PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update won't work on Win7 Pro Laptop

straka01
14-08-2014, 07:01 PM
I bought this Laptop on TradeMe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=752939074.
It was bought to run powerpoint to a projector in a hall.
We installed Power Point Reader as it doesn't have Office.
Every time we try to connect it to the projector it crashes with the 'blue screen of death'.
Yet another Laptop from a friend with Win7 (Office 2010) will operate it without any problem.

Now, something that may be causing it is that it won't perform a Windows Update.
Comes up with this error repeatedly: error0x80072EFD

How do I overcome the update issue?
Hasn't been updated since June 2013 going on the Update History....
I've read lots of forums & tried various things but no good.
Is this error caused by a 'NON LEGAL' version of Win7 ?

I don't know what to try next.

Thanks in anticipation.

pcuser42
14-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I had a laptop that refused to run Windows Update, the issue turned out to be a failing drive - might be worth looking at.

CYaBro
14-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Try removing the Intel Storage Controller drivers (if they are installed) and this will make Windows use its default drivers.
We've seen this a few times with the Intel drivers causing strange issues with Windows Updates and other stuff in Windows.

wainuitech
14-08-2014, 08:41 PM
If you want to check to see if the OS is a legal or pirated version, while its this is not a 100% guarantee its a good way to find out if its a common illegal key.

Download a key finder, a couple you can use are: http://www.sterjosoft.com/key-finder.html or https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Run the program, it will show the installed Product key, copy /paste into a google search. If it shows results ( usually torrents and such) its Illegal.

Sometimes if its a factory Install, it will say in google results as being such.

I've read lots of forums & tried various things but no good.

Have you tried the 1st answer from: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_updating/error-0x80072efd/f2cc90cd-430d-4dce-beb5-0157259bc1ea or http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/windows-update-error-80072efd#1TC=windows-7

Tbird650
14-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I had a laptop that refused to run Windows Update, the issue turned out to be a failing drive - might be worth looking at.
+1 for failing drive. Only a month ago I updated before it died completely. The event viewer had dozens of "harddisk bad block" entries. Worth a look.

straka01
14-08-2014, 09:30 PM
OK, I've just tried those two Microsoft links on the Laptop - 404 error - page not found! I've made the homepage the NZHerald & that works fine.

I'm going to try the keyfinder & see what that comes back with.

BTW - the guy that sold the Laptop to me has suggested reloading windows - as a last resort I'll try this option.....

I've run a Scandisk & asked it to repair bad sectors - all went OK - no bad sectors.

No Intel Storage Controllers are loaded...

Lawrence
14-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Have used tweaking.com a couple of times to correct Registry permissions Win 7

Maybe worth a shot http://www.tweaking.com/content/overview/default.html

straka01
14-08-2014, 10:33 PM
OK, good idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

wainuitech
14-08-2014, 10:38 PM
If you wanted to check the real condition of the HDD, try Crystal Disk Info Direct link (http://sourceforge.jp/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/58588/CrystalDiskInfo5_6_2Shizuku.zip/?use_mirror=jaist) (It will take a few moments for the download box to open) unzip it, run the program. It will give you a more accurate health of the drive, Scandisk / chkdsk doesn't always read it accurately.

OK, I've just tried those two Microsoft links on the Laptop - 404 error - page not found! I Retried the MS links and they work fine. If something is stopping them from opening, you could have malware. Some malware can stop any security sites or program updating sites from opening. ( Including Windows update) If its got malware that can cause the crashing mentioned as well.

pcuser42
14-08-2014, 11:26 PM
If it's infected and a one-task machine, personally I'd just reinstall rather than trying to fix it. :)

linw
14-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Don't overlook the Update troubleshooter on the update window. I wasted hours on a new laptop not updating before clicking that troubleshooter. It said there was a problem and fixed it. No problems after that.

Not saying this will fix your issues but it is quick and painless so why not click it?

dugimodo
14-08-2014, 11:52 PM
There's no reason the windows would not be legitimate, the laptop came with it from new and the key is no good to anyone else. All name brand consumer laptop's come with a pre-installed legitimate OS, putting an illegal copy on would just be pointless unless it was anewer version, according to the hp website this one comes with win 7 pro.

I see from the trade me link the seller re-installed windows, maybe he didn't get it set up correctly. It could be a fault with the drive as suggested or it could just be a corrupted or incomplete windows (or an update) install.
Have you tried a system restore at all?

It always amuses me when sellers list all the free / bundled software they've installed as if it's a selling point.

straka01
15-08-2014, 08:18 AM
OK, presumming that the OS is on a seperate partition on the HDD..... what's the easiest way to reinstall?
Should I Format C before I reinstall?

wainuitech
15-08-2014, 09:13 AM
If you wanted to put it back to factory default re-install, With HP's from memory you keep tapping the F11 Key Immediately after powering on / while its starting, and select Recovery. Follow the instructions and it will do it its self.

DONT format the drive manually, if you do you may wipe the recovery partition, then you will have to re-install from a DVD using the COA on the underside of the laptop, as well as download all the drivers etc.

Some dont have a recovery option (like above) or a pain to get going, so what you do is start as normal, go to start/All Programs, look for a folder called Maintenance, Recovery or something like that. In there will be the options to do a factory recovery OR make a set of recovery DVD's.

Alex B
15-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty sure the Pro/EliteBooks don't have a recovery partition as they come with recovery CDs from new. There is a Hardware test, inc HDD built into the BIOS. If the HDD test passes do a BIOS and Display Driver update from the HP site.

wainuitech
15-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Some of the Elite do and some don't have a recovery partition, depends on when they were manufactured.

Something sounds "fishy" though. :illogical

In the trademe advert, it states
Re-installed & tested (excellent condition). Yet in post #1, its also mentioned
Hasn't been updated since June 2013 going on the Update History.... So unless it was reinstalled over a year ago and just been sitting around, somethings not quite truthful.

15-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Before you do any re-format or re-image..
make sure the Windows install key on the COA sticker underneath is readable . Sometimes they get worn out & cant be read.

Alex B
15-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Some of the Elite do and some don't have a recovery partition, depends on when they were manufactured.

Something sounds "fishy" though. :illogical

In the trademe advert, it states Yet in post #1, its also mentioned So unless it was reinstalled over a year ago and just been sitting around, somethings not quite truthful.

He probably just didn't install Windows updates. Or may have used an old updates dvd or something. No reason to jump straight to the conclusion the seller is being ungenuine....

wainuitech
15-08-2014, 01:20 PM
He probably just didn't install Windows updates. Or may have used an old updates dvd or something. No reason to jump straight to the conclusion the seller is being ungenuine....

Easy way to tell if its just been reinstalled.

Open a CMD, type in cmd /k systeminfo or a shorter version from CMD type in systeminfo When it loads (takes a few moments) look for Original Install Date, it should say exactly the day / Year and time it was installed, along with a lot of other info.

Agent_24
15-08-2014, 02:06 PM
It always amuses me when sellers list all the free / bundled software they've installed as if it's a selling point.

Some people are suckers...

Alex B
15-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Meh I have done it before, just so novice users know it has AntiVirus/something to open word documents etc.

Agent_24
15-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Meh I have done it before, just so novice users know it has AntiVirus/something to open word documents etc.

Yeah but half of those listed in that auction are unnecessary

pcuser42
15-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Office and the like plus antivirus is fine, most of the rest of it is just bloatware. ;)

straka01
16-08-2014, 04:03 PM
I can't find a recovery partition or any link in Maintenance either.
I have made a Recovery / Boot CD. Tried using it to see if I could reload the OS - only had repair or replace with image (which it doesn't have).
So didn't continue with that option.

Currently I'm doing a HDD test - takes ages. Then I'll try updating the BIOS & Display driver from HP.

I will also check the Original Install Date (thanks wainuitech).

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 04:06 PM
If it can get it online, I could have a look with teamviewer if you want. That error you posted at the beginning of this post, looks like its a connection problem

straka01
16-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes, that's what it keeps saying. But it's connected to our Wi Fi & I can go online anywhere & download whatever.
So I thought I'd remove Comodo & disable windows firewall - no difference.
Still doing the HDD test - part 2 (comprehensive - probably another 40mins to go!)

After checking further (in update history), it has installed a few updates late last month but keeps getting stuck on Security Upgrade KB 2835361.
We think that... if the PC can be updated it may fix the issue as explained below.....

This is the message I got from my friend when he was trying to marry it up with the projector: -
<i>I have not been successful in connecting the Plus Projector to the HP Laptop computer. I can get the laptop to connect wireless to the projector but cannot get it to work ! Whenever I set it up and choose between laptop display only/ laptop and projector/ many displays/ projector only, I get the Blue Screen of Death and the system shuts down. It has now done it three times and I am fearful for the machine ! I checked and the display has the latest Driver.</i>

This is why he gave the laptop back to me to fix it.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Install teamviewer on it and if you havent run ccleaner if its installed, we'll find out whats causing the crash. If you decide to do this send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM

straka01
16-08-2014, 05:05 PM
OK Speedy.... will work on that next.

It completed the comprehensive HDD test OK & passed. Updated the BIOS on bootup (set that up in the BIOS).
Checked the system Info. & found it's warranty start date was 29/4/11.

I tried going to update the Display Driver at www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup but got a bit lost. Seems I needed the Serial nbr which I've now found out is CNU 1171 GJV.

Put in the boot disk again & Windows is loading files b4 it gives me the next option - which I think gives an option to repair - might try that next?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 05:21 PM
It's probably one of these (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-search.html?tab=1#/qryterm=HP%20EliteBook%208460P&search_searchtype=s-002)

straka01
16-08-2014, 06:45 PM
OK, I've been to the HP website & joined up.
Then I've downloaded the latest Video Graphics driver & installed.
Found that the original install was 16.10.13 via systeminfo.

After updating the BIOS and GRAPHICS I tried a Windows Update - still the same problem is stopping the update.
It's obviously not a connection problem unless the Update is tryng to go through a disconnected connection type .... if that's possible?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Have a feeling this was on a domain. I checked the registry and the WU server was 192.168.1.200 so I deleted it. Also stopped the WU service, renamed the softwaredistribution folder, then started the service again. So far so good it's checking for updates.

26 updates came up. Just have to see if they install now. Then may have to reboot to see if this managed by your system admin disappears

straka01
16-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Well done Speedy. What do I owe you?

Hopefully now it'll run the projector with powerpoint - that's what i bought it for.
I haven't got the projector here so can't check the connection.

wainuitech
16-08-2014, 07:29 PM
"Sometimes" the update folder gets corrupted and no amount of fixing in the world will repair it.

Had to do this many times, when all else fails. Sometimes works sometimes not.

Open a command prompt, click start, type in CMD, right click the result / Open as Administrator. When it opens, type in net stop wuauserv close the CMD window once it says its done.

Got to My Computer/ C Drive/ Windows, locate the SoftwareDistribution Folder, right click it - Delete

You can now do one of two things, open a CMD again and type in net start wuauserv or reboot, (I normally reboot)

Now manually try windows update again. If it doesn't work then theres some other cause.

Edited: SNAP basically he same thing Speedy did.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 07:30 PM
I've disabled auto restart (dont use anything to remove temp files) so we can see what the crash says Straka. Try connecting the projector again after a reboot. We'll see what happens / what it says (if it does crash)

WU is working now WT. After I deleted 192.168.1.200 in the registry. It's installing 15 updates of 25 now. Will reboot it after

wainuitech
16-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Damn strange the WU was set to a Local LAN IP, this would indicate the laptop WASN'T freshly installed as it says in the Trademe Advert --- As I mentioned earlier, something didn't seem quite truthful. :)

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 07:37 PM
It looks like windows update was trying to update from 192.168.1.200? Since this ip was alongside WU server in the registry. We'll see if managed by system admin disappears after the reboot

KarameaDave
16-08-2014, 07:37 PM
So if the updates don't fix the bluescreen issue you may need to use
the windows driver verifier to isolate the troublesome driver, then use an alternate one, assuming there is such.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

I am picking a conflict between graphics drivers and projector, personally.

straka01
16-08-2014, 07:38 PM
As I said, the projector is 15 miles away & not available to connect to.... however, I guess we can run the software & see what happens?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 07:40 PM
No harm in trying. See what happens. And what are you using to connect to it?

wainuitech
16-08-2014, 07:42 PM
As I said, the projector is 15 miles away & not available to connect to. Loooooooooooooooong Cable ? :D

Lawrence
16-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Have you looked speedy to see if windows 7 is legit?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Try to if I can get in again lol. Altho it did check for updates now then installed them? I'll get that MS file to check if it's legit or not

straka01
16-08-2014, 07:48 PM
I was thinking that maybe the software would run without crashing the PC this time & come up with a 'connect to...?' request?
It's probably the best we can do at present without the projector available?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 07:51 PM
What software are you using to connect to the projector? So you tried it again and it didnt crash, but it didnt connect either?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Right got rid of the system admin message under change settings (under windowsupdate). You couldn't change it. It was ghosted

You have to open regedit then go here, so you can select whatever

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU (Make sure you delete them under the AU key). If there's anything else here (besides a default key) delete it / them

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Just updated the wireless drivers on it (Intel centrino were from 2010 - the ones from the Intel site are from Jan, this year) since I've read (not so long ago), that some versions of this driver were/are a bit dodgy / buggy. So, we'll see if they connect to the projector wirelessly (sounds like its got wifi on it somewhere), whether it crashes again. Or works

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Oh one more thing Straka. I think I saw version 6 of Java in programs and features. If you use it you should uninstall that version. And install the latest version (http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp)

Old versions have vulnerabilities

jayal
19-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Wonder if this is relevant
On August 2, Microsoft began pushing out its monthly bundle of Windows security patches and feature updates via Windows Update. By August 5, hundreds of users’ PCs were failing to boot after being powered off; the infamous Blue Screen of Death appeared. Some tech-savvy users traced the problem to a handful of patches in the August 2 release. On August 15, Microsoft pulled the flawed patches from Windows Update and advised users to uninstall them.
you need to uninstall four security patches that were installed (automatically or manually) on or after August 2, 2014. All Windows security patches have the prefix “KB” followed by a number. The four numbers you are looking for are: 2982791, 2970228, 2975719, and 2975331.
This flaw ONLY affects 64-bit versions of Windows 7 or 8.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Nope this prob isn't the same as the BSOD/s with the latest updates. I posted about the BSOD'S in the other forum

This system must have been part of some domain. Because it was trying to get updates from 192.168.1.200. That's why windowsupdate didnt work / failed to look for updates at all. It couldn't even check for updates, it didn't get that far

I had to go into the registry on this system, and delete the above ip address, and delete what I posted so the administered by system admin message disappeared. So we could change the settings for windowsupdate in control panel (you couldn't before, because it was disabled)

jayal
20-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I'll make a point of reading the other forum now Speedy, haven't bothered with it much - cheers Jayal