PDA

View Full Version : Livestream Computer

dpDesignz
16-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi Guys!

Hey I'm wanting to get a computer, whose sole purpose will be to stream a livestream (http://new.livestream.com) video (so it needs to support flash).

I bought a Model B+ Raspberry Pi, but the CPU was getting killed and the video lagged :(

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap, but powerful enough either laptop, or Desktop Tower, or something of the sort? It needs to have HDMI as it will be streaming straight to a TV.

I was looking at an Intel NUC, but they aren't very cheap with an OS... :(

Webdevguy
16-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi Guys!

Hey I'm wanting to get a computer, whose sole purpose will be to stream a livestream (http://new.livestream.com) video (so it needs to support flash).

I bought a Model B+ Raspberry Pi, but the CPU was getting killed and the video lagged :(

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap, but powerful enough either laptop, or Desktop Tower, or something of the sort? It needs to have HDMI as it will be streaming straight to a TV.

I was looking at an Intel NUC, but they aren't very cheap with an OS... :(
Are you only wanting to stream flash format video or are you wanting to stream mpg video as well.
We need more details around the streaming of video? Is it for watching movies? A series of sports events? A security camera? Constant streaming of videos off YouTube and Vimeo or what?
What's your budget?

KarameaDave
16-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Minimum System Requirements for Broadcasting Livestream
from their website
Pentium Core 2 Duo 2Ghz or Higher
4GB RAM
700Kbps upload bandwidth
Dedicated video card, 256MB VRAM
Windows XP / Vista
Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (v20.0.89)
Mac OS X 10.6 or higher (v20.2.0)

Recommended System Specifications for Broadcasting

Quad Core CPU
4GB RAM
1500Kbps upload bandwidth
Dedicated video card, 512MB VRAM
Windows Vista / Windows 7
Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (v20.0.89)
Mac OS X 10.6 or higher (v20.2.0)

Optimal (for HD Multi-Bitrate Streaming)

Quad Core i7-2600 series CPU or better
8GB RAM
5Mbps or better upload bandwidth
Dedicated video card, 512MB VRAM
Windows Vista / Windows 7

For viewing

Viewing Broadcasts on Livestream

Minimum Technical Requirements
Browser

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.32 or above
Internet Explorer 8.0 or above, Firefox 2.0 or above, or Safari 3.0, or Chrome 4.0 or above
Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Microsoft Windows Vista, Macintosh OS X v10.4 or above, or Linux
256 megabytes (MB) of RAM - 512 MB recommended
JavaScript and Cookies must also be enabled.
Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher resolution
16-bit sound card
Speakers/headphones

Internet Connection Speed

For a reliable viewing experience at medium quality we recommend a downstream connection speed of at least 700Kbps.
Viewers can select a higher (up to 2Mbps for HD) or lower (198Kbps for low) video quality on the player depending on the connection speed.

http://www.livestream.com/userguide/?title=System_requirements

dpDesignz
16-08-2014, 04:44 PM
@webdevguy I purely want to use it only for WATCHING a LIVESTREAM video (new.livestream.com) :-)

No budget, just want to watch a video. Will be livestreaming an event. Just need 2 USB slots (t-stick and mouse/keyboard) and hdmi out (to tv).

Webdevguy
16-08-2014, 09:55 PM
@webdevguy I purely want to use it only for WATCHING a LIVESTREAM video (new.livestream.com) :-)

No budget, just want to watch a video. Will be livestreaming an event. Just need 2 USB slots (t-stick and mouse/keyboard) and hdmi out (to tv).
Ok sweet, well I think that karamea Dave has posted the relevant specs. Not sure if they will lead you to a cheap PC though.

psycik
16-08-2014, 09:57 PM
I've just bought I gigabyte brix. $234 used but needs ram and hdd. So total cost is about 500.

Includes an amd a8

Webdevguy
16-08-2014, 11:03 PM

I remember watching the skiing )slalom and half pipe) last year at Cardrona on live stream last winter. It was good coverage except for the persistently crappy weather for the duration of the competition. I was watching it on my iMac. But could easily have watched it on my fiances PC laptop.

dpDesignz
17-08-2014, 12:22 AM
I've just bought I gigabyte brix. $234 used but needs ram and hdd. So total cost is about 500.

Includes an amd a8

Awesome! Where did you get yours from and what OS did you put on it? :)

dpDesignz
17-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Ok sweet, well I think that karamea Dave has posted the relevant specs. Not sure if they will lead you to a cheap PC though.

Thanks man. I was actually asking if anyone had any suggestions or advice on what to get. I already had the specs needed after the Pi didn't work ;)

dugimodo
17-08-2014, 10:29 PM
You could look at one of those ex lease machines that some shops like PB tech seem to have in bulk. Something like this http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=EXWKSSIL1002&name=OFF-LEASE-Silicon-business-System--C2Q-2.6GHz--C2D
They have smaller tidier and cheaper ones, I just filterd for 4GB of RAM and picked one as an example.

Even if you picked one of the cheaper models and did a RAM upgrade if it needed it. I used to use an optiplex 755 core 2 duo as my media machine and it played/streamed everything I threw at it with ease even before I upped it to 4GB of RAM.
My foray into coin mining left me with excess hardware though so it got replaced with something faster and I gave it away.

KarameaDave
18-08-2014, 08:51 AM
So the mining didn't pan out then?

Would the greater efficency of the nVidia Maxwell architecture have made
enough difference? It would be hard to beat ASICs and FPGAs though.

dugimodo
18-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Lets not to hijack the thread, I'll answer but lets leave it there. Happy to discuss coin mining elsewhere.

I got into it too late to make any money, if I'd started at least 3 months earlier I would have made a bit and a year earlier I could have potentially made quite a lot.
The Maxwell architecture only served to catch Nvidia up to AMD in terms of mining viability but was too late to make an impact. The difficulty of Litecoin mining has risen to the point some time ago where the power costs of running a mining rig in NZ exceed the value of the coins you get in return, if you wanted to invest in litecoins you can get them cheaper by simply buying them.

While not many people currently have the ASIC's they do exist and are contributing to ever increasing difficulty, mining litecoins with GPU's is no longer worthwhile. If you could order one of the ASIC's and receive it within a week it would likely make you good money, but with uncertain supply times in the range of several months it's a complete gamble as to whether you could make a profit at all by the time it turns up.

I more or less broke even by the time I sold of most of the hardware, might have lost 200-300 but kept some of the hardware so maybe not.

dpDesignz
18-08-2014, 10:09 AM
You could look at one of those ex lease machines that some shops like PB tech seem to have in bulk. Something like this http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=EXWKSSIL1002&name=OFF-LEASE-Silicon-business-System--C2Q-2.6GHz--C2D
They have smaller tidier and cheaper ones, I just filterd for 4GB of RAM and picked one as an example.

Even if you picked one of the cheaper models and did a RAM upgrade if it needed it. I used to use an optiplex 755 core 2 duo as my media machine and it played/streamed everything I threw at it with ease even before I upped it to 4GB of RAM.
My foray into coin mining left me with excess hardware though so it got replaced with something faster and I gave it away.

You my man are a genius! I didn't even think of looking there. Thanks :)