PDA

View Full Version : would this All-in-One Computer be suitable?

pct
05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi there I'm after a desktop to play movies on through a projector...just wondering if the specs of this computer would be good enough? (was looking at something with better graphics but thought this seems like a good deal with Windows 8 n all)

If not would the processor &or graphics be upgradeable?

Thanks heaps

19.5inch Non-Touch Display
Windows 8 Operating System
Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
4GB Memory
500GB Hard Disk
Camera
Intel Celeron 1017U 1.5GHz Processor
Optical Drive - SuperMulti DVD Drive
Intel HD Graphics
12 Months Warranty

pctek
05-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Celeron CPU? Hell no.
Nor does any of that state the brand of parts in the machine, something that does matter. A lot.
1 yr warranty? ****, considering the CPU alone is 3 yrs.....PSU can be up to 5, Ram up to 10 and so on.

Webdevguy
05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Hi there I'm after a desktop to play movies on through a projector...just wondering if the specs of this computer would be good enough? (was looking at something with better graphics but thought this seems like a good deal with Windows 8 n all)

If not would the processor &or graphics be upgradeable?

Thanks heaps

19.5inch Non-Touch Display
Windows 8 Operating System
Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
4GB Memory
500GB Hard Disk
Camera
Intel Celeron 1017U 1.5GHz Processor
Optical Drive - SuperMulti DVD Drive
Intel HD Graphics
12 Months Warranty
What's your budget?
<$500
$500 - $999
$1000 - $1499
$1500>

And any preference over brand of PC?.. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Mac..?

pct
05-08-2014, 05:08 PM
thanks guys...lucky I held off on buying that acer then

budget is up to $500 but less is best :thumbs:
no preference over brand, just something with good graphics & decent specs...would quite like Windows 8 but not essential

& does not need to be an "All-in-one" pc, have everything just need the box. was only interested in the all in one because it was fairly cheap

Greg
05-08-2014, 05:22 PM
The processor seems to be the weak point, but never having used a projector I can't say for sure... but my guess is that it'd all be fine.

wainuitech
05-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Keep an eye on some of the sales that happen every other week at Harvey Normans and such, you can pick up a higher powered laptop for not much more. but Celerons are Budget , low powered CPU's = Cheap The Cheap units,what ever they are, are cheap for a reason.

CYaBro
05-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Also be aware that not all all-in-one machines have any video outputs that allow you to connect a projector.

pctek
06-08-2014, 08:55 AM
thanks guys...lucky I held off on buying that acer then

Acer......terrible brand, ECS motherboards with a lifespan of 5 minutes.

pct
06-08-2014, 10:57 AM
thanks for your help guys

I found some specs someone roughly had said I needed or that they used for their setup...

Intel Core2Duo E8400 at a minimum (dual core 3Ghz).
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD5400 video cards (2x, one for the local monitor and one for the projector)

they were running XP mind you, I'd likely be putting windows 8 on it.

I see PB tech are having a sale today... could someone tell me how this would compare please

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB1421&name=PB-1421-AMD-Quad-Core-Upgrade-Box-AMD-A8-6600K-Qua&qr=mail__12-HR2_24

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2014, 11:08 AM
If you want whatever shows on the monitor on the projector, and if the videocard has VGA HDMI and DVI (and the projector has one of these), I dont think you need 2 cards

The pbtech is quad core so maybe faster than dual core (2). And you may not need a separate card for the Pbtech one. It's onboard

Altho according to some sites the HD8750D on the Pbtech site isn't that great

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2014, 11:52 AM
There's quite a few laptops on the Pbtech site, for under 500, but most are celerons or chromebooks

pct
06-08-2014, 04:40 PM
There's quite a few laptops on the Pbtech site, for under 500, but most are celerons or chromebooks

thanks for that speedy, am really after a desktop for this anyway

Re that desktop from PB Tech, just wondering how you get the drivers etc loaded on it? I have a copy of windows here but not sure about the drivers..thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2014, 05:49 PM
If you mean the AMD system, you would have to find out what the motherboard is that's inside the case. Altho windows 7 and 8 will install most of the drivers on the hard drive anyway.

The only drivers you may need are the videocard drivers, (If you want more options / features) and the chipset drivers (if they're on the motherboard manufacturer's site)

I just finished building a system a few weeks ago. And installed Windows 8. The only drivers I installed, were the chipset, video and audio drivers. Windows 8 installed the drivers for everything else.

Altho, there's not much in this case anyway. Only an SSD, a DVD writer a TPM module, and onboard video

It depends on the version of Windows you're installing. On what drivers you need

pct
06-08-2014, 07:13 PM
thanks Speedy

anyone know of anywhere I can get something like this : http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB2028&name=PB-2028-AMD-Quadcore-Gaming-Upgrade-Box-AMD-FX-Qua

around the $500 mark ?

icow
06-08-2014, 07:31 PM
You probably won't be able to. They appear to be selling the pc at a price similar to what you would expect to pay if you purchased the parts individually: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/kdG3NG (which unless there is some kind of sale is almost always the cheapest way for a consumer to buy a pc).

If you're only going to be watching movies you really don't need very powerful hardware at all, older low profile graphics cards like the nVidia 210GT and Radeon 5450 should be more than powerful enough. Even integrated Intel stuff should be good enough (HD 3000/4000 should easily be good enough).