PDA

View Full Version : Laptop not accessing internet

Roscoe
07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
My laptop no longer accesses the internet. I wondered if the broadband was down, but Telecom said all is okay so I tried it with the PC and no problem. The modem is working okay so I can only think that something has been accidentally turned off on the laptop. It is accessing the modem as I can see the icon in the bottom right which tells me that it is connected and just to make certain I clicked on the icon which shows me an icon of the modem with the word "connected" underneath.

So it seems something has been turned off. What can it be?

Thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2014, 10:40 AM
So how is it connected? Wireless or ethernet cable?

Roscoe
07-08-2014, 11:37 AM
So how is it connected? Wireless or ethernet cable?

It is wireless. The PC also operates on wireless and that is running okay, so it seems that it is something wrong in the laptop.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Is the button if you press one for wireless on / lit up??

Roscoe
07-08-2014, 12:15 PM
The light is lit up and underneath the wireless icon it says "connected" so it seems as though the laptop is connected to the modem but for some reason is not connected to the internet.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Try disconnecting / connecting it again from the taskbar

Roscoe
07-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Thank you Speedy. I tried that but that has not worked.

There is no problem with connecting to the modem. That works fine. I think that there must be something on the laptop that I have accidentally turned off because it will not connect to a website.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Unless something has ticked proxy / or added one in a browser or something. Will it update??

I would also look under network connections and in device manager. See if its actually working

Roscoe
07-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, Speedy. Unfortunately none of that worked so I decided on taking a friend's advice and did a system restore which cured the problem. Nice to have it fixed but it would have been good to have known what the problem was.

Thanks for your contribution, Speedy. Much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2014, 08:50 PM
No probs