's it.