PDA

View Full Version : CPU's at 100% when trying to get on the Internet

lostsoul62
18-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Every time I click on the Internet Explorer the CPU's go to 100% and stays there and can't get into the Internet. Everything else works, not a Providers problems because all other computers work fine. This computer is a dual processor and have been fine for years and now today we have this problem. Anyone has any ideas what could be wrong?

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 07:45 AM
What version of windows is it?? have you checked for malware?? Have you tried another browser to see if it goes to 100%?

lostsoul62
18-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Windows 7, How can I get another browser installed?

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Look in task manager is there anything else with high CPU usage? Are there any weird entries in programs and features / startup??

dugimodo
18-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Try this to reset explorer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
It's possible you have a dodgy add on or some malware so maybe a malware bytes scan would be useful or go through the addons and remove what you don't want.

You can easily install firefox or chrome by downloading from their websites (I guess on another machine) but you should still sort this out as it might spread to other browsers also if it's malware.

Krakka
18-08-2014, 11:03 PM
I had that last night - I decided to leave my laptop turned on and let it do it's thing.
Turned out Adobe Flash player was wanting to update itself and slowed the whole laptop down. - all good now.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Good point, that flash updater is a memory hog. Thats why I dont let it create a task, when I install it. But if it does I delete the task. And download the install file manually. Instead of it checking for updates automatically