PDA

View Full Version : Spark/Telecom email setting changes

Billy T
18-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi Team

I'm having a hell of a job finding details of the changes Telecom requires.

The last change they made caused me untold grief, and my business account was out for days. In an attempt to avoid the same debacle, I have searched Spark's website until my eyes glazed over but without success, so I think I am missing some important information

I have a bog-standard Xtra account for my personal email, and my business domain-name email is hosted by Orcon.

All mail is pre-screened by Mailwasher and I guess that will just use the same incoming for each account to access my mail for screening purposes.

Last night I finally found some settings, which might be applicable, or thay may be specific to some other users :(

These were as follows:

POP3 Email settings with SSL
Incoming Mail Server: pop3.xtra.co.nz
SSL/Port 995

Outgoing Mail Server: send@xtra.co.nz
SSL/Port 465
Outgoing server requires authentication

Domain/Officemail settings:

Incoming Mail Server: pop3.officemail.co.nz
SSL/Port 995

Outgoing Mail: smtp.officemail.co.nz
SSL/Port465
Outgoing server requires authentication

I was under the impression that I only needed to change the outgoing server name for my Orcon Hosted business account, which apparently is still joined at the hip to Xtra anyway, or so it seemed in something I read late last night, and I long ago changed my personal outgoing email to send@xtra.co.nz

I guess that the main issue is the hosted business account, so if anybody has a link to the correct Telecom page I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused::confused::confused:

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Ring them

18-08-2014, 02:40 PM
"and my business domain-name email is hosted by Orcon."

Not as confused as me trying to guess what you're up to ??
:)

Why not send the Orcon email through Orcon's smtp ?
Is it hosted exchange with Orcon , or just a standard domain email ?

On the Orcon a/c, why are you trying to send via Telecom/xtra ??
Telecom domain/hosted settings will have nothing to do with Orcon .
You wont be able to send via telecom hosted unless you have a hosted/domain email a/c with Telecom
You can send via your xtra email a/c, but you need to add in the 'orcon' email adress via yahoo webmail (someone will post up instructions on doing that)

But why send hosted email via xtra. Possibly the most unreliable choice .

wratterus
18-08-2014, 02:51 PM
All the Telecom info is readily available on Telecom's website, and hasn't changed for about 2 years now...I'm not sure why you're having any issues there. Telecom have been having a terrible time with email recently though so possibly if you're having intermittent issues sending or receiving from within your mail client, that may be what it is.

As for your 'business' email, if you are having any issues with it (you shouldn't be if the settings you posted are right) then just contact Orcon (Or whoever hosts it). As long as they have their own SMTP server that's not running on port 25 you'll be totally fine. It's hard to tell, but I think you're over complicating it rather a lot.

pctek
18-08-2014, 03:28 PM
"and my business domain-name email is hosted by Orcon."

Why not send the Orcon email through Orcon's smtp ?

Exactly. Using port 587 to stop relaying errors.

jontee
18-08-2014, 04:12 PM
is this what you want ??

http://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet/smtpupdate/

Billy T
18-08-2014, 05:11 PM
I gave up the fight with Telecom and tried ORCON (who host my domain name etc) and their help line was answered on the third ring, just when I was settling in for a long wait.

A few minutes later I had everything I needed to know including settings.

I'm not overly critical of Telecom, but I hope that Spark will light a fire under some of their labyrinth explanations. :badpc:

There were just four simple steps to carry out, but the key information that they had failed to supply was that I needed to switch my domain-name emails to ORCON. Previously they were routed to Xtra, prossibly as a ploy to
retain a customer. I was always going to have two separate mail services anyway in case one went up in flames, and I still do have two, but the traffic balance has shifted.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they kept me on mission!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

18-08-2014, 05:49 PM
xtra email aint Telecom/Spark . Completely different entities . Just sayin.....
Not that it maters now
:)

Billy T
18-08-2014, 06:05 PM
xtra email aint Telecom/Spark . Completely different entities . Just sayin.....
Not that it maters now :)

Well I never!

I didn't know that!

AFAIK they were Telecom when they started out and I wasn't aware that they had flown the coop! They were attempting to answer my queries and I'm pretty sure that Xtra charges show on our phone bill, but then Mrs T looks after all of that.

I shall have to find out 'who is up whom, and who hasn't paid' because I have both ORCON and Xtra web addresses and email accounts.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

linw
18-08-2014, 10:17 PM
One other big problem you would have had is using send@xtra.co.nz as you have it above. Might have worked better with send.xtra.co.nz

19-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Well I never!

