PDA

View Full Version : Smileys we Love - addon

jayal
02-08-2014, 10:40 PM
“Smileys we love” toolbar is glued to my computer, probably put there by recent young visitors who spend hours playing games – I’ve tried to remove it with the control panel, add/remove & Ccleaner, unsuccessfully. The search option returns a blank. Anyone help me get rid of it please?

Whenu
02-08-2014, 10:49 PM
This might be of assistance.
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/smileys-we-love-removal/

jayal
02-08-2014, 11:07 PM
no joy there Whenu, thanks anyway - there's an annoying advert at right bottom, flickering, "your PC is about to crash - click OK to fix it???

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Check startup there's probably something there so it'll run on startup. Delete it

jayal
02-08-2014, 11:34 PM
nothing there Speedy, only strange one is "VProtect Application" but I have an idea that's to do with AVG - I run Avast - thanks

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Theres a vprot (AVG secure search), and what you said. I think the one youre seeing is malware (https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/135528-removal-instructions-for-vprotect/)

jayal
03-08-2014, 12:10 AM

I disabled that one then Speedy

hopefully here's a snap of that advert on the Pressf1 page

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Delete or disable it with ccleaner if it's installed. Then reboot then use something like malwarebytes to remove the rest of it

jayal
03-08-2014, 12:25 AM
there's no reference to it anywhere that I've looked - done the Ccleaner one, and run MWB - maybe I'll sleep on it till tomorrow, cheers

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Do a full scan with MWB not a quick scan. Also in ccleaner go to options / advanced. Untick the 2nd option on the right then remove the temp files etc again...

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Do a full scan with MWB not a quick scan. Also in ccleaner go to options / advanced. Untick the 2nd option on the right then remove the temp files etc again... And since this is in firefox check addons. If there's something similar here remove / uninstall it

Do you see the same thing in IE??

Lawrence
03-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Some help here http://www.techsupportall.com/remove-how-to-remove-smileys-we-love-toolbar-removal-tool/

Would also run Junkware Removal Tool as well with the others mentioned here

kahawai chaser
03-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Sometimes you need to get into the settings for IE/FF/Chrome and look for unfamiliar search engine and set default, e.g. to Google.

AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) may help - Displays a txt report. Requires a reboot.

jayal
03-08-2014, 02:19 PM
opened the registry Speedy, there's truckloads of references to Smiley, quite lot DLL on the left and on the right, entries of 32 letters & numbers

jayal
03-08-2014, 02:21 PM
thanks Lawrence, done all that, no joy

jayal
03-08-2014, 02:24 PM
thanks Kahawai Chaser, used AdwCleaner & JRT.exe - no joy there either

wainuitech
03-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Since all the above normal programs are failing ( bit odd, but hey !!) Start to bring out the big guns :devil Download and run combofix/ (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/) Please read the Warning in the review.

What ever you do once it starts DO NOT under any circumstances :stare: try to stop it or reboot the computer unless it tells you to. Sometimes it will appear to be doing nothing for quite a while , but it is actually working.

jayal
03-08-2014, 06:34 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can't get past this window

Wainui, downloaded combofix but can't install because of the following

installer integrity check has failed - common causes include incomplete download (seems to be the full file) and damaged media
contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy
more info at http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_error

this make sense? I'm a little wary of downloads at present

plus - Avast had a "hernia" but seemed to accept the download

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Put teamviewer on it if you want. And I can check it out from here

wainuitech
03-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Did You have a read of the article ? http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Why_do_I_get_NSIS_Error

You may find theres error for several reason.

Avast may think its dangerous and an infection ( this can because of the way it works). ( wouldn't trust avast anyway) So you may need to uninstall Avast.
You could have malware running in the background trying to stop it ( but those other antimalware programs "Should" have detected something)
There could be some sort of Corruptions on the system.
Dont use a download manager.

Make sure you click the correct button on the site, its the blue one on the right that says "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" I just downloaded and it came through fine.

Its VERY powerful but Combo fix doesn't actually install completely like some programs.

It currently Says This program does not work on Windows 8.1 at this time! -- Thats written in the review I mentioned to read, ( take it as W8 as well )

You shouldn't really need Combofix as its not usually that hard to remove, often theres an underlying cause, like another program OR more often than not another Toolbar.

Since you are using Firefox: look and see if this applies.

Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Add-ons’ -> ‘Extensions’.
Find Smileys We Love and similar entries, and click ‘Uninstall’.

jayal
03-08-2014, 09:33 PM
will do Speedy, been out to tea why it took so long

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 09:58 PM
No probs if you install it now, send the id and password it gives you to me in a PM

jayal
03-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Speedy
you waiting for this - 265 168 819

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Be in shortly

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Removed Nvidia firewall. It can cause probs. It wouldnt uninstall in programs and features, because the program / folder / installer wasnt there.

So went through the registry and deleted everything with smiley in it. Now its gone. Just doing another scan with malwarebytes. Since I've been in this PC, I havent seen this popup that was posted here. So have no idea where it went. But I would say it's gone

pctek
04-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Combofix is good but not as scarey as it sounds.
I have run it on my own PC to see....

I did not close down my AV as it suggested I do...NOD32 did remove 1 file it put on the PC - did not affect it's operation in any way.

It went through everything and it searches for dodgy stuff, if it errs, it's minor - it removed a couple of things from startup - nothing bad, nothing major - one of them was my printer monitor for instance....

It did not damage the O/S in any way.......

Of course I had no malware but if was thorough.....I can believe malware would try to prevent it's operation, AV did not - as I said, NOD only removed one stored file - not an operation file, and in any case you are not actually meant to run it with your AV active anyway, you can just shut it down temporarily while Combo runs.

Lawrence
04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Looked like Smileys we Love - addon leaves some Registry entries that cause problems

Did find when searching info on the Toolbar that Revo Uninstaller does a better job on getting rid of the entries than the Windows Program uninstall

Surprised the other hard hitters did not get rid of it