PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - best anti-virus etc?

Greg
09-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I noticed that my friend's Win 7 has Defender built in - is this adequate defence against nasties?

Nick G
09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
No, not really, it's not the same as a full AV program.

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2014, 03:37 PM
It may not be better but even some of the paid for AV programs are worse

wainuitech
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Haven't actually seen Windows Defender stop anything yet. ;)

Keep away from Trend Micro as well, got a PC here right now riddled with infections and up to date trend says its clean :groan:

dugimodo
09-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Totally not, the windows 7 Defender is a basic anti-malware tool as opposed to the windows 8 one which is also an anti-virus.
As a minimum you'd want to upgrade to microsoft security essentials which is the equivalent of windows 8 defender and is free.

Add MBAM as a backup and apply some common sense browsing habits and that's an adequate protection (but not the best or great) for sensible computer literate people. It's what I've used for several years without incident.
If your friend is the sort of person who's prone to clicking on website alerts or installing software by spamming next until it's finished they'll want something better (like NOD32 for example).

11-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Ive seen 'nasties' get through EVERY commonly used antivirus program. All of them.
Ive seen AV completely fail to detect virus's that could be seen with the Mk1 eyeball (suspicious exe in the startup folder)

So the answer is yes, & no.
Win Defender is probhably not that good, but if you do stupid things you could get infected no matter what AV you use.
Thats why its often the same people getting re-infected over & over again, despite have the recommended AV.

Common sense is the best protection.
Personally, I would put on a better AV, either NOD32 or Avast .

Greg
11-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Personally, I would put on a better AV, either NOD32 or Avast .Is it people's opinion that I should/could use Avast (free) on my own Win 8.1 machine?

Nick G
11-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Out of the free AV's, Avast is my favourite.

Greg
11-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Is it people's opinion that I should/could use Avast (free) on my own Win 8.1 machine?Or will it conflict with 8.1's Defender in some way?

I find it uncomfortable not being able to scan a downloaded .exe file specifically with Defender before running it.

autechre
12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Or will it conflict with 8.1's Defender in some way?

I find it uncomfortable not being able to scan a downloaded .exe file specifically with Defender before running it.

No, not likely to conflict (I run Avast as well), but you can disable Defender. Its practically useless if you have other anti-malware apps installed.

Greg
12-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I went with installing MSE on her Win 7 machine. We'll leave it at that, given that its virtually a disposable lappie.

Thanks tons as always for the help folks.

stevenvanduyn
13-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Forget about defender or MSE what it use to be called
Avast free version is ok to use but it does have annoying pop ups sometimes and some false alerts
I have used pc cillian ( not bad ), Kasperky very good. but for the last year or so i have used Bit defender on both of my machines and i have to say very good . ( read the reviews about antivirus software and bit defender is no 1 or 2 for the last few years ). better to be protected well as virus can come through e-mails, websites, usb sticks and also skype.

linw
13-08-2014, 08:25 AM
No, not Avast, unless you want to see your comp slow to a crawl. Certainly, with older comps, Avast will cripple them.

blanco
13-08-2014, 10:07 AM
The Avast problems mentioned in posts 12 and 13 can be avoided by setting
updates to Manual, not Auto which is over-frequent.

wainuitech
13-08-2014, 10:37 AM
The Avast problems mentioned in posts 12 and 13 can be avoided by setting
updates to Manual, not Auto which is over-frequent. There's one big problem with setting any security software to manual -- people are lazy -- They may do it once or twice, then its to much bother, and sooner than later they stop doing it.

Seen it countless times you advise people to run manual updates on programs like MalwareBytes ( As an example) and a year later when you go back it still had not been run from the previous visit.

blanco
13-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Agree with your comments Wainui. I run the definitions update every day
at a time that suits me, so avoiding the all too often auto update.
Also run Win update daily and Secunia PSI weekly.
As you say, many users would not bother to be as orderly.

ruellesmith
14-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Windows Defender isn't really enough for me. I always install a good anti-virus. Avast or Eset would always work well for me.

gary67
14-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Avast and Eset are not in the same league, one works brilliantly the other doesn't and its called Avast

15-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Avast and Eset are not in the same league, one works brilliantly the other doesn't and its called Avast

Utter rubbish

ESET IS NOT the perfect AV that you imply.
Ive loaded it on hundreds of PC's over the years, Ive seen it occasionally fail miserably in detection & removal.
If it was so good there would be no need for malwarebytes etc

I've also loaded Avast on hundreds of PC's without issue.
Avast is OK IF YOU DO A MANUAL INSTALL & untick all the options in the middle.

If you doing something stupid, neither will protect you.
Its often the user NOT the AV thats the issue .

kahawai chaser
15-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Utter rubbish

Avast is OK IF YOU DO A MANUAL INSTALL & untick all the options in the middle.

If you doing something stupid, neither will protect you.
Its often the user NOT the AV thats the issue .

Agree. Avast runs well for me after customizing. It also has the useful software update notifications, for common software like adobe pdf, browsers, and others.

wainuitech
15-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Doesn't matter what AV is installed, nothing is perfect. The average user will install a program and simply go next next next and leave it at that, they don't know how to do any customizing.

Just re collected a persons PC, they had been infected badly just over a month and a half ago, they had avast originally which was totally destroyed by the infections / Malware. Reinstalled it as it was so bad and unstable.
Put in a trial Nod32 for month, called them a couple of weeks back to advise the trial was ending and they said they had no problems with Nod, it was stopping a lot of the things the kids were trying to download, BUT they didn't want to pay for it, so they removed Nod and put Avast back ------ Its infected AGAIN :rolleyes: with the same types of infections.

Sure NO AV is perfect and you cant protect against stupid acts by users.

stevenrossvanduyn
15-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Doesn't matter what AV is installed, nothing is perfect. The average user will install a program and simply go next next next and leave it at that, they don't know how to do any customizing.

Just re collected a persons PC, they had been infected badly just over a month and a half ago, they had avast originally which was totally destroyed by the infections / Malware. Reinstalled it as it was so bad and unstable.
Put in a trial Nod32 for month, called them a couple of weeks back to advise the trial was ending and they said they had no problems with Nod, it was stopping a lot of the things the kids were trying to download, BUT they didn't want to pay for it, so they removed Nod and put Avast back ------ Its infected AGAIN :rolleyes: with the same types of infections.

Sure NO AV is perfect and you cant protect against stupid acts by users.

We are using NOD at work and its not bad i have to say but bit defender has a better detection rate