I didn't know that!

all @xtra.co.nz are actually yahoo aus. have been for years & before that they were hotmail. Telecom gave away(sold?) all the @xtra.co.nz email a/c's
Thats why the xtra.co.nz emails are so damn unreliable & insecure....Telecom has zero control over what Yahoo Aus does at their end.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11185297

So yahoo will scan all your extra emails , so it can give you ads if you use webmail . You can bet its storing alot of info about you its scimmed from your emails.
http://www.abine.com/blog/2013/yahoo-email-privacy-after-new-tos-update/
"Yahoo has automated systems that look at the words you type, the files you attach, the people you contact, your location, and more. "

inphinity
19-08-2014, 10:56 AM
I gave up the fight with Telecom and tried ORCON (who host my domain name etc) and their help line was answered on the third ring, just when I was settling in for a long wait.

A few minutes later I had everything I needed to know including settings.

I'm not overly critical of Telecom, but I hope that Spark will light a fire under some of their labyrinth explanations. :badpc:

There were just four simple steps to carry out, but the key information that they had failed to supply was that I needed to switch my domain-name emails to ORCON. Previously they were routed to Xtra, prossibly as a ploy to
retain a customer. I was always going to have two separate mail services anyway in case one went up in flames, and I still do have two, but the traffic balance has shifted.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they kept me on mission!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

To be honest, it sounds like none of this is Spark's fault. They are not responsible for advising you or assisting with how to set up a service that another provider (Orcon) is giving you.

Alex B
19-08-2014, 12:03 PM
+1

kahawai chaser
19-08-2014, 12:09 PM
You's have reminded me to open my xtra/yahoo email - which I have not opened for 4 months or so.

Billy T
20-08-2014, 11:06 PM
To be honest, it sounds like none of this is Spark's fault. They are not responsible for advising you or assisting with how to set up a service that another provider (Orcon) is giving you.

Well..........In my view it really was/is Telecom/Spark's obligation to provide full and accurate 'hand-over' information to their customer, as they are the original providers of this service.

They are now changing their system, so they sent out an email advising that some users with non-xtra hosted domain names and its associated email may be unaware that Xtra servers were being used to send these emails, and that configuration changes 'may' be necessary. Spark was one party in a three-party (customer, Orcon & Xtra) cooperative arrangement to provide my business with a particular facility. If they wished to cancel that arrangement, it would not be unreasonable to expect them to explain the basics and refer their client to the other 'partner ISP' (which they had named) to obtain the correct settings. Instead, they only provided their own information, and nothing at all for the known partner that was being dropped, leaving the impression that only a change in Xtra's settings was required.

I understood the principles, so I read the instructions contained within that email and that was where I ground to a halt, because there was insufficient information for me to make the necessary changes, and they did not indicate that it would be necessary to contact my '@domain-name' ISP.

It would have taken just one short advisory to clarify (generically) what and how, and even less to say: "please contact your Domain ISP' to obtain your new settings".

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

21-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Well..........In my view it really was/is Telecom/Spark's obligation to provide full and accurate 'hand-over' information to their customer, as they are the original providers of this service.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Not really.....
your Orcon email wasnt setup on your PC correctly. That isnt Sparks fault
If your domain email was with Orcon, then you should have been sending domain email via Orcon (not sending via Spark)

There is no info Spark needed to provide for a handover to Orcon. You organise it all with Orcon (& delete all settings that point to Spark/xtra)

FYI....some Orcon buseness users MAY be using the xtra smtp, as Orcon did/does have some blacklisting issues & some emails got blocked
But using xtra to send your domain emails is like replacing a Lada with a Yugo.
;)

inphinity
21-08-2014, 10:51 AM

That's kind of akin to saying it is NZTA's fault when your mechanic doesn't repair your car correctly, because after all, you drive on their roads. Orcon are providing the domain-based mail service, it is their responsibility to provide you all relevant settings. Spark are providing your internet connection only in this case.

If you happen to choose to still use Spark's service for your outbound mail, well, then you would need to follow Spark's instructions on verifying a third-party email address (http://help.spark.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/1547) to relay through their mail servers. But really, if you're paying Orcon for a mail service, use them for the whole service, to simplify any issue resolution.

Anyway, it sounds like you've got it resolved, and your service provider came to the party, so all good :thumbs: