PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Video Card Ugrade

dpDesignz
09-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Ok so I'm needing to upgrade my video card and I have a couple of questions.

I have a EVGA X58 SLI 3 Intel X58 i7 DDR3 ATX USB 3.0 SATA 3/6G (131-GT-E767-TR) with a ASUS Geforce ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP 1GB DDR5 PCI-E and I want to get something bigger.

I'm looking at something like https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=22036

My questions are
1. Will this work with my motherboard?
2. Will I still be able to use my current video card beside this as a second card?
3. Would anyone have any reasons why I wouldn't get this one or have suggestions for a better/another one?

I do mostly video production and graphic design, and the odd gaming where I can. I want to spend about $900 max.

Thanks all! :)

icow
09-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Ok so I'm needing to upgrade my video card and I have a couple of questions.

I have a EVGA X58 SLI 3 Intel X58 i7 DDR3 ATX USB 3.0 SATA 3/6G (131-GT-E767-TR) with a ASUS Geforce ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP 1GB DDR5 PCI-E and I want to get something bigger.

I'm looking at something like https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=22036

My questions are
1. Will this work with my motherboard?
2. Will I still be able to use my current video card beside this as a second card?
3. Would anyone have any reasons why I wouldn't get this one or have suggestions for a better/another one?

I do mostly video production and graphic design, and the odd gaming where I can. I want to spend about $900 max.

Thanks all! :)

1) Yes (as long as the powersupply is up to it)

2) Yes depending on how you want to use it. You can have 2 non-identical gpus in one system but you won't be able to run them in SLI. Your old graphics card could be used to run extra displays or being an nVidia card you could use it as a dedicated physx card. Once again you would need to check to see if the psu is up to it though I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue as I doubt the load on the second card would be very high.

3) Depends. I don't think you'll do better for $900 on a single card. At $1000 you could look at a 780ti (although it would likely be the 3gb model) or 2x r9 290's (but I take it you want to stay in the nvidia eco system).

Agent_24
09-08-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work with your motherboard as long as it has a free PCI-E 16x slot.

I think you should be able to use both at once, but I am not sure. It may depend on the board and drivers, someone else can answer that I'm sure.

dugimodo
09-08-2014, 10:25 PM
You are shooting really high compared to a 460 which is a mid range card of it's generation. Does your video production software use Nvidia cards and is that why you want that much grunt?
for the "odd gaming" it's a bit overpowered (but that might be a good thing).

As a reference to game with current titles @ 1080P with the settings cranked up generally requires a GTX760 or better with some games maybe needing to drop the setting slightly. A 780 would let you game at high res or multi screen.
Other than that it's a great card, just confirm the power supply requirements as icow mentioned.

dpDesignz
10-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys!

So I only have a 650w power supply, so I'm thinking I might need to get a new one? It's currently powering my Motherboard, current card, 3x DVD reader/writers, 1x Blu-ray drive, 1x multimedia slot, 1x SSD, 3x HDD, and I think that's it. Taking this into note, what size PSU would you recommend I get?

I don't mind about not running SLI, I never use it. I was thinking of using my other card to run a third display or dedicated card as icow noted.

I couldn't really see what the Ti would give me over the standard? But then again I don't really know much about these. :).

@dugimodo, When I built my system in 2011 the 460 is what I was recommended by quite a few people, but now it's very low spec to what I want, hence the want to upgrade. :). I use Adobe CC for my software, and as I understand it they support Nvidia the best. But I want something that will work and I can max out easily without much issue. :). any other suggestions with supporting reasons would be much appreciated! :D

Agent_24
10-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Bear in mind there is more to a power supply than just the wattage rating on the label.

dpDesignz
10-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Bear in mind there is more to a power supply than just the wattage rating on the label.

Yea I do. Thanks. :). But yet again that's why I'm asking here for help ;).

My current PSU is a Corsair HX650 650W Modular Power Supply

dugimodo
11-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Put your intended specs in this calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and it'll tell you what size power supply you need. As long as it's a good brand and over that you should be fine.
I have personally run 2 x R9 280X's off a 650W PSU no problems at all so I'm optimistic that it could be enough. You may find a 780 can run 3 monitors itself though, many Nvidia cards can now.

My comments about the 780 where just meant to point out it's a high end card compared to what was a mid range card a few years back. The current equivalent would be the 760 and they are surprisingly capable cards for the price.
That said if it was me personally I'd go for at least a 770 and if the budget wasn't too tight I'd get the 780. The choice is spend less and upgrade more often or spend more and it should last longer.

dpDesignz
11-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Sweet! thanks for the advice :)