PDA

View Full Version : Need Good Keyboard for HTPC

learning
03-08-2014, 07:24 PM
I just bought a Logitech K400r trackpad keyboard to use with my Intel NUC PC connected to my TV.

To my dismay the range sucks! It doesnt pick keyboard further then a meter. It came with new batteries.
I simply plugged the USB dongle that came with the keyboard and sat about 4.6 meters with clear line of sight to the dongle but it does not respond to any keys or mousepad.

I am not sure if i need specific Logitech drivers to install to fix this issue or if this is really just a sucky basic keyboard
If anybody has any suggestion to fix this please let me know or if there is a better keyboard with mouse track pad i will go for that.

I dont mind pay extra $$ but i definitely i want something that i can use from 4.5 meters from my couch to control my PC which is sitting on the TV stand.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Did you turn it on?? It does have a switch. I've got the same kb here on the new build. It can be a bit erratic when you use the trackpad on it. Try putting the adapter on it. Sometimes this helps

You dont need drivers but you can get / install the unifying software and setpoint from the Logitech site

learning
03-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Did you turn it on?? It does have a switch. I've got the same kb here on the new build. It can be a bit erratic when you use the trackpad on it. Try putting the adapter on it. Sometimes this helps

You dont need drivers but you can get / install the unifying software and setpoint from the Logitech site

I did turn it on hence it works from a meter or so. I am guessing you mean the USB extender for the adapter?

I tried that too and same deal. I do have a cordless phone and base station in lounge and not sure if that might have caused or interference or something.
Will try unplugging that also

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Have you tried another pc /to see if it works?? or another USB port?? You're not using a hub are you?

learning
03-08-2014, 07:54 PM
let me try another usb slot and i will give another pc a try also and see how it goes. thanks for that suggestion

Also i just checked Logitech site on its specs and it does 10 meters so its gotta be something on my setup i reckon

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Windows is installed right?? Because if you're trying to install windows with a USB 3 port, you need the drivers first. However you can use a USB 2 port to install windows

psycik
03-08-2014, 08:09 PM
I just bought a Logitech K400r trackpad keyboard to use with my Intel NUC PC connected to my TV.

To my dismay the range sucks! It doesnt pick keyboard further then a meter. It came with new batteries.
I simply plugged the USB dongle that came with the keyboard and sat about 4.6 meters with clear line of sight to the dongle but it does not respond to any keys or mousepad.

I am not sure if i need specific Logitech drivers to install to fix this issue or if this is really just a sucky basic keyboard
If anybody has any suggestion to fix this please let me know or if there is a better keyboard with mouse track pad i will go for that.

I dont mind pay extra $$ but i definitely i want something that i can use from 4.5 meters from my couch to control my PC which is sitting on the TV stand.

Cheers

I had one of these and it worked as advertised. I was on windows 7. I don't believe I installed the Logitech software/drivers. But I did have the USB dongle attached via a cable and with the dongle up high on my cabinet

inphinity
03-08-2014, 10:40 PM
I use a k400r (one white one black) on two NUC based HTPCs and get about 8 meters usable range. Do you have anything obnoxious in the way, like metal cabinet doors or something?

04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I use a Logitech Universal remote . Once the HTPC is setup, there is no real need for a keyboard .

BBCmicro
04-08-2014, 11:59 AM
You could always roll-your-own...

Picture shows my current controller, a lap-tray with Microsoft keyboard and Rapoo mouse, both Bluetooth. I tried the range just now - worked OK at 11m (which is as far away as I could physically get). I often use the mouse on the couch-seat next to me as the mouse-pad

The other picture shows my previous keyboard. (Please excuse the dust - I didn't notice it when I took the pic). I have a soft spot for this one - my second after the first one lost writing on the keys and some of the keys started to double-click

I used the Digitech at about 3m without problems. Being able to left-click with one hand while operating the trackball with the other was very ergonomic. But in the end I wanted more keys so went to the lap-tray arrangement

(My 'home theatre' is an i5-3570 on a Gigabyte mini-ITX 'Wifi' MB in the corner of the room. Connects to the TV via Widi at 1920 x 1080 with sound)

learning
04-08-2014, 05:28 PM
I use a k400r (one white one black) on two NUC based HTPCs and get about 8 meters usable range. Do you have anything obnoxious in the way, like metal cabinet doors or something?

Thanks BBC for the alternate option.

inphinity - I have virtually the same setup ! I have a Intel NUC D34010WYKH that has 4 USB 3.0 slots.

I did what Speedy had suggested and guess what, the other USB port enabled me to get it working bit further then before, now I can go up to 2 meters

I don't know what's up with that! If I go beyond 2 meters The mouse/keys stop working.
I expect it go at least 5m since Logitech says its range is 10m.

Currently I can use it from my recliner chair but I cant go to 5m which is where my main couch is. They are all clearly in line of sight.

I will try replacing batteries but they are brand new that came with keyboard. I only have a cordless phone sitting nearby so I don't know if
that could be interfering.

wratterus
04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
I have a K400 too and it's good to at least 7 or 8 meters. Maybe try raising the USB receiver above the PC case or plugging it into a front port? Do you have any other 2.4GHz devices in close range? Router, smart tv, baby monitor, phone etc? If so, temporarily turn these off and see if the issue goes away. If it's a router causing the issues, try changing the channel on your router to either 1, 6 or 11 and make sure you're running a 20MHz channel width.

If it's a phone etc, move it away.

gary67
04-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I have a rapoo ultraslim with built in trackpad working on a raspbery pi running open elec with XBMC al works seamlessly

learning
01-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I thought I would come back and let everyone know about what was the cause of the Keyboard issues since someone else might experience this.

It turns out the issue was interference I believe.
After I plugged the wireless USB dongle for the keyboard into a USB extension cable and just placed the dongle in the shelf below the Intel NUC, it worked like a charm !

Now I can go as far as 10 m with no problem whatsoever !

The Intel NUC is small metallic box and has wireless card I installed in it. From what I understand the internal antennae for the wireless card is the box case itself and perhaps this was causing interference ?

Cato
01-09-2014, 12:06 PM
learning, do/did you have any USB 3 HDDs connected to the machine?

They are notorious for this.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Community-News-and-Announcements/Potential-USB-3-0-interference/ba-p/938826

learning
02-09-2014, 08:35 AM
learning, do/did you have any USB 3 HDDs connected to the machine?

They are notorious for this.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Community-News-and-Announcements/Potential-USB-3-0-interference/ba-p/938826

Ahhh that's very interesting! I did not have a external HDDs connected. But I did have a USB connected FM transmitter and also had my wireless router at back of TV