PDA

View Full Version : New ISP

ianhnz
13-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Hi guys.

I know this is all about, personal opinion, but ya gota ask.

Looking at changing our phone line, broadband etc away from Telecom.

I friend of mine that fixes computers etc, said that the smaller companies, can be better as less people on line...

We using around the 40 GB data and fiber is available, but unsure on that.

So be interested in any, constructive comments.

Ian

Alex B
13-08-2014, 03:33 PM
What is the reason you are looking to change? Are you unhappy with Telecom's speed? A change in ISP may not change that, as it could be a line issue. A change to fiber will fix it, but it will still depend on who you go with for your internet to some degree. Telecom isn't bad speed wise.

bk T
13-08-2014, 03:36 PM
If you don't have any special major issue which you have to change, stay where you are.

pctek
13-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Looking at changing our phone line, broadband etc away from Telecom.

I friend of mine that fixes computers etc, said that the smaller companies, can be better as less people on line...

In some cases, yes.
Actrix, Inspire, Snap and Xnet have good helpdesks.
Not necessarily cheap and not necessarily faster service - as they may have to go through Chorus anyway, depending on the issue.

Telecom, for one of the big players, is fine.

ianhnz
13-08-2014, 06:16 PM
What is the reason you are looking to change? Are you unhappy with Telecom's speed? A change in ISP may not change that, as it could be a line issue. A change to fiber will fix it, but it will still depend on who you go with for your internet to some degree. Telecom isn't bad speed wise.

Speed is part, of it.
An ex neighbour works for Chorus and said we should be getting at least 12.
Our normal is between 5 & 6 and 7.5 on a really good day.
I know fiber is the way to go and in the last few weeks it's put through to our outside connection point. Or maybe just a tracer wire to pull through.
Telecom/xtra or what ever, don't seem to have many plans, that would suit us.
We have the $75 deal and they offered us a $135, which, of course the wife said no!!!
I guess I'm just fishing and wanting to know whats out there.

plod
13-08-2014, 07:55 PM
The good news is you're no longer with telecom, bad news is you are with spark. Joking aside, have you looked into vdsl. Sparks $85 dollars plan looks like it might suit you.

Ofthesea
13-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Check out Trustpower for package price, it might beat the competition (phone, power, broadband). No idea what the service is like

decibel
13-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Speed is part, of it.
An ex neighbour works for Chorus and said we should be getting at least 12.
Our normal is between 5 & 6 and 7.5 on a really good day....

Your ex-neighbour should have told you to firstly suspect your house wiring.
Check line speed of your copper connection (by logging into your modem) and compare it with one of your neighbours.

A new ISP won't help if it is slow.

ianhnz
13-08-2014, 11:12 PM
The good news is you're no longer with telecom, bad news is you are with spark. Joking aside, have you looked into vdsl. Sparks $85 dollars plan looks like it might suit you.

Yes, I do like the idea of, VDSl.
Problem is we are 2.8 Km's from the exchange, you have to be under 2.

ianhnz
13-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Your ex-neighbour should have told you to firstly suspect your house wiring.
Check line speed of your copper connection (by logging into your modem) and compare it with one of your neighbours.

A new ISP won't help if it is slow.

Our house was built about 6 1/2 years ago, so wiring should be okay.
I'm guessing a full rewire would cost a few bob.
Yes, must talk to my neighbor and see what they get.

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Sort of, it's not so clear-cut... Flick me your address in a PM and I'll run a prequalification (Prequal) check on your address and let you know what you can get and what you should expect.

pctek
14-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Check out Trustpower for package price, it might beat the competition (phone, power, broadband). No idea what the service is like

Are you kidding? No idea about the ISP part of them but their power prices are at the far end of the expensive scale.
Service.....well I know a couple of people who work there on the call centre end, they have no IT experience at all.

Greg
14-08-2014, 10:22 AM
I'll run a prequalification (Prequal) Urm... anyone can do their own prequal check.

linw
14-08-2014, 10:46 AM
With very limited disclosure it is hard to be constructive. It is essential to provide the modem connection stats such as basic rates, line attenuation and SNR (signal to noise ratio).

In addition, what was the $135 quote for? Their unlimited data plans seem to be $109.

If you can get fibre, go for it. All the copper, adsl and internal wiring issues gone. Entry level plans are $75-85.

Alex B
14-08-2014, 11:47 AM
What is the make and model of your modem?

Chilling_Silence
14-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah unfortunately it looks like you're well outside the VDSL2 range. Sync speeds should definitely be higher than 7mbps though, so check in your router and see what you're getting according to the router. If your throughput isn't ~90% of that, it's likely your ISP causing the issue.

UFB Fibre is probably your best bet :)

inphinity
14-08-2014, 12:16 PM
If you want more speed, you either need to get your wiring sorted, or get fibre. If you want a higher data cap, you say you're on $75 atm (which iirc is 40GB) - $85 gets you 80GB for the next plan up with Spark, or that same $85 can get you Fibre30 with 40GB ($95 for Fibre30 with 80GB). The $135 you're talking about - presumably $139? Which is Fibre100 Unlimited.... so you'd be going from the slowest, lowest plan, to the fastest, highest.

ianhnz
14-08-2014, 12:58 PM
What is the make and model of your modem?

Telecom, Technoclour.

ianhnz
14-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah unfortunately it looks like you're well outside the VDSL2 range. Sync speeds should definitely be higher than 7mbps though, so check in your router and see what you're getting according to the router. If your throughput isn't ~90% of that, it's likely your ISP causing the issue.

UFB Fibre is probably your best bet :)

Is this the data you require?

DSL Connection

View more...

Uptime: 34 days, 16:40:52
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.016 / 9.099
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]: 1,60 / 310,52

Technicolor Gateway

Information

Product Name: TG582n
Serial Number: CP1228VFH5K
Software Release: 8.4.4.I

Configuration

Service Name: Routed PPPoA on 0/100 (modified by user)
Date & Time: Thu, 14-Aug-2014 13:01:26+12:00

ianhnz
14-08-2014, 01:05 PM
If you want more speed, you either need to get your wiring sorted, or get fibre. If you want a higher data cap, you say you're on $75 atm (which iirc is 40GB) - $85 gets you 80GB for the next plan up with Spark, or that same $85 can get you Fibre30 with 40GB ($95 for Fibre30 with 80GB). The $135 you're talking about - presumably $139? Which is Fibre100 Unlimited.... so you'd be going from the slowest, lowest plan, to the fastest, highest.

Yes, was the 100 plan.
I asked for the lowest and the fastest plans.
Most seem to be 30, so while faster not too fast.
I have a Netbook fully on Linux Mint 17, 32 bit and our desktop is set for dual boot Linux 17 64 bit and 32 bit Vista.
I understand that Linux will be better on Fiber.
Is that correct, with the 64 bit?

Chilling_Silence
14-08-2014, 03:01 PM
General browsing will be better overall, for every device.

The 30mbps plan will make a huge difference, you should look to that :)

linw
14-08-2014, 11:44 PM
+1. just get it.