PDA

View Full Version : Files being deleted while viewing folder

SpankyMcGrits
18-08-2014, 11:14 AM
I have a refurbished Asus laptop that has been doing this word PPP weird thing since I got it. It will randomly start sending files to the recycle bin when I open a folder. I thought it may be some sort of virus so I reinstalled Windows (8.1), but the problem persisted. After installing Ubuntu and having the problem continue, I accepted it was a hardware problem. I could hold down the escape button when the problem reared its head and sometimes I would get an error in Windows that "COM Surrogate has stopped working". Now, after putting the HDD (very small and thin, even for a laptop) in my desktop and reinstalling Windows (7 this time), the HDD doesn't even show up in the BIOS, let alone boot.

So... I'm thinking dead hard drive? Plus, since I've got that problem with I guess the keyboard, should I even bother buying a replacement?

Just wanting to see if anyone else knows what is going on here.

KarameaDave
18-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Does sound like a faulty keyboard, they generally sell for around $40-50 on Trademe, can be a mission to replace depending on the model, may be worth it if the machine is still otherwise OK and not too obsolete. Up to you to decide.
The hard drive: does it spin up?
If so you may need to disable 'quick POST' in BIOS so it can be detected.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Altho if its not showing up in the BIOS, its either faulty or the cables are stuffed somewhere

KarameaDave
18-08-2014, 12:18 PM
On this machine (ibase MI945X motherboard) a new hard drive will not be detected under quick POST, and does not show in BIOS.
I have to disable quick POST to detect it for one boot, once it has though I can re-enable quick POST and it is there.
I just thought that that could be a possible cause, but the drive could well be faulty or a cable not connecting.

SpankyMcGrits
18-08-2014, 12:24 PM
It's a Q200e. Cheap model. I'll check out that website you mentioned.

SpankyMcGrits
18-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Well, I put the HDD back in my desktop to see if it still worked and it does. Still no luck in my laptop and I did turn off fast boot. Sigh...

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Does this laptop support UEFI in the BIOS?? Since I think its made for Win8?? And the version of Windows 7 you were trying to install on it, is it 64 or 32 bit??

Because if it does support UEFI and if Win7 is 32 bit you have to disable UEFI. Because (from what I've read), 32 bit doesn't support UEFI

SpankyMcGrits
18-08-2014, 01:05 PM
No, it doesn't. Plus it was 64 bit Win 7. Maybe I should try Windows 7 32 bit. Although, in the SATA configuration it does see the HDD. It just doesn't show in the boot options.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 01:17 PM
So when you boot from the Win7 DVD (if the hdd is detected in the BIOS) does it (the hdd), appear in/on the setup screen?? So you can install something on it? I would also try updating the BIOS on this Q200E, if you know what the exact model is

SpankyMcGrits
18-08-2014, 01:23 PM
The laptop doesn't have an optical drive, so I installed windows while I had the HDD in my desktop. I will try updating the bios. Should show up in a quick Google search.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 02:36 PM
If you've got a valid key for windows 7, (and its not in use now), and a flash drive, I would get an ISO (depending on the version of windows you've got) from here (http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/)

Get rufus from here (http://rufus.akeo.ie/). Put the flash drive in a port, run rufus make sure the letter for the flash drive appears at the top in rufus before you format it.

Then select the ISO, and it'll copy the contents to a flash drive. Once it finishes, leave the flash drive in, go into the BIOS select it as the bootdisk, then boot from it

Then see what happens. Putting an hdd into another system, doesnt always work

wainuitech
18-08-2014, 06:56 PM
The laptop doesn't have an optical drive, so I installed windows while I had the HDD in my desktop. Bad Idea, different hardware, different drivers required, so there's a chance it wont boot, or if it does you can still end up with endless BSOD's or running like a bucket of you know what ;). Many people say it will boot fine and automatically install Drivers, doesn't always happen. :(

You really should install the OS Via a USB Drive as speedy mentioned.