PDA

View Full Version : Quick Linux question, or not.

ianhnz
07-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Just installed Mint 14, 64 bit as a dual boot, with my Vista.

Been playing around, with it, for a couple of days and getting bit frustrated.

My question is, how does one remove it and restore to Vista only?

Thanks,

Ian

Webdevguy
07-08-2014, 11:10 PM
What are you finding frustrating about Linux Mint?

Nick G
07-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Firstly, make sure you have a live USB of a Linux Distro handy.

Boot into it, wipe the HDD partition you have Linux installed on. Then resize your Windows partition to use up the excess space or whatever you want to do.

Then, still in the Live USB, open up the terminal and run the command sudo grub-install /dev/sdX - replace x with the correct place for your bootloader, A in 99% of cases. So sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Shut down, take out Live USB, boot back into Windows.

KarameaDave
08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
What I do in this case is boot to windows, open an elevated command prompt and then use bootrec to restore the windows bootloader, this is preferable to Nicks' suggestion, it is faster to boot as it no longer has to boot to grub first.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 10:49 AM
What are you finding frustrating about Linux Mint?

Yesterday, I thought I'd have a play arround when wife out and 2 things stood out.
First was trying to set up printer. It finds it, Canon Mf2260 and says downloads drivers.
I try to do a test print and says, can't find printer. So I does it again and same result.
The second was I have all my documents on a seperate drive. Go into word processor and finds them. Good. Go in again latter and have to search for them, again.
Just not sure if it's worth the hassell and frustration.
There was a 3rd, but lost it now. I try and remember and let you's know.

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Firstly, make sure you have a live USB of a Linux Distro handy.

Boot into it, wipe the HDD partition you have Linux installed on. Then resize your Windows partition to use up the excess space or whatever you want to do.

Then, still in the Live USB, open up the terminal and run the command sudo grub-install /dev/sdX - replace x with the correct place for your bootloader, A in 99% of cases. So sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Shut down, take out Live USB, boot back into Windows.

So that'll replace the windows boot setup?
I looked at my system restore and it's deleted all the backups, so can't even restore it..

KarameaDave
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
System restore will not rebuild the bootloader, so is irrelevant in this case.
The method I have outlined or a session with the recovery console are the only ways to rebuild the master boot record and enable direct booting of Windows, of course if you have a better method...?

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 11:42 AM
System restore will not rebuild the bootloader, so is irrelevant in this case.
The method I have outlined or a session with the recovery console are the only ways to rebuild the master boot record and enable direct booting of Windows, of course if you have a better method...?

Thanks for the link.
I've saved it to my desktop and will check it out.

Nick G
08-08-2014, 01:44 PM
So that'll replace the windows boot setup?
I looked at my system restore and it's deleted all the backups, so can't even restore it..
Basically it'll wipe your Linux setup but keep Grub, my personal preference.

If you'd rather replace Grub, then yea, KarameaDave's method is the way to go.

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Basically it'll wipe your Linux setup but keep Grub, my personal preference.

If you'd rather replace Grub, then yea, KarameaDave's method is the way to go.

Whats this Grub?

I had a look at website, but still non the wiser????

Webdevguy
08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Yesterday, I thought I'd have a play arround when wife out and 2 things stood out.
First was trying to set up printer. It finds it, Canon Mf2260 and says downloads drivers.
I try to do a test print and says, can't find printer. So I does it again and same result.
The second was I have all my documents on a seperate drive. Go into word processor and finds them. Good. Go in again latter and have to search for them, again.
Just not sure if it's worth the hassell and frustration.
There was a 3rd, but lost it now. I try and remember and let you's know.

So you don't like the unexpected difficulty of stuff you are not familiar with, fair enough.

Nick G
08-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Whats this Grub?

I had a look at website, but still non the wiser????
Grub - Grand Unified Bootloader - the bootloader you installed when installing Linux Mint :).

Agent_24
08-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Grub is a bootloader which allows Linux (and many other things) to boot.

It has to be installed when you install Linux, as the Windows bootloaders can only handle Windows and DOS (of course)

Even if you do not have Linux installed, you can use Grub as a bootloader for Windows if you like, but it would be a bit pointless.

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 03:11 PM
So you don't like the unexpected difficulty of stuff you are not familiar with, fair enough.

I started off, last century, with dos, 6.22.
Then Windows 3.00, 3.1 & 3.11, Windows 98SE, XP and finally Vista.
I know that Linux is gona be a massive learning curve, but with my health, I’m sure I’m really up to it.
What I really need is a mate that can come around and help me, with the hands on stuff.

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 03:13 PM
What I do in this case is boot to windows, open an elevated command prompt and then use bootrec to restore the windows bootloader, this is preferable to Nicks' suggestion, it is faster to boot as it no longer has to boot to grub first.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

This is my next project, but not today.
Have the link, on my desktop, all ready to go....

Webdevguy
08-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I started off, last century, with dos, 6.22.
Then Windows 3.00, 3.1 & 3.11, Windows 98SE, XP and finally Vista.
I know that Linux is gona be a massive learning curve, but with my health, I’m sure I’m really up to it.
What I really need is a mate that can come around and help me, with the hands on stuff.
That does make the learning process a lot less frustrating. I understand that Linux Mint is one of the more user friendly Linux distros to set up.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint

ianhnz
08-08-2014, 06:26 PM
That does make the learning process a lot less frustrating. I understand that Linux Mint is one of the more user friendly Linux distros to set up.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint

Yes it was fairly easy to get it running.
Been using it on a Netbook, for a little while, but could get the printer working with that, either

Nick G
08-08-2014, 06:45 PM
For drivers, go http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100466201.html

Download button near the end of page, will hopefully do the trick

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2014, 07:08 PM
And install the drivers for the printer first (dont connect the printer) until the install tells you too

zqwerty
09-08-2014, 12:50 AM
I have tried quite a number of Linux distros and I also had problems with the Printer not working correctly, I found that this helped:

To start Printer

In Terminal: sudo service cups restart

Always made the Printer work on my Zorin instal and I think the PCOSLinux instal as well.

Agent_24
09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
And install the drivers for the printer first (dont connect the printer) until the install tells you too

Not sure if that applies in Linux.

For the record, I've used my iP2000 and MP250 both in Linux with the included drivers and both worked just fine. Although the driver functionality was rather lacking.

Nick G
09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Not sure if that applies in Linux.

For the record, I've used my iP2000 and MP250 both in Linux with the included drivers and both worked just fine. Although the driver functionality was rather lacking.

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, I've always had to connect the printer and turn it before installing CUPS and LPL drivers.

Agent_24
09-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, I've always had to connect the printer and turn it before installing CUPS and LPL drivers.

Exactly.

Rod J
09-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Yeah, getting some hardware working in Linux can be a pain ... no doubt about it. It's simply because the hardware manufacturers aren't falling over themselves to make their stuff work as they do with Windows; can't do much about that really.

I had quite a battle to get my old Lexmark Z531 printer working in Kubuntu. I had to do some research, found out that another Lexmark driver worked with that printer then setting it up was a real fiddle and didn't go exactly to plan. But in the end I succeeded.

You just have to be prepared to put in a little more effort and time into getting some things working in Linux. If you don't want to bother that's fine ... up to you really. Things are improving though. Getting my current printer (Brother DCP-J140W MFC) was a doddle in comparison to the Lexmark because Brother supplied a Linux driver for that printer/scanner and it was relatively easier to get working.