PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a lappie to external monitor and keyboard?

Greg
04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
What cables and ports do I need on each machine? My friend's oldish XP PC has become impossible to work with (multiple weird issues), so I've given her my working ex-Vista laptop machine, upgraded to Win 7. But she hates it (too small at 15.6"), and needs to use her existing decent LCD monitor and full size keyboard.

The laptop is about 4 years old, her monitor about 6 years.

All updates were done as of yesterday. It has 4 gigs of sheeps.

I'm keen to get her up and running asap as she's reliant on it for her business and she's giving me headaches about it.

Please help! :crying

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Buy a wireless keyboard/mouse with a dongle. Depends what connections are on it. If its got HDMI buy an HDMI cable. If the monitor has HDMI. If the laptop and monitor have VGA, buy a VGA cable

wainuitech
04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Depending on what your current keyboard and Mouse are, if they are USB, simply plug them into the USB ports on the Lappy, they will take a few moments to load in drivers,and away they go.

Monitor, being Vista / 4 years old good chance it will be a VGA port. Simply plug in the cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the laptop. Sometimes it will pick up the external display automatically, other times you may first need to reboot. If that doesn't work, then have a look along the F keys, there will be a key displaying monitor, press that ( may need the FN key as well) and it should switch the display over to the monitor.

Total cost 0
Saving your friends ( and your) sanity - Priceless ;)

04-08-2014, 02:06 PM
........ as she's reliant on it for her business and she's giving me headaches about it.

Please help! :crying

make sure its doing backups, just to cover your butt if something goes wrong.
Sounds like you're now responsible for issues with it
:)

Greg
09-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replies - I successfully installed the monitor and keyboard via my older lappie... almost entirely without drama. Have tons of tweaking to do, but it was virtually pain-free - even the Internet connected no probs including my own wireless lappie's connection.

And of course 1101 I backed up and/or copied all of her important files.

Thanks again as always folks.