PDA

View Full Version : Cat will not eat

mzee
11-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I have a 16 year old cat which is usually quite normal for its age, but recently it got very picky with its food and now will not even eat fish which usually goes down well. She is not incontinent and does not seem to be in pain except for a little stiffness, like myself due to age. Drinks quite a lot of water.

Any ideas would be welcome.

wainuitech
11-08-2014, 08:15 PM
When ever our Dog doesn't eat ( in the past) its been because shes not well. Could be a large number of reasons, but in the end, if you care about your pets, and things are wrong take them to the Vets, get expert advise.

Could be nothing, or something minor, but better to find out for sure before things get bad / worse.

Found the following: http://www.banfield.com/pet-health-resources/pet-health-concerns/emergency/what-does-it-mean-when-your-cat-won%E2%80%99t-eat

Bryan
11-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Is she overweight? Drinking lots of water could mean a kidney concern or diabetes. Cats cane be picky over food but usually get back onto the program soon enough. Nice she is drinking though.

I would suggest that she should have a date with a Vet.

Agent_24
11-08-2014, 09:42 PM
My cat doesn't eat sometimes when he's got a big hairball ready to throw up

Terry Porritt
11-08-2014, 09:59 PM
At 16 she may have reached the end of her days. Kidney failure is most common in old cats.

inphinity
11-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Vet check would be my suggestion, to be honest

Ofthesea
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
A cat will not eat what they cannot smell. Try something stronger like a can of sardines in case the cat just has some sort of cat cold. If it works mix it with normal cat food

pctek
12-08-2014, 08:44 AM
A cat will not eat what they cannot smell.
+1
But unless it has cat flu that's unlikely.
Vet time, there are a lot of reasons for it, can be furballs - if there is a blockage it can't shift for instance, sometimes that can be in the bowels, not stomach.

Or something else, and cat is not well.

CliveM
12-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Take her to the vet.

12-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Perhaps its just old age crankyness, & being less active now, it doesnt need to eat everything it see's .

kenj
12-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Perhaps its just old age crankyness, & being less active now, it doesnt need to eat everything it see's .

Sounds like me...except for the appetite bit :)

Ken

B.M.
12-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Had a similar experience with our 14yo cat.

It drank up good but didnít eat for a couple of days so off to the Vet we went.

Vet couldnít find anything obvious so he gave it an injection, relieved me of $100, and advised me that he would have to do scans and X-Rays if the cat still wasnít eating in a couple of days.

So, I took him home in one of these cat cages and when I opened the door he virtually flew to his feed bowl and scoffed the lot.

What was in that injection I have no idea but he hasnít been on a hunger strike since. ;)

One thing you have to be aware of though is that if a cat can get a feed more to its liking elsewhere, they arenít backward in swapping pastures as it were. :D

mzee
12-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I was going to take the cat to a vet today, but she has decided to eat a little, looks Ok and does not appear to be in pain, no cough or runny nose. I will wait a few days. I get my off days too! Has a voice like my son's mother in-law :(

Bryan
12-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Ahha! She's just had enough of you for the moment.

lakewoodlady
13-08-2014, 09:25 AM
She might have teeth problems. Painful toothache in a cat will stop them eating. If you can get her to open her mouth, have a look for inflamed areas on her gums.

LL

pctek
13-08-2014, 04:26 PM
If you can get her to open her mouth, have a look for inflamed areas on her gums.

LL

If you can get her to open her mouth - the stench alone would tell you.
Glen Eden vets have a special on dental for animals at the moment.

Jen
13-08-2014, 08:14 PM
How's the cat today? :)

lakewoodlady
13-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Had a similar experience with our 14yo cat.

It drank up good but didnít eat for a couple of days so off to the Vet we went.

Vet couldnít find anything obvious so he gave it an injection, relieved me of $100, and advised me that he would have to do scans and X-Rays if the cat still wasnít eating in a couple of days.

So, I took him home in one of these cat cages and when I opened the door he virtually flew to his feed rbowl and scoffed the lot.

What was in that injection I have no idea but he hasnít been on a hunger strike since. ;)

One thing you have to be aware of though is that if a cat can get a feed more to its liking elsewhere, they arenít backward in swapping pastures as it were. :D

The injection may have contained a pain killer/anti inflammatory. Didn't you ask?

Greg
14-08-2014, 09:02 AM
+1
+2

I suggest lightly cooked rindless fatty bacon.

R2x1
14-08-2014, 10:37 AM
The injection may have contained a pain killer/anti inflammatory. Didn't you ask?
Asking cats is not even as productive as telling them. ;)

15-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Asking cats is not even as productive as telling them. ;)

I see you never tried telling a cat to do something then
:-)

R2x1
15-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I tried, usual result. ;)

wainuitech
15-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I tried, usual result. ;)

From the Cat:

:tui:

LOL