PDA

View Full Version : Fibre in our street

pcuser42
10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Within the next week we should have fibre outside our house :D

My uncle has offered to help us connect it up, but is there anything else we might need to know? Do we need a new modem? What sort of speeds can we expect? (Currently getting about 6Mbit/s down and 0.8Mbit/s up)

wainuitech
10-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Theres usually different plans from the suppliers. Telecon :D Have a page that more or less will answer all the questions http://www.spark.co.nz/shop/internet/ultrafibre/?gclid=CJaot9bMh8ACFcQHvAod6j8ALw&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNy29NbMh8ACFUETvQod2RwAEA

I'm waiting for them to start coming here to try and get us to change -- They have just finished putting it in down our way.

Wont happen though --- more than happy with Vodafones/Telstra plan & speed ( max 130 / 10 ) I'm currently on.

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2014, 02:16 PM
lol I think that site needs fixing. It says I cant get vdsl, adsl, or fibre. Well I'm not on dialup. Hmm this modem (TD-8980) here I've just purchased says it support fibre / cable. With the interchangeable WAN/LAN port. But I'm not too sure

But besides that its not too bad with the 4 GB ports, 2 USB ports, and dual band. Pity about their site, it's more dead than alive lol

Cato
10-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Within the next week we should have fibre outside our house :D

Lucky, lucky you. My area isn't even on the chorus map for 2016 :(

linw
10-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Don't rush the gun. It will be a while before they will be connecting customers. Pretty much all ISP's offering UFB will have a router for your use. This gets updated remotely by the ISP.

Have a look around for installation info as there is plenty around. Fundamentally, the installer installs an ONT that has fibre in and ethernet out. The ethernet connects to the WAN port of the router. This router provides wifi and voip (except Spark don't do voip yet but they will soon when they get their act together).

You can provide your own router but it has to do vlan tagging on the wan port. You would also have to organise voip service, unless you were going with Spark.

Note, you don't get a modem. You need a router.

Speeds to local servers depend on what you order. 30/10, 100/50 or whatever is being supplied. Look at what ISP's are offering. Naturally, actual download speeds depend on lots of things so don't expect to download stuff from outer Mongolia at full fibre speeds!

My Orcon speedtest just now is 27.76/9.32 to a local server and 15/6.5 to LA.

Chilling_Silence
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah as mentioned they'll blow through there and carry on their merry way but it could be another 3 months before Chorus starts accepting connections.
From there, expect another 3 months delay, especially if you're down a right-of-way.

Whatever device you have needs to support VLAN 10 on the WAN, for UFB or VDSL2. The likes of Speedys ADSL2+ router do not.

If you're signing up for a 30/10 plan, you should expect 30mbps down and 10mbps up (Well, 90% of that, so 27 down and 9 up). You may not *always* get that internationally, but even with minimal multithreading you should get pretty damn close to it. If you're not, your ISP is oversubscribing their international circuits and you should look at shifting. I've heard mixed results from people on Slingshot and Orcon, even on 30/10 Orcon some people can't do HD 720p YouTube (Though it is HD-Verified)!!

Just don't expect overnight installs... There's a reason the uptake is so abysmal!

pcuser42
11-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Whatever device you have needs to support VLAN 10 on the WAN, for UFB or VDSL2. The likes of Speedys ADSL2+ router do not.

We've got the TL-WR1043N - does that? :p

Chilling_Silence
11-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Nope.

Apparently you can do some manual hackery with OpenWRT but I wouldn't recommend it.

Paul.Cov
16-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Bit of a coincidence, I came home to a 'spark' card that was announcing Fibre available in my street. 3 times the speed, 40GB plan.

Pffft! Use half the data in a third of the time? No thanks! I'd rather go slow and have a bigger plan, even tho I only reach my cap 1 month out of 4. Running out or being overcharged for 'extra' data is a bigger pain than going slowly.

wainuitech
16-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Had similar as Paul--- Had them around here saying they could offer faster for cheaper, SWMBO answered the door and I heard her say can you beat 130 and unlimited for cheaper than we are getting with Telstra /Vodafone ? They walked away :D

johnd
16-08-2014, 08:46 PM
....expect another 3 months delay, especially if you're down a right-of-way......
About 6 months for us!!

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2014, 10:20 PM
About 6 months for us!!

I've just had somebody finally get all the approvals, 5 1/2 months of me chasing it twice a week, and they're now onto the design phase. Finally...
This is exactly why some ISPs still have a sign-up fee for UFB, and why the take-up rate of UFB is so abysmal. Chorus are just freakin' terrible!

Alex B
17-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Had similar as Paul--- Had them around here saying they could offer faster for cheaper, SWMBO answered the door and I heard her say can you beat 130 and unlimited for cheaper than we are getting with Telstra /Vodafone ? They walked away :D

They can by not having the worlds worst transparent proxy.

Re UFB install, I asked for an install to be done on 28th of this month. Chorus tell me the install is booked for this date, the overhead line was put in last friday, so far so good.

gary67
17-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Our Snap Fritzbox has started dropping the WIFI so I have to contact them this week about it as its only 6 months